Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2018, 07:05 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
If and when DeKalb Co passes their own MoreMARTA sales tax increase then that's a possibility, but because of it's redundancy and proximity to Gold Line I can see it having difficulty qualifying for FTA grants. Also, dedicated BRT lanes would allow in the emergency that I-85 is shut down GDOT could open the BRT lanes to general traffic. IMO that corridor is better suited for BRT, the stigma of bus doesn't exist.
You make good points, but we're talking about an area that is going to see increased density and major demographic shifts in the years to come; of that I have no doubt.
Furthermore, the 'redundancy' of the Gold Line hasn't impacted ridership on the 39 one iota; it continues to increase. Who on Buford Highway is going to opt for walking to Brookhaven or Chamblee stations? The FTA should be able to see this.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:36 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
It would be nice to see a line between Emory's main campus and its new campus at NDH and 85.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:40 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It would be nice to see a line between Emory's main campus and its new campus at NDH and 85.
No kidding. As it stands their only real connection is two-lane Briarcliff Road. Pathetic.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:17 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
No kidding. As it stands their only real connection is two-lane Briarcliff Road. Pathetic.
It probably drives the folks with transit planning degrees crazy, but I don't have a problem with hooking up short, heavily traveled corridors like that, and then filling in as demand grows.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:31 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkim2911 View Post
So can anyone give good ballpark numbers on exactly how much Clifton rail vs. the entire beltline will cost?
Don't know about the beltline, but the last estimate I saw was 1.9 billion for the entire Clifton corridor. The city of Atlanta stretch is about half of the mileage. Not sure how much of the cost.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:16 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
More MARTA website updated with new information

Including Summary of Technical Analysis
http://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedFile...ary_052918.pdf
Quote:
Project Programming Assumptions
The original project list contained estimated project budgets (both capital and operations and
maintenance, or O&M), which were based on a cost-per-mile approach. The programming assumptions
also included estimates related to local and federal dollars. Both the project budgets and funding
assumptions utilized existing conditions, programs, and projects from peer transit systems and staff
input. The following provides an overview:
Funding
  • ART projects are funded locally.
  • Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) projects under $150M are funded locally.
  • BRT projects above $150M are split 50% local, 50% federal.
  • Light Rail Transit (LRT) projects are split 50% local, 50% federal, except for the Atlanta Streetcar
    East Extension project, which is funded locally.
  • Heavy Rail Transit (HRT) projects are split 50% local, 50% federal.
  • All other projects are funded locally.
The general rule of thumb is that most capital projects (i.e. high dollar amount) are assumed to be
funded with 50% local money and 50% with federal money. Most smaller scale projects are assumed to
be funded with 100% local money.
It was assumed that the More MARTA projects would generate a 30% farebox recovery rate.
Capital Costs by mode
  • ART = $2.5M/mile
  • BRT = $25M/mile
  • Freeway BRT = $15M/mile
  • LRT on BeltLine = $55M/mile
  • LRT off of BeltLine = $75M/mile
  • LRT w/ tunnels = $200M/mile
  • HRT = $250M/mile
Operations and maintenance (O&M) costs are budgeted for twenty years. This is industry standard for
transit expansion programs and is a requirement for any individual project pursuing federal funding.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:19 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,275 times
Exciting times. Can't wait to see more heavy rail in South DeKalb though.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:25 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
Or anywhere really. They need to expand the heavy rail and add more stations ASAP

Old 05-31-2018, 10:41 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
DeKalb unfortunately thought it more important to invest in roads first, although I fear they will take the North Fulton route and cheap out to BRT-heavy network.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:22 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,695,326 times
The Campbelton Road corridor is set to receive over $420 Mil. in total transit funds between future ART, BRT, and LRT services. While I'm certain that the corridor does deserve that amount of spending, I can't help but compare it to other corridors that saw their proposed streetcar & light rail service postponed in favor of less expensive options.

Instead, what I would, like to see would be the shift of the money being set aside for the Campbelton Light Rail Line to an otherwise unserved project.

Specifically, I would suggest reallocating the light rail funds to the Southside BeltLine, bridging the gap between the S-Concept light rail sections from Murphy Ave to Irwin through the southeastern city. This would represent roughly 6 miles, or ~$330 Mil. by MARTA's own per-mile estimates. That leaves a $66.3 Mil. shortfall from the funding MARTA is planning for the Campbellton Line. I would be surprised if this gap could be closed if the project was paired directly with ABI's built-out of the Southside trail, allowing both MARTA and ABI to share land-working, infrastructure, and construction contracting costs. Further funding could come directly from ABI to help finish the route, since they are, as an organization, supposed to be funding transit as well as the trail and parks.

This would provide additional high-capacity service to the SE side of the city, allow riders to bypass the potentially slow inner-core of the city while trying to access the east side, allow cross-connectivity between the Northside and Capitol Bus Rapid Transit lines, and ensure that the BeltLine itself would be far more complete, all while still allowing high-capacity transit to be implemented in the Campbellton Rd corridor in the form of Bus Rapid Transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta