Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 09:21 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times

Advertisements

$5B is ludacris cost that will not relieve congestion. We need a change of thought at the top of GDOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 04:22 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
$5B is ludacris cost that will not relieve congestion. We need a change of thought at the top of GDOT.

Your ire should be directed towards the Governor/General Assembly on this.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:05 AM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoATL View Post
Are we sure about the quoted $5B cost of the project? The I-75 expressway (NW Express corridor) cost us $834M which is about 30 miles. I doubt the similar construction (but twice the number of lanes) might take almost five times the cost. However the I-285 top end express lane project is part of the Major Mobility Investment Program (MMIP) which includes several other such projects. I'm wondering if the reported $5B tag is for the entirety of the MMIP.
I'm believing it may be accurate because unlike the I-75 lanes, these lanes will not be reversible meaning they will be installed on both sides of the highway. I believe they will be installed above the shoulder lanes of each side meaning there will be two new alignments (one for eastbound lanes and one for westbound lanes). Then add the fact that they will be elevated for their entire length and the amount of reworks they will have to do maneuver them around existing infrastructure.. ..its going to be expensive and unsightly when its finished.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:02 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Not understanding why this state is willing to throw 5 billion away at HOT lanes but cant add even a mile of MARTA rail or implement Heavy Rail.
You realize we're talking about Georgia, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'm believing it may be accurate because unlike the I-75 lanes, these lanes will not be reversible meaning they will be installed on both sides of the highway. I believe they will be installed above the shoulder lanes of each side meaning there will be two new alignments (one for eastbound lanes and one for westbound lanes). Then add the fact that they will be elevated for their entire length and the amount of reworks they will have to do maneuver them around existing infrastructure.. ..its going to be expensive and unsightly when its finished.
This all sounds awful.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:35 PM

GDOT has no clear answers for Dunwoody residents worried about I-285 toll lanes impacts

Quote:
Dunwoody residents living in the Georgetown community will likely have to wait until the end of this year before learning how new toll lanes along I-285 may affect their homes, businesses and also a historic recreation center.

That was the message Georgia Department of Transportation representatives told more than 60 residents who gathered at City Hall on Jan. 22.

The meeting, arranged by City Councilmember Lynn Deutsch for the Georgetown residents, provided them with background of the “I-285 Top End Express Lanes” project that is slated to begin construction in 2023. But questions about right of way acquisition, if and when barriers would be built to buffer interstate traffic noise, and where planned elevated toll lanes would be built went largely unanswered.

The I-285 Top End Express Lanes project, estimated to cost close to $5 billion, focuses on adding two new elevated, barrier-separated express lanes in both directions on I-285, alongside regular travel lanes. They could stand 30 feet or higher. GDOT says the added toll lanes would alleviate traffic on one of the most heavily traveled and congested highways in the country by allowing motorists to pay a fee to drive in less congested lanes.

More than three miles of I-285 Top End Express Lanes would be located in Dunwoody.

New toll lanes, called “express lanes” or “managed lanes,” are also planned for Ga. 400 in the Perimeter Center area over the next decade, with the intent of improving overall traffic flow. Parts of both projects are expected to be elevated toll lanes to use existing right of way. The Ga. 400 lanes also would carry a new MARTA bus rapid transit route.

Construction of those toll lanes is slated to begin in 2021 and open to traffic 2024.

The I-285 top end toll lanes and Ga. 400 toll lanes are separate projects from the “Transform 285/400” project now underway. Transform 285/400 is essentially reorganizing and rebuilding the I-285/Ga. 400 interchange to make traffic flow faster and safer. It is expected to be finished in 2020.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:13 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Expect more of the same for the next 4 years with Kemp. You get what you get.... You voted for him (at least, most of Georgia did).

Old 01-23-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Expect more of the same for the next 4 years with Kemp. You get what you get.... You voted for him (at least, most of Georgia did).
These lanes were likely going to happen even if Abrams did get elected.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:54 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,695,326 times
Bus system best option for I-285 transit, consultants tell Sandy Springs | Reporter Newspaper

Quote:
A new bus system running along the planned I-285 toll lanes is the most feasible solution to provide east and west connectivity in the area, transportation consultants working with several cities along the interstate said in a report at the Sandy Springs City Council Jan. 22 retreat.
Quote:
The study assumes the bus system would be unable to use the toll lane access points and would need to have its own. Building those would cost $300 million to $480 million depending on how far the project goes, the consultants said. The vehicle would cost another $10 million. Maintenance and operations would cost $5 to $8 million, they said.
There are times when I wish this site wouldn't censor swear words, because I could use a whole host of them right about now.

I-285 is turning into an even worse version of transit on GA-400. The per-mile estimates are already much higher for the HOT lanes than to just build heavy rail, and now they're talking about throwing an additional few hundred million into the pile for much lower quality BRT.

I've already put a dent in my desk where my head hits it, and more of this idiocy and I might just break through the chip-board.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:51 AM

617 posts, read 552,394 times
I wish they would do something already. Traffic through the perimeter area is AWFUL and gets worst daily.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:49 AM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Bus system best option for I-285 transit, consultants tell Sandy Springs | Reporter Newspaper

There are times when I wish this site wouldn't censor swear words, because I could use a whole host of them right about now.

I-285 is turning into an even worse version of transit on GA-400. The per-mile estimates are already much higher for the HOT lanes than to just build heavy rail, and now they're talking about throwing an additional few hundred million into the pile for much lower quality BRT.

I've already put a dent in my desk where my head hits it, and more of this idiocy and I might just break through the chip-board.
One of the points in toll lanes is to help pay for routes for express buses and carpools. It needs to be designed with those in mind.

I doubt there is enough demand for rail in that corridor. It would be wasted capacity. Buses could easily handle it. There are a lot more people who couldn't use rail who could benefit from the toll road. Spending billions to benefit 5% of the traffic or spending billions + a few hundred million to benefit 100% of the traffic?>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta