Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2016, 07:46 PM

164 posts, read 170,306 times

Advertisements

Won't all the lightrail vehicles just get caught in downtown traffic like the streetcar now? I know they will be grade separated elsewhere, but if the vision is to integrate the streetcar into the system won't there be a huge bottleneck downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 08:20 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicTao View Post
Won't all the lightrail vehicles just get caught in downtown traffic like the streetcar now? I know they will be grade separated elsewhere, but if the vision is to integrate the streetcar into the system won't there be a huge bottleneck downtown?
That is certainly a concern. Hopefully, they will be able to do the next phase "right" by using dedicated lanes and signal-priority so the vehicles aren't competing with cars on the on-street portions.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:26 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Do you guys think the Beltline line would get used a lot? Like packed trains in the evenings? Part of the allure of the Beltline is that it's a nice little walk through interesting neighborhoods that encircle the city.

Don't get me wrong. I can't wait for transit on the Beltline...I'm just curious if you guys think it will get used often.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:06 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Do you guys think the Beltline line would get used a lot? Like packed trains in the evenings? Part of the allure of the Beltline is that it's a nice little walk through interesting neighborhoods that encircle the city.

Don't get me wrong. I can't wait for transit on the Beltline...I'm just curious if you guys think it will get used often.
The vehicles are air-conditioned, so, yes. People will be clawing at the doors to get in, half the year. Maybe not on a really nice day like today. But still there will plenty of people who just want to get there faster, to wherever they're going. Or who are disabled or out of shape and can't really walk or bike anyway.

Plus, as opposed to the current streetcar footprint, the Beltline will actually be legitimate useful transit. People live in Virginia Highland, Old Fourth Ward, Morningside, etc. And on the west side as well. A lot of people will be catching the transit in order to take them to the MARTA train, because they're going to Buckhead or Decatur or the airport or something. Or work at State Farm in Dunwoody. Etc.

Which is again why I think there needs to be a Krog St infill station. But I digress.

Also I hope the light rail ends up going all the way to Lindbergh Station. Or to a Red/Gold infill at Armour.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:21 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
Quote:

Yes it will be.

Think about all the new housing that is on the Beltline now. Imagine the new developments once they announce which portion of the Beltline that will be funded once it is approved in Nov. Most of the people that live on the Beltline and the people that will move to the Beltline will want to use transit as often as possible since it will be within walking distance from them.

On the Eastside of the Beltline people will use the Beltine rail to get to PCM, KSM, Piedmont Park,etc. The North Ave line will be busy with GA Tech students, people that live in Midtown and people that are trying to get to North Ave MARTA station. The Westside portion will be even busier since that area needs more rail to connect people to the Bankhead line.

Remember for the most part most of the areas on the Beltline are not near a MARTA station so generally the people on the Beltline have to drive if they want to go somewhere. Once the Beltline rail is operating a block or two from their residence they will use it to get to work if their job is on MARTA, to get to the airport, etc. Plus they will use it for other short trips because they probably will have a monthly pass to use MARTA.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:36 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
The mayor of Roswell and Alpharetta need to be put on blast for blocking their rail vote

Old 03-29-2016, 10:17 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:

I think that people will be able to nitpick the earliest stats as far as ridership, they may not be stellar right off the bat. But there is no doubt that the future of the city will grow around the Beltline. As this happens, people will rely on it and ridership will increase. This development is coming regardless. The Beltline and transit on it will help direct this inevitable development in a way that will make life in Atlanta great.

This pays off in the future, not a couple years after trains are rolling down the rails.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:21 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:

Not in the short run. The only place with density is around Inman Park/O4W. The east side HRT stations have the lightest use.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:11 PM

770 posts, read 603,776 times
Quote:

Yes, but it will take some time, as development continues to spur around the Beltline and off of it. If they start throwing down tracks, development will pick up exponentially and places people want to go will be doting the entire Beltline. It still needs good connections to MARTA though, I think, thus people wouldn't necessarily need a car to visit those places.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:15 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
can you post this to reddit.com/r/atlanta? it's beautiful, and you deserve much karma. lol
I will once I have the other versions finished, since they're closer to the actual 'plan'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta