U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-26-2013, 12:24 PM
 
2,078 posts, read 1,793,427 times
Reputation: 1347

Advertisements

Neither Hope-Hill nor Centenial elementary schools are comperable to a quality suburban schools. Centenial is so-so at best (and the parent reviews in Greatschools are not encouraging), and Hope-Hill is well-below-average when compared to other Atlanta schoos.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
They move in and continue the work to improve the school because they know there is no bigger impact on home value than schools.

There are homes with that price in Old Fourth Ward, Home Park, Knight Park, Sweet Auburn, Castleberry Hill, Lindrige-Martin Manor, Woodland Hills, Capital Gateway, Centennial Park, Atlantic Station.
http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/cms/lib.../108/Grady.pdf

 
Old 04-26-2013, 12:36 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,897,748 times
Reputation: 4076
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
"McManshion" vs. Grady cluster is a false choice. Not everyone wants to (or can) throw almost their entire paycheck towards the cost of their home ("McManshion", Grady cluster, or otherwise).
People can and do buy nice non-"McManshion" family homes in the 'burbs with a 2K mortgage. What sort of family homes can you buy with a 2K mortgage in the 3 very good elementary school zones in the Grady Cluster?

Edit: and no, the quality of the schools in the Jackson Cluster does not approach that of most quality suburban schools. I know that some of the elementary schools have improved, but it is really not comperable at this point.
So what is your point? The best school districts always have the most expensive real estate - that's the way it is. I'm sure it's that way in Cobb County and anywhere else in Atlanta/the U.S.

I'm not sure why there are a couple of people feeling sorry for the poor Coca Cola employees that have to change worksites. It's not that big a deal and they will handle it however they see fit, whether it is by commuting to downtown, moving closer in, or finding work elsewhere. It happens all the time.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 04-26-2013 at 01:03 PM..
 
Old 04-26-2013, 12:56 PM
 
29,271 posts, read 26,204,162 times
Reputation: 10219
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
So what is your point? The best school districts are always have the most expensive real estate - that's the way it is. I'm sure it's that way in Cobb County and anywhere else in Atlanta/the U.S.

I'm not sure why there are a couple of people feeling sorry for the poor Coca Cola employees that have to change worksites. It's not that big a deal and they will handle it however they see fit, whether it is by commuting to downtown, moving closer in, or finding work elsewhere. It happens all the time.
Well, that's right. People can't always have everything they want at their preferred price.

As we have discussed many times before, there are several close in neighborhoods with reasonably priced homes and schools that are definitely coming on strong. All it takes is for parents to commit to the schools and voila, the turnaround is underway in relatively short order. Mary Lin is the classic example.

All the kids and parents I've talked to say the experience is a good one.
 
Old 04-26-2013, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
23,287 posts, read 17,466,055 times
Reputation: 5385
Quote:
All the kids and parents I've talked to say the experience is a good one.
It shows the kids how hardwork pays off.
 
Old 04-26-2013, 01:10 PM
 
2,078 posts, read 1,793,427 times
Reputation: 1347
I may be imagining things, but folks on this thread seem to be discussing the “advantages” and “disadvantages” of Coke moving one of its offices to the city, in terms of its effect on the city and Coke employees. The fact that living near quality schools in the city is much more expensive than in the suburbs (where the office is currently located) might be considered a “disadvantage.”

No, this is not a pity-party.
Some people discuss such things because they have to make similar decision, or they just think it is interesting to discuss, or some other reason . No, it’s not the most important thing in the world. Yes, the Coke employees will survive. If you want to discuss something more worthy of your time, I am sure you can find a philosophy forum somewhere, or talk politics, or sports, or whatever.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
So what is your point? The best school districts are always have the most expensive real estate - that's the way it is. I'm sure it's that way in Cobb County and anywhere else in Atlanta/the U.S.

I'm not sure why there are a couple of people feeling sorry for the poor Coca Cola employees that have to change worksites. It's not that big a deal and they will handle it however they see fit, whether it is by commuting to downtown, moving closer in, or finding work elsewhere. It happens all the time.

Last edited by jeoff; 04-26-2013 at 01:19 PM..
 
Old 04-26-2013, 01:22 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,897,748 times
Reputation: 4076
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
I may be imagining things, but folks on this thread seem to be discussing the “advantages” and “disadvantages” of Coke moving one of its offices to the city, in terms of its effect on the city and Coke employees. The fact that living near quality schools in the city is much more than those expensive than in the suburbs (where the office is currently located) might be considered a “disadvantage.”

No, this is not a pity-party.
Some people discuss such things because they have to make similar decision, or they just think it is interesting to discuss, or some other reason . No, it’s not the most important thing in the world. Yes, the Coke employees will survive. If you want to discuss something more worthy of your time, I am sure you can find a philosophy forum somewhere, or talk politics, or sports, or whatever.
This discussion is not specifically about the perceived "disadvantage" of intown living, but you are making it so. The article is about how the Coca Cola move is a positive for downtown and makes no mention of the hardship on employees that you are promoting.

Thanks for the advice, but I choose to read the Atlanta forum because it interests me. If you want discuss the disadvantages of living in the city of Atlanta you could start a new thread...

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 04-26-2013 at 01:34 PM..
 
Old 04-26-2013, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
23,287 posts, read 17,466,055 times
Reputation: 5385
The Coke employees have 2 decision:
Keep their job and somehow deal with the move to Downtown or find a new job.
Easy as that.
 
Old 04-26-2013, 01:37 PM
 
2,078 posts, read 1,793,427 times
Reputation: 1347
I think that most links to articles are considered a starting point for a discussion. That is why there is a place for comments. I do not think that the move is a bad thing, but it is a change, and I believe that the effects of that change (both good and bad) are worth discussing. Maybe you should request that the comments section be removed, and be replaced with a button for the "smiley-face" emoticon.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
This discussion is not specifically about the perceived "disadvantage" of a move downtown for Coca Cola employees, but you are making it so. The article is about how the move is a positive for downtown and makes no mention of the hardship on employees that you are promoting.

Thanks for the advice, but I choose to read the Atlanta forum because it interests me. If you want discuss the disadvantages of living in the city of Atlanta you could start a new thread...
 
Old 04-26-2013, 01:44 PM
 
6,611 posts, read 6,897,748 times
Reputation: 4076
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
I think that most links to articles are considered a starting point for a discussion. That is why there is a place for comments. I do not think that the move is a bad thing, but it is a change, and I believe that the effects of that change (both good and bad) are worth discussing. Maybe you should request that the comments section be removed, and be replaced with a button for the "smiley-face" emoticon.
No, I request that these discussions don't turn to this kind of argument (i.e. city vs suburbs)...and a discussion about the disadvantages of intown living is not on-topic.
 
Old 04-26-2013, 01:47 PM
 
687 posts, read 539,697 times
Reputation: 528
Reading this you would think they are relocating everyone to Nebraska or New Delhi!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top