Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 01:50 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,352,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
You still never addresses the fact that you base this on income levels when blacks across all education levels make less. This isn't about Morhouses graduates, it's just the state of race relations in this country.
Education level doesn't account for everything. Is a degree from Savannah State equal to a degree from Stanford? Nope, but they both fall into the same bachelors degree bucket. A better way of evaluating this, rather than trying to lump dissimilar things into a huge bucket and trying to make a judgement off of the results, would be to examine not only degree level, but also raw IQ level. Do you think a huge income disparity exists along racial boundaries among MIT graduates? I haven't seen a study the looks at graduates from similar colleges and similar raw intelligence levels. Show me that study and we'll talk about this again. Until then, I will continue to disregard those stats because I don't believe they show the full story.

Last edited by gtcorndog; 10-23-2012 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 02:11 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhsmct View Post
Onthemove2014: Some segments of society still refuse to admit that the "Country Club/19th Hole" employment advantage remains alive and well . . .
Yup. The classic case of "it's not what you know, it's who you know".

That bias exists in many places, and it seems more prevalent here than I've encountered before, but it's as much a social and religious barrier as it is a racial one. Of course, each case is different, and the latter may be a more common in some places and companies. As a white male, I realize I'm shielded from a lot of that.

I'm not sure I have an issue with giving preference to friends or former colleagues, since "chemistry" is a legitimate factor to consider for some positions, but at the same time that would seem to permit all sorts of other subjective practices which are more problematic.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:16 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Strawman. He presented facts and the fact is blacks across all education levels make less money.
Given the data presented, that sweeping conclusion (which is probably true, sadly) is a little overreaching.

What I've seen in this thread addresses a general starting income disparity without regard for things like job location, type of degree, etc. That isn't a lot of hard data to work with. What am I missing?

Old 10-23-2012, 05:06 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Again, you can't discuss facts and form a reasonable argument, so you resort to this simple minded drivel.

So back to the original post, Morehouse is in financial trouble because they can't convince enough people to matriculate there. Apparently people no longer view the institution as worth the $35,000 per year to leach on to the Morehouse Man mystique. That mystique used to mean something, but has been watered down by years of students who don't live up to the standard set years ago.
Giving you a taste of your own medicine.lol

Old 10-23-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Giving you a taste of your own medicine.lol
I explained how that data is flawed.

If your defense against my data is that you don't think minorities can compete and earn equal pay in 2012, then I think we are at an impasse. I believe it is possible and is proven by many capable people on a daily basis. You can hang onto your antiquated beliefs as a crutch as long as you want, but I'm not buying it.

Also, for your help: Guide to punctuation for children LINK

Old 10-23-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I explained how that data is flawed.

If your defense against my data is that you don't think minorities can compete and earn equal pay in 2012, then I think we are at an impasse. I believe it is possible and is proven by many capable people on a daily basis. You can hang onto your antiquated beliefs as a crutch as long as you want, but I'm not buying it.

Also, for your help: Guide to punctuation for children LINK
You say crutch,I say fact.Fact is you don't answer facts people provide.You go from subject to subject when you cant win one argument.No,Not an impasse,but more like you have a superiority complex.You block out all reasoning.
EWHEEEE!!You mad?I guess this child was able to affect your behavior.What does that say about you when you make up words that no one said?As far as equal pay for equal work for minorities and women,its better but its not equal across the board.I guess in your mind,women cannot compete either?

Old 10-23-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
You say crutch,I say fact.Fact is you don't answer facts people provide.You go from subject to subject when you cant win one argument.No,Not an impasse,but more like you have a superiority complex.You block out all reasoning.
EWHEEEE!!You mad?I guess this child was able to affect your behavior.What does that say about you when you make up words that no one said?As far as equal pay for equal work for minorities and women,its better but its not equal across the board.I guess in your mind,women cannot compete either?
I see you didn't click the link and educate yourself. Please take the time to do so.

Mad? Of course not, son. I've made my point with facts and logic. You can keep your race baiting and excuse making. That sort of thinking is like a disease and sadly sound logic doesn't cure your weak minded thinking.

Back to the point of the OP, Morehouse is in decline and needs to quickly do something to repair it's rapidly deteriorating reputation. If you want to discuss how they can do this, feel free. I have some ideas on how they can become great again, but continuing on their current downward spiral is not a recipe for success.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I see you didn't click the link and educate yourself. Please take the time to do so.

Mad? Of course not, son. I've made my point with facts and logic. You can keep your race baiting and excuse making. That sort of thinking is like a disease and sadly sound logic doesn't cure your weak minded thinking.

Back to the point of the OP, Morehouse is in decline and needs to quickly do something to repair it's rapidly deteriorating reputation. If you want to discuss how they can do this, feel free. I have some ideas on how they can become great again, but continuing on their current downward spiral is not a recipe for success.
Race baiting?

YOU of ALL people!!!
race baiting:
The act of using racially derisive language, actions, or other forms of communication in order to anger or intimidate or coerce a person or group of people.

If I took a poll of those on this thread who that word is mostly is tied to,im sure you definitely would win with ease.

My sentence structure may not be great but I understand words meaning.Something that obviously you should brush up on.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Race baiting?

YOU of ALL people!!!
race baiting:
The act of using racially derisive language, actions, or other forms of communication in order to anger or intimidate or coerce a person or group of people.

If I took a poll of those on this thread who that word is mostly is tied to,im sure you definitely would win with ease.

My sentence structure may not be great but I understand words meaning.Something that obviously you should brush up on.
Racially derisive language? Intimidating language? I've done no such thing.

I think the assumptions people have made as a result of my critical comments of a HBCU reflect more on the posters making assumptions than they do of me. I have been very complimentary of Spelman. You conveniently ignore that because it is obvious that you want to cling to the assumptions you've already made and are unable to see facts.

I keep trying to steer this conversation back on track, but you don't want to discuss this issues. Why not, son?

Old 10-23-2012, 08:38 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,886,200 times
Quote:
Education level doesn't account for everything. Is a degree from Savannah State equal to a degree from Stanford? Nope, but they both fall into the same bachelors degree bucket. A better way of evaluating this, rather than trying to lump dissimilar things into a huge bucket and trying to make a judgement off of the results, would be to examine not only degree level, but also raw IQ level. Do you think a huge income disparity exists along racial boundaries among MIT graduates? I haven't seen a study the looks at graduates from similar colleges and similar raw intelligence levels. Show me that study and we'll talk about this again. Until then, I will continue to disregard those stats because I don't believe they show the full story.

They don't show the whole story? How do your stats do any better by lumping all races together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta