Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 04:42 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,805,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
What is Atlanta's culture locally or mainstream? keep in mind the answer isnt based on facts, but opinions and opinions only.

I could say Atlanta has a lot of ghetto people

Atl booster comes along and say "You are wrong get new friends"

Atl booster says people who dont like Atlanta are people who moved here and failed in life

Non booster asks what is the definition of a failed life? hell what is the definition of successful life, it all depends on who you ask.

ATL culture can be different depending on who you ask, the only thing you can really take into play is the numbers game and majority of opinions. Just because there is a majority opinion doesnt mean that opinion is fact and visa versa.

Everyone doesnt like everything, this included things Atlanta is known for.
Yes Atlanta does have a lot of ghetto people.But they are in no means the majority.In fact unless you live near the ghetto,you don't encounter those types often.

Have you ever been to Philly or Chicago?Talk about ghetto!You can't get away from those types.They are in many cities on the East Coast.
The difference is that so many black people live in Atlanta and unfortunately people see black as ghetto.Even though there is a long history of middle class and upper middle class blacks that were educated and leaders to this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Dude thats not what Im saying. Im no Atlanta hater buy a long shot, but some of YOU PEOPLE go over board with the defense instead of listening to where people are actually coming from. Yall dont listen so why should the complainers listen you guys?
How did I go over board?I get what you are saying now.Sorry.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:59 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes Atlanta does have a lot of ghetto people.But they are in no means the majority.In fact unless you live near the ghetto,you don't encounter those types often.

Have you ever been to Philly or Chicago?Talk about ghetto!You can't get away from those types.They are in many cities on the East Coast.
The difference is that so many black people live in Atlanta and unfortunately people see black as ghetto.Even though there is a long history of middle class and upper middle class blacks that were educated and leaders to this day.

LOL........really? I think YOU think people see black as Ghetto. Granted some people do.

That's a very flawed opinion.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
LOL........really? I think YOU think people see black as Ghetto. Granted some people do.

That's a very flawed opinion.
I think some people do.Not saying its true but as long as you have prejudiced people,there are opinions like being ghetto as reasons why some think that way.
Why do you think people make so many references about Atlanta is like Detroit?Its sad and infuriating but you have that ignorant element out there.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:41 PM

719 posts, read 1,333,516 times
Atlanta is no different than any other city. Most big cities have all kinds of people but one crowd usually sticks out the most for the success or wealth of a certain group. Atlanta is usually equated for successful AA. A lot of people have a problem swallowing that pill. You can find it on City Data. Just read a lot of the threads and posts. People dislike that...

Old 08-10-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I think some people do.Not saying its true but as long as you have prejudiced people,there are opinions like being ghetto as reasons why some think that way.
Why do you think people make so many references about Atlanta is like Detroit?Its sad and infuriating but you have that ignorant element out there.

I agree with that. Even if some people are looking in the face of facts, there is no changing their minds.

Being a native of "The D", they're both vastly different. I think they are compared for one reason only, they both have large populations of blacks. Blacks unlike any other race are always put under the microscope. I guess they are the only race that is imperfect.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
Atlanta is no different than any other city. Most big cities have all kinds of people but one crowd usually sticks out the most for the success or wealth of a certain group. Atlanta is usually equated for successful AA. A lot of people have a problem swallowing that pill. You can find it on City Data. Just read a lot of the threads and posts. People dislike that...

This, I agree with 100%. Yeah, believe it or not, all blacks are not poor and crackheads. Go figure.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I agree with that. Even if some people are looking in the face of facts, there is no changing their minds.

Being a native of "The D", they're both vastly different. I think they are compared for one reason only, they both have large populations of blacks. Blacks unlike any other race are always put under the microscope. I guess they are the only race that is imperfect.
I should add that I am a fan of Detroit and i hope for a successful turn around.However it does have that connotation of being a big ghetto.Yet even in Detroit there are so many examples of a long history of black wealth and entrepreneurs that often get overshadowed by the more scelestious inhabitant population.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
You get the prize!!A lot of people cant swallow that pill!!You are so right!Even among some African Americans this is true.Can u say HATERS?!

Old 08-10-2013, 05:11 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,859,374 times
I dig everything that you all are saying. However, the original post was about "Reality TV complex" and how it relates to Atlanta.

Despite the number of "successful" Black folk in Atlanta, this is what is projected to the world. Not by other folk in black face. This is us:

Some of the women on the show are physicians, surgeons, in fact! The non-physicians are also "educated." Our "best" and "brightest" behaving this way! It certainly helps to reinforce prejudices and preconceived notions.

I don't know how well these shows do in the ratings. However, I can assume that we are not the only people watching them.

I'm going to call the industry "Hollywood." Let's not get into physical locations. They do nothing by accident. We as residents of this country are fooled into believing that t.v. shows and movies are nothing more than entertainment. We couldn't be more wrong! We are being propagandized at every turn.

I have zero proof that these shows are aired in other countries. However, I would bet on it.

Some of you have mentioned other cities. This is not about city perceptions. You can toss Chicago and Detroit under a bus if it assuages your ego. This is about the perception of people. It's more acceptable to say that a place is this, that, or the third, than to say that people are this way or that way. Example, Mississippi (MS) is racist. MS can't be racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta