Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 01:12 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,778,524 times

Advertisements

Our baseball team does quite well though for support.

We also have minor league hockey, minor league hockey, a small soccer stadium with a mens and womens team (it isn't MLS, it is a slightly smaller league)
A few of the smaller things people always forget.

I think part of the problem is we just have a bigger regional pride in college football and baseball and those do really well.

For pro football it seems we have so many people who move down here prefer to keep their team alliances in pro football more so than others like baseball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 01:28 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,045,533 times
College sports seem much bigger than pro sports here. Other cities that are pro baseball powerhouses don't have any college sports worth mentioning.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:27 PM

937 posts, read 928,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
Downtown. Which is one HUGE reason why I hesitate, downtown ATL seems positively scary and dangerous to me.

I'm also a runner and cyclist, and one of the reasons I'm leaning more towards DEN in that respect is the South and ATL, from what I've read on triathlon forums, doesn't particularly care for active people... but ATL is closer to where my kids currently are. Although the advantage in both cases are the cities being hubs.
Atlanta is NOT bicycle friendly even downtown. Atlanta's built around the car and the government their doesn't put in much effort into alternative transportation. I used to live there, in East Point, GA. It's a small city suburb that's undergoing gentrification much like college park. A part of town I could recommend is probably Hapeville. They seem to be urging an urbanization effort in some parts of it but Atlanta's urbanization efforts are uncoordinated and can't really heal from a mess of a road system.
As far as schools go, you're better off living in the suburbs for your kids. Not much about Atl city schools is great...
Downtown Atl is really more of a ghost town most of the time.
I don't know much about Denver but I've heard it's very bike friendly and has decent schools. Georgia on the other hand has better colleges and universities than Denver. UGA, GT, and Emory being standouts nationally if you're going to worry about future college choices though.
You better LOVE your car if you want to live in Atlanta. Not many other methods of getting around and considering the split between city and suburbs on transit, I don't think it will change anytime soon...

I just moved out of Atlanta to Chicago so I've the right to be opinionated and compare Atl to one of the greatest cities in the world Chicago's very bike friendly.
Good luck too you. Hope I provided some kind of insight.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I don't know about that. Denver still has an NHL team in addition to an MLS team while Atlanta has neither (although the MLS is rumoured to come to Atlanta eventually).

That being said though Atlanta certainly beats Denver in other amenities.
C'mon, you can't really blame Atlanta for not supporting an MLS or NHL team. It's the south. Sports have regional draw. Southerners love football, northerners probably love baseball more, Seattle supports their soccer team. Football is religion in the south and tickets can get expensive. Can't afford to support every team so people are spending money on Falcons, Bulldogs, Braves, and Tech tickets rather than watching sports that most of the south doesn't necessarily care about...
Ice isn't naturally occuring the south so what's this hockey thing ? There are those that care but a majority of the natives and southerners grew up on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday stadium lights gospels.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:38 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
"Support" as in I mean the fans. Atlanta constantly ranks as a bad sport city.
I'm not entirely sure why this is a problem?

Old 10-23-2012, 02:40 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,241,774 times
NHL hockey leaving Atlanta has left a gaping hole in my life.

I hope we will one day get a non-scumbag ownership group in Atlanta that will actually support a hockey team. Despite what many people think, hockey was quite successful here when investments in the team were made. We have lost pro hockey here twice due to bad ownership, not lack of interest.

Burn in hell Atlanta Spirit Group

/bitterness

Old 10-23-2012, 06:06 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,394,956 times
Hey, don't forget - we are getting a Lingerie League football team. Dear God, help us....

Old 10-23-2012, 08:03 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,778,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Hey, don't forget - we are getting a Lingerie League football team. Dear God, help us....
That reminds me! Isn't Hooters Headquartered here!?

I'm sensing competition!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
Atlanta is NOT bicycle friendly even downtown. Atlanta's built around the car and the government their
Quote:
doesn't put in much effort into alternative transportation
. I used to live there, in East Point, GA. It's a small city suburb that's undergoing gentrification much like college park. A part of town I could recommend is probably Hapeville. They seem to be urging an urbanization effort in some parts of it but Atlanta's urbanization efforts are uncoordinated and can't really heal from a mess of a road system.
As far as schools go, you're better off living in the suburbs for your kids. Not much about Atl city schools is great...
Downtown Atl is really more of a ghost town most of the time.
I don't know much about Denver but I've heard it's very bike friendly and has decent schools. Georgia on the other hand has better colleges and universities than Denver. UGA, GT, and Emory being standouts nationally if you're going to worry about future college choices though.
You better LOVE your car if you want to live in Atlanta. Not many other methods of getting around and considering the split between city and suburbs on transit, I don't think it will change anytime soon...

I just moved out of Atlanta to Chicago so I've the right to be opinionated and compare Atl to one of the greatest cities in the world Chicago's very bike friendly.
Good luck too you. Hope I provided some kind of insight.
Chicago and NYC are different cities ,but just like Atlanta they both have draw backs for some people.Chicago has nothing to do with this thread.
Last time I checked,we do have a heavy rail system and Denver does not.And while new there is the streetcar currently being built and a small part will be ready next year,

Not even 10 minutes ago,i took a drive downtown.The only part that was "a ghost town" was the are South of 5points. Even then it was not a ghost town but just some sketchy looking people.People as they usually are were hanging out and walking up and down Peachtree and its side streets from all the hotels.

Has ANYBODY been downtown lately?There are new mid to upscale restaurants.
Alma Cocina - Modern Mexican in Downtown Atlanta - Home in 191 Peachtree

Juke Joint Contact Info

Truva - Seduce your Senses

Cafe Intermezzo

The Anatolia Cafe | and Hookah Lounge

Even Edgewood AVE is the has changed so much in the last 2-3 years

There are many more
Does that sound like a "ghost town"?

Old 10-24-2012, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Snip
Couldn't help but make the comparison. Here's the reason why I called Atlanta a ghost town: Atl does have its pockets of vibrancy but they're so far apart that it's really hard to know where people are. L5P, that one poplar st. downtown I think, west peachtree (I think), and Buckhead (pretty sure more car traffic than PED), and midtown are probably Atlanta's most vibrant spots from day-to-day and outside those avenues, there's really not much going on. If you're not working for one of the major headquarters downtown then there's really not much there for you. Underground Atlanta and the 5 Points section has lost its luster and really needs to reshape its image.
I dunno if you and I are picturing ghost towns the same come to think of it. In my opinion, for the size of the city and metro area, Atlanta really does feel like a ghost town in places where you'd expect more people.
The only problem I have with Atlanta's heavy rail is that it's not optimized by the users and the construction around MARTA stations has mad it extremely hard to do so. The Sandy Springs MARTA stop pisses me off. That station was clearly not meant for PED traffic -___-...
There are places that have impressed recently, Atlantic Station for one... As artificial as it is, is good for Atlanta. There's a similar urbanized creation off of I-20 near Kirkwood. I think that'll be Atlanta's future... I hope. Atlanta really needs to get off the car high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta