Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2018, 08:22 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times

Advertisements

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/05/...etcar-mistake/

"The Atlanta streetcar is not the kind of transit cities should try to replicate.

The $98 million streetcar line operates in mixed traffic on a short 1.3-mile route in downtown Atlanta. It is slow, unreliable, and carries fewer than 1,000 trips per day.

The streetcar should at least serve as a cautionary tale as Atlanta looks to expand its rail network. But it looks like decision makers are in jeopardy of repeating the mistakes of the streetcar....

That alignment sets off alarm bells for transit watchdogs who know that operating in mixed traffic is a recipe for failure. By using the streetcar route without getting cars out of the way, the new light rail network could be plagued by the same problems...."

Old 06-17-2018, 10:38 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/05/...etcar-mistake/

"The Atlanta streetcar is not the kind of transit cities should try to replicate.

The $98 million streetcar line operates in mixed traffic on a short 1.3-mile route in downtown Atlanta. It is slow, unreliable, and carries fewer than 1,000 trips per day.

The streetcar should at least serve as a cautionary tale as Atlanta looks to expand its rail network. But it looks like decision makers are in jeopardy of repeating the mistakes of the streetcar....

That alignment sets off alarm bells for transit watchdogs who know that operating in mixed traffic is a recipe for failure. By using the streetcar route without getting cars out of the way, the new light rail network could be plagued by the same problems...."
I mean i'll admit, i'm still yet to ride the streetcar mainly because for me it serves no purpose.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:12 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Yeah, operating in mixed traffic is stupid. They need to close the streetcar lanes to traffic. They need to expand it too.

But I have a good friend the moved to Sweet Auburn recently (and already was downtown a lot) so I have been using it a fair amount (multiple times a month) recently. It is very handy when it runs. But it doesn't help when they close it down for "police activity" like the Atlanta United game myself (and others waiting at the stop) were planning to take it to. Those sort of events are exactly when it is needed most.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:02 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
IMO I do not agree with Clifton Corridor or NW BeltLine (which City of Atlanta/ABI does not own and is an active railroad.)
Quote:
  • VISION. I’d align our transit investments with a vision for the future city that includes challenges beyond mere mobility. We can’t pretend that equity, economic opportunity, or housing affordability, are separate issues – they are interrelated and essential to our ability to manage growth and change. We should incorporate these outcomes into our transit vision and then hold every transit investment accountable.
  • EMORY. I’d set aside 20% of the budget planned for the Emory line and hold it until the region comes up with the rest. The Emory line easily meets federal transit planning expectations and should have no problem competing for money. Assuming the region finds that match, City residents will then be prepared to contribute our share. As for the remaining 80% previously budgeted to the Emory line, I’d reassign it to other projects that support the Emory connection but more directly benefit City residents and neighborhoods. I would use that money to fund light rail along the northside of the Atlanta Beltline – it would construct the physical connection to MARTA’s red and gold lines with an infill station at Armour, which can later be shared by the Emory line. And it would expand the reach of the future Emory line to a broad swath of northwest Atlanta and other destinations like Piedmont Hospital. (see graphic).
  • BRT. Instead of putting in a temporary BRT line along Campbellton Road, I would make this a permanent prototype project that would jumpstart a regional BRT network. This roadway connecting Oakland City to Greenbriar could be a state-of-the-art, national model by prioritizing street design and signalization for transit and by including all the features of real BRT – level boarding with multiple doors, off-board fare collection, etc. The money in the plan assigned to future light-rail conversion would go toward another corridor better suited for rail. I would put it on the southeast segment of the Atlanta Beltline, which makes an urgently needed connection between jobs and opportunities on the east and west sides of the loop. It would also help neighborhoods like Pittsburgh, Peoplestown, South Atlanta, and Chosewood Park manage the ongoing development of vast swaths of land – in the best scenario, with meaningful transit and growth management strategies for the people who already live there.
  • ATLANTA BELTLINE. I’d finish it up. I’m not saying that the entire loop of transit on the Atlanta Beltline should necessarily be paid for with the money from this referendum – there are a lot of other needs in the City. I am saying, however, that the Atlanta Beltline has earned its position at the top of the priority list for transit implementation, and if not this funding, then the City of Atlanta and MARTA should identify and commit to the funding and timing for full completion of the project. Ideally, this would happen before the City of Atlanta is completely gentrified – a goal that will be impossible to meet at the pace of implementation described in the current More MARTA plan. [history, threat]
https://ryangravel.com/2018/05/21/fa...re-marta-plan/

Old 06-18-2018, 08:09 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I mean i'll admit, i'm still yet to ride the streetcar mainly because for me it serves no purpose.
We've ridden it a few times, mostly as a novelty when our kid was a toddler. We'd ride the train, have some lunch somewhere along the line, then ride it back to the SkyWheel or whatever it's called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yeah, operating in mixed traffic is stupid. They need to close the streetcar lanes to traffic. They need to expand it too.
So, close Edgewood and Auburn to traffic? Good luck with that.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:12 AM

11,807 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Is everywhere in the DFW metroplex within 1 mile of a train station like Tokyo? Or is it like here where even if there was a commuter rail line to Cumberland, Marietta Square, Kennesaw; many residents in East Cobb would still be too far from it so they are still better off driving.

30 years ago we thought cars would be flying by now. But AV's will become more common soon, if people can trust them.
we're still a good 3 to 5 decades away from AV's being common on the road.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Yep. One lane on each street so each street will function as a one-lane one-way.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:18 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
We've ridden it a few times, mostly as a novelty when our kid was a toddler. We'd ride the train, have some lunch somewhere along the line, then ride it back to the SkyWheel or whatever it's called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yep. One lane on each street so each street will function as a one-lane one-way.
Portland MAX does this same thing in their Downtown. MARTA buses and Streetcar can us the same lane, while cars can use the other.
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5190...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old 06-18-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
we're still a good 3 to 5 decades away from AV's being common on the road.
Define "AVs being common". I'd say more 1 to 3 decades. And if your definition of common is a more liberal "passing at least one autonomous capable vehicle during your daily commute" then we are already there.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:50 AM

296 posts, read 220,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
IMO I do not agree with Clifton Corridor or NW BeltLine (which City of Atlanta/ABI does not own and is an active railroad.)

https://ryangravel.com/2018/05/21/fa...re-marta-plan/
I get where he's coming from, but the whole bit about the Clifton Corridor is just based on a mistake of reality. My understanding is that the amount designated for that project in the current More MARTA plans are based on MARTA already assuming federal matching funds. So this whole schtick of "hold a tiny portion of the money until the feds step in" is... well... BS. If CoA's contributions only amount to 20% of what is currently on the project list, the CoA will get 1/5 of the Clifton Corridor even with federal funds. At least that's the way I've interpreted things. Am I wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta