Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 02:49 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,066,118 times

Advertisements

When you are referring to a Jewish person in a stereotypical way, insinuating things like money-grubbing, controlling businesses, media, etc., referring to them as Jews is derogatory.

It is acceptable in a historic sense (i.e. The Nazis killed 6 million Jews), but not in the judgmental way (That Jew runs the media business).

It's just like black. It's fine when referring to people in a non-judgmenal way (Atlanta has a population of roughly 1.5 million blacks) but no in the judgmental way (That black raped my sister)

I'm not the keeper of Jewish, black, or any other racial stereotype....I'm just using a little bit of common sense. And I find it remarkable that this has to be explained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 02:50 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
If you are over 35 your arse shouldn't be listening to anything but 87.7, 102.9, 97.9, 89.3, 104.1, 107.5 and 91.9. If you are over 35 living in Atlanta and still listening to 107.9 and 94.5 you lost. (Not including side piece shout-out and stripper check-in on 107.9) lol
People still listen to the radio?

Speaking as someone who is ... let's say largely unfamiliar ... with this genre of music. Where could I learn about this music and its history, and get some good examples?

I go to a club periodically, and I *love* what is being played, but have no clue about artist, song titles, or even basic genre.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:01 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,755,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
People still listen to the radio?

Speaking as someone who is ... let's say largely unfamiliar ... with this genre of music. Where could I learn about this music and its history, and get some good examples?

I go to a club periodically, and I *love* what is being played, but have no clue about artist, song titles, or even basic genre.

102.9 - Classic Hip hop
97.9 - Classic Hip Hop
87.7 - Classic 70s 80s 90s R&B
107.5 - 90s R&B
91.9 - Jazz
89.3 - Community Radio
104.1 - 70s 80s R&B

Depending on what you like listen to these stations. Some of these stations should let you know who the artist is after the song is played. If not there is a phone app and/or website you can go to and it will tell you what is currently being played on the radio. I dont know the name of it. If you want a good foundation on R&B start off with 87.7.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:20 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,749,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
102.9 - Classic Hip hop
97.9 - Classic Hip Hop
87.7 - Classic 70s 80s 90s R&B
107.5 - 90s R&B
91.9 - Jazz
89.3 - Community Radio
104.1 - 70s 80s R&B

Depending on what you like listen to these stations. Some of these stations should let you know who the artist is after the song is played. If not there is a phone app and/or website you can go to and it will tell you what is currently being played on the radio. I dont know the name of it. If you want a good foundation on R&B start off with 87.7.
It's called Tune-In Radio, which is also on PC too if anyone's interested.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:22 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,509 posts, read 15,115,918 times
T.I is the creator of Trap Music. ''Trap Muzik'' was released in 2003.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:24 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,749,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
T.I is the creator of Trap Music. ''Trap Muzik'' was released in 2003.
TI's music sound a lot different than Future or Young Thug though.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:46 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,108,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
You cant compare Luda to Lil Jon, Crunk, or Trap. I wouldn't consider Luda a "crunk" artist from back in the day, nor would would I compare him to the "Trap" music of day.

While Luda has party music, he also has songs that have topics besides partying and he can actually flow with punch lines. He has some some nice freestyles. He's definitely not a Lil Jon (producer who just chants) or like today trap music. I'm not saying he's among the best but he's a decent artist as far as flow and song topics.

Nice little flow
TI also can flow, can be very lyrical

Trap and Crunk is not the opposite or being lyrical a few of them are very. In fact you can argue some of Outkast and Goodie later stuff fits under crunk.

B.O.B, Rosa Parks, Get Rich to this and etc.

Rick Ross, TI, Luda, Wayne, and etc got bars

It generalizing to put all Trap and Crunk in the box some was lyrical most wasn't but that wasn't the point of hip hop, by the mid 2000's pretty most NY rappers started to fade out whom not name is 50 cent, the South really to started to take over. And NYers started to power hate the South.

- They created this huge revision like early rappers were lyrical in NY during the 70's and 80's.
- Hip hop in the 90's in the south Atlanta, Houston, Memphis, Miami, New Orleans did happen
- And all of hip hop suppose to sound like some 90's NY keith murray or Black moon.

In the West G Funk came
The South, Bass music, Crunk and Bounce Music came.

The problem is because Hip hop started in NY, NYers attach early Hip hop of the 70's and 80's with their 90's style as if that not a evolve sub genre. there's no term for 90's NY Hip Hop or than hip hop even tho Nas have just as much in common with Kurtis Blow as Uncle Luke has with Kurtis Blow.

----------

But as I said I like Trap music I just wish their was more diversity with rappers.

I don't understand why most southern rappers all raping about selling drugs now. they are rapping about selling drugs a higher rate the early 2000's their way less diversity about topics. I bring this up because besides a few songs like Trap Queen. Rapping about Drugs hardly Chart now.

If look at top artists Drake, J Cole, Kendrick Lamar, and etc there clear pattern. If Atlanta is ever to get top rappers again Atlanta need more relatable or creative rappers.

Early Trap rappers like TI, Jeezy could rap about more than selling drugs and some of there songs were deep, Luda never did, nor did Outkast.

I believe most Atlanta now take after Gucci mane, who's not lyrical, mumble and just made ratchet hood anthem. Future is an evolve form of Gucci mane, he has a deep ear for melody some of is cool, why is half Atlanta rappers now trying to sing off key biting Future. I think Atlanta has ok rappers but Atlanta needs a Drake, J Cole, Kendrick Lamar who can rap about different topics. and rap on different types of beats.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:28 PM

114 posts, read 134,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
TI also can flow, can be very lyrical

Trap and Crunk is not the opposite or being lyrical a few of them are very. In fact you can argue some of Outkast and Goodie later stuff fits under crunk.

B.O.B, Rosa Parks, Get Rich to this and etc.

Rick Ross, TI, Luda, Wayne, and etc got bars

It generalizing to put all Trap and Crunk in the box some was lyrical most wasn't but that wasn't the point of hip hop, by the mid 2000's pretty most NY rappers started to fade out whom not name is 50 cent, the South really to started to take over. And NYers started to power hate the South.

- They created this huge revision like early rappers were lyrical in NY during the 70's and 80's.
- Hip hop in the 90's in the south Atlanta, Houston, Memphis, Miami, New Orleans did happen
- And all of hip hop suppose to sound like some 90's NY keith murray or Black moon.

In the West G Funk came
The South, Bass music, Crunk and Bounce Music came.

The problem is because Hip hop started in NY, NYers attach early Hip hop of the 70's and 80's with their 90's style as if that not a evolve sub genre. there's no term for 90's NY Hip Hop or than hip hop even tho Nas have just as much in common with Kurtis Blow as Uncle Luke has with Kurtis Blow.

----------

But as I said I like Trap music I just wish their was more diversity with rappers.

I don't understand why most southern rappers all raping about selling drugs now. they are rapping about selling drugs a higher rate the early 2000's their way less diversity about topics. I bring this up because besides a few songs like Trap Queen. Rapping about Drugs hardly Chart now.

If look at top artists Drake, J Cole, Kendrick Lamar, and etc there clear pattern. If Atlanta is ever to get top rappers again Atlanta need more relatable or creative rappers.

Early Trap rappers like TI, Jeezy could rap about more than selling drugs and some of there songs were deep, Luda never did, nor did Outkast.

I believe most Atlanta now take after Gucci mane, who's not lyrical, mumble and just made ratchet hood anthem. Future is an evolve form of Gucci mane, he has a deep ear for melody some of is cool, why is half Atlanta rappers now trying to sing off key biting Future. I think Atlanta has ok rappers but Atlanta needs a Drake, J Cole, Kendrick Lamar who can rap about different topics. and rap on different types of beats.

We definitely need a revival. Not that Atlanta isn't successful, industry-wise, because we are still got it. But in terms of actual HIP-HOP....with lyricism and creativity, we really did go downhill. Not much individuality....rather... more rappers that just want to make $$$ and will rap whatever style is trending and popular. And unlike Drake, J Cole, Kendrick, a lot our rappers don't have so much intellect or deep poetry in their lyrics.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:32 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
When you are referring to a Jewish person in a stereotypical way, insinuating things like money-grubbing, controlling businesses, media, etc., referring to them as Jews is derogatory.

It is acceptable in a historic sense (i.e. The Nazis killed 6 million Jews), but not in the judgmental way (That Jew runs the media business).

It's just like black. It's fine when referring to people in a non-judgmenal way (Atlanta has a population of roughly 1.5 million blacks) but no in the judgmental way (That black raped my sister)

I'm not the keeper of Jewish, black, or any other racial stereotype....I'm just using a little bit of common sense. And I find it remarkable that this has to be explained.
Totally agree, ATLTJL.

One would think this would be self-evident.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:40 PM

408 posts, read 581,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Trap music, especially the trap music since around 2009 or so is only good for the car and clubs. The beats slap but that's it. If you wanted lyricism, do not turn on that. It's this generation form of club music which has been here all along. It was just different in the 90s where you had bass, booty shaking, or bounce if you in New Orleans. But you also had far more versatility and balance during that era. You don't see that nowadays. All of the music is the same.

I really do miss the different sounds of the South of the late 90s and early 2000s. Each city had something different. Some lyrical, some not. Now.....it's all the same.
And gym sessions most definitely, but I can agree here with what you said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta