Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 08:00 AM

299 posts, read 162,486 times

Advertisements

I missed this post somehow! We did check out Spoke, love it a lot. But seems far from things, as in, not very walkable? I'm also not entirely sure about neighborhood safety. But I don't live here so you tell me. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdbass View Post
I would check this one out. Right next to Marta(easy ride into downtown), walk to little five points, shopping(Target, Kroger) center, and next to candler park in edgewood. Brand new and you can find 2 bedrooms for starting under $2K. Not right in Midtown but still very convenient to everything downtown, belt line and downtown decatur.

Luxury Apartments In Edgewood Candler Park Atlanta | Spoke ATL

Otherwise i would suggest O4W or Midtown as the other options. Lots of apartments in 04W and you will be right on the belt line next to Krog and Poncey markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 08:18 AM

Hmmm, so Station R, Spoke, Decatur, or perhaps Midtown again.

We only have another day here. And probably can't come back to search out more places. We will likely have to decide from Denver and apply online.

I'm still thinking about midtown. We want to spend $2k, and would like a pool, but need a gym or something very close by. Then there's parking...we have two vehicles, and a cat. I'll look at some of the areas you mentioned. We are ok in an older building or lower rise building, but may be battling bugs as you mentioned, so, maybe we should stick with highrises!

Ugh. This is so hard! I feel like we've scoured O4W now, and the surrounding. So perhaps today I should give midtown another try, and Decatur.

And point taken about legal jobs. Makes it all the more important to be somewhere near MARTA I'd think. In Denver, there are legal jobs all over - but I don't apply for northern jobs if I live south, you know? I stick to my area. So while I probably won't go for one outside of 285, I can see finding one in midtown or Buckhead or somewhere on the other side of downtown to where my spouse is.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:19 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,511,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyPet View Post
I missed this post somehow! We did check out Spoke, love it a lot. But seems far from things, as in, not very walkable? I'm also not entirely sure about neighborhood safety. But I don't live here so you tell me. Thanks!
That neighborhood (along with just about all of the neighborhoods under discussion that are north of I-20 and along the north Red/Gold and east Blue/Green MARTA heavy rail lines) are generally pretty safe by the standards of Intown Atlanta/ITP (Inside the I-285 Perimeter) metro Atlanta where crime rates have dropped dramatically since the period during the 1970's, '80's and early '90's when inner-city crime rates where through the roof in Atlanta and many other major U.S. cities.

But even though crime has fallen to historic lows in many previously higher-crime areas in Intown Atlanta and ITP metro Atlanta, the threat of crime will still be something that you will have to be vigilant about in an Atlanta metro area with a socioeconomic mix that will be different from the Denver area where you now reside.

Atlanta is still a very major city with unique socioeconomic demographic and population migration factors (including lots of people who migrate into the area from the Northeast, the Midwest, other parts of the South and other parts of the world on a constant basis), so just be aware that while crime is really low by historical Atlanta standards, crime will not be totally non-existent.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:22 PM

Hi! Appreciate hearing your insight on Atlanta crime.

Looks like we aren't moving after all. My spouse interviewed all morning and came back with a huge NO for taking the job. There were a ton of red flags and I guess the job wasn't exactly as they told him on the phone. So now, we are rethinking the whole thing. And I guess he doesn't love Atlanta as much as I do. I have to admit, the prices are about the same. Where we live, you can get a 1 bedroom for $1800 in a decent neighborhood. And it seems prices are about the same in Atlanta. But for us, we have very little crime. Or traffic compared to Atlanta. I'm also pretty disappointed in the lack of use of MARTA. We were placing a lot upon MARTA to be our transportation, but everyone I talk to here doesn't use it, says it's untimely and unreliable. So...back to the drafting table. We really had our hearts set on Raleigh, Charleston, Charlotte, Richmond - but when this job came around thought Atlanta would do us just fine. Thing is, the spouse doesn't love it and that's a big deal. I think we ignored a lot of our wants that were on the list and just kept trying to make it work. Anyway, we don't want to make a giant cross country move and find out we made the wrong choice. We really need to keep doing our due diligence.

Thanks everyone for all of your help - it really helped me learn a ton about Atlanta and I got to see a lot of great areas! I hope to come back someday soon.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:47 PM

27 posts, read 25,892 times
anybody live anywhere near duluth, suwanee area and can recommend nice apartments?

Old 10-31-2018, 12:39 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,511,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet storm iii View Post
anybody live anywhere near duluth, suwanee area and can recommend nice apartments?
Use this apartment search engine to find nice apartments that will be to your liking in the Duluth and Suwanee areas...
https://www.promove.com/

Old 11-06-2018, 03:32 PM

3,662 posts, read 3,942,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyPet View Post
Thank you! We will check it out. We really love Old Fourth Ward, but it seems we will be confined to driving to work if we stay here.

I heard that many here don't take MARTA. Why is that?

Perhaps we are wrong in thinking that it's better to live near a train station. Living in Old Fourth Ward would put us really close to work.
The area around Ponce City Market is the place to be right now.

But beware, it's still a dangerous area, and from what I see, Ponce City Market and all of the development has not driven out the crowd that leaves both sides of Ponce de Leon Ave covered with trash literally each night.

They make me furious being so inconsiderate and forcing all of us to look at trash on such a prominent thoroughfare.

Regarding how this area is judged by people who've been here longer:

Atlanta'[s real estate market is one of the nation's hottest with prices and valuations practically doubling in the past 5 years, especially in beltline-adjacent areas like this.

Homes sell in one day, many over asking prices.

And yet the brand new townhomes on Parkway Dr. about 1/4 mile from Ponce City that reduced prices from the 600s to 500s had only 2 end units when I looked at their website last week.

Why? because this immediate area has traditionally been known as one of the most dangerous, especially at night.

Even mentioning going to that Wendy's on Blvd. between North and Ponce would raise eyebrows.

So, the area is fabulous, but that's the big caveat that you cannot forget about.

Crime in Atlanta is pretty bad. The Kroger being built there is replacing the old one known as "Murder Kroger" with several happening in the parking lot as recently as 2015.\

Armed robbery, carjacking, as gas station "sliders" who prey on unlocked doors as people pump gas happen every day in Atlanta.

What I do when walking is always be aware of what's within 500 feet of you and don't get within reach of someone who raises your suspicion.

The muggings, etc. happen when it's an easy opportunity.

Keeping enough distance from bushes hiding places when no one else is around at night and always scanning your surroundings will keep you out of harm's reach in Atlanta.

I think it will take another 10 years for the area around Ponce City Market to be declared "safe" without additional advice of caution following it.

Last edited by architect77; 11-06-2018 at 03:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta