Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 11:58 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,317,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
That's just nonsensical. The magnets part I mean.
I don't know what technology would be used (I already said that...you must have missed it), but if we can make shopping carts lock up the second they leave the parking lot we can figure out how to keep motorized vehicles from operating on sidewalks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 12:05 PM

1,180 posts, read 988,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I don't know what technology would be used (I already said that...you must have missed it), but if we can make shopping carts lock up the second they leave the parking lot we can figure out how to keep motorized vehicles from operating on sidewalks.
Locking the wheels prevents movement. Exactly how would that stop scooters from riding on sidewalks? You would want the wheels to lock as soon as someone steers on to a sidewalk? What if it's because of safety to avoid hitting something or someone in the street? I'm not sure mechanical deterrence or physical impediment is the way to go.

Enforcement of the law with stiff fines.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:21 PM
JPD

Quote:
Locking the wheels prevents movement. Exactly how would that stop scooters from riding on sidewalks? You would want the wheels to lock as soon as someone steers on to a sidewalk? What if it's because of safety to avoid hitting something or someone in the street? I'm not sure mechanical deterrence or physical impediment is the way to go.

Enforcement of the law with stiff fines.
To address your safety issue: gentle but firm braking upon entering the sidewalk bringing the vehicle to a safe stop. Wheels unlocked upon reentering the appropriate travel lane.

Are you sure you're a scientist?

Old 07-03-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
To address your safety issue: gentle but firm braking upon entering the sidewalk bringing the vehicle to a safe stop. Wheels unlocked upon reentering the appropriate travel lane.

Are you sure you're a scientist?

Whatever I do for a living won't make your suggestion any more practical.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:32 PM
JPD

Quote:
Whatever I do for a living won't make your suggestion any more practical.
Jumping out of the way of oncoming motor vehicles on the sidewalk is not practical either, yet here we are.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:54 PM

7,363 posts, read 6,545,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycus25 View Post
ATL Councilmembers are looking at possible regulations because of the litter problem:

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2018/7/3/...ta-regulations
The idea of a limit of vehicles per block is patently absurd. What happens if there are more than 10? Do the police swoop in and threaten to haul you away for parking your scooter there? Stupid idea and nothing more than an admission that it's an attempt to force "diversity."

Old 07-03-2018, 08:34 PM

45 posts, read 35,045 times
They gonna be really popular once GSU and Ga Tech are back in session

Old 07-09-2018, 06:38 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,908,213 times
Quote:
That's just nonsensical. The magnets part I mean.

Enforcement and building more separate lanes is the only way to get them off of sidewalks. I understand why people do it. It's about safety. Increasing theirs decreases that of pedestrians.

I brought up bikes because they are just as notorious for riding on sidewalks even when separated lanes are available. Bicyclists run lights and stop signs. I will not advocate that bicycles be banned. This technology will do more good than harm. I think our terrible sidewalks are a greater hindrance to our physically disable citizens than scooter filled sidewalks.

I think the proposed ordinance is a good start. I wonder how difficult it would to create virtual docks or parking spaces for the scooters. . It wouldn't be a cure all but could maybe cut down on having them left in the middle of sidewalks.
Let's not pretend that cars don't run lights and stop signs as well, except they are far more lethal than bicycles.
It's all about human behavior, no amount of rules and regulations are going to influence that.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Let's not pretend that cars don't run lights and stop signs as well, except they are far more lethal than bicycles.
It's all about human behavior, no amount of rules and regulations are going to influence that.
Think about seat belt use and DUI enforcement/awareness. Have those not changed human behavior? If you ticket people enough, I'm certain behavior can be changed.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:28 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,727,919 times
Quote:
Think about seat belt use and DUI enforcement/awareness. Have those not changed human behavior? If you ticket people enough, I'm certain behavior can be changed.
Exactly. Regulations are effective, but only when they are enforced. As many of us have noted time and time again here, the Atlanta area seems pretty notorious for a huge lack of any kind of traffic enforcement, and that goes for all modes of transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta