Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 07:13 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,513,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Oh, come now. I'd say the Peachtree Battle shopping center reflects the habits of Buckhead residents more than London or Milan. We were recently at a dinner party with several folks up there and they said they hadn't been to Lenox or Phipps in years, and I seriously doubt that they go out to fancy-schmancy restaurants on a regular basis.

Remember, when Lenox opened it was anchored by mainstream department stores Rich's and Macy's. It had a gas station, pet store, a movie theatre, a dime store, and a Colonial grocery. And yes, Buckhead has a Krystal and just about every other fast food joint imaginable and they seem to stay pretty busy.
Perhaps your circle in Buckhead is composed of a much older and disconnected group. The ones I know like to shop, travel, and eat. No, they aren’t self absorbed individuals who look down at the rest of the region but they are discerning and have excellent taste. Some of them are frugal, but they still aren’t as frugal as you’re trying to make them out to be. They still love their Louis Vuitton and their fancy German cars. They travel all around the world, and frequently at that. They also like trying new restaurants and when their equally fancy friends come to Atlanta from other cities, those same restaurants your little circle ignores are the same ones the people I know are taking their guest to.

Idk why the need to try to normalize an elite crowd. If you’re willing to pay six figures in property taxes there’s no need in trying to pretend you don’t identify with $2,500 shoes and $5,000 purses. Isn’t Ben Carter himself a Buckhead resident who owns a yacht? I guess you ignore those types because they don’t fit your narrative... or maybe I know more of the new money Buckhead and not enough of the multi generational Buckhead that apparently didn’t help foster the identity that the district now has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
I actually agree with the above, isawooty. I must not have gotten my point across well. I just feel like we didn't need more Lenox/Phipps retail space, we already have that. It needs more interesting boutiques, variety of stores like PCM or Westside Provisions to get the locals to go there, IMO. I agree, Krystal and Payless would not work here. . But it could be high-end with a different mix that would be more warm and inviting--although it will be an uphill climb since the architecture is itself not very friendly, sadly.
And I agree with this comment as well. BA was a pointless development that could have been saved and sent to Lenox & Phipps.

Arjay is trying to act like Buckhead residents have the same spending habits as those in McDonough or Kennesaw. Give me a break.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
And the foot traffic at phipps is still much more than that of Buckhead Atlanta so I don't really see the point lol. Hell I shop at Phipps myself and i've been to "Buckhead Atlanta" more than a couple times and there is no comparison in the number of shoppers for the luxury stores. You assume i'm talking from a watching standpoint instead of one that actually shops in those stores. And didn't Tom Ford move to Phipps for that exact reason? That's...kinda my point. That entire development has been a disaster since they built it. And no, the tenants are not satisfied with the few shoppers they get there. Wouldn't be surprised to see more of them leave there and go to Phipps either.
That’s the point. The more exclusive the less foot traffic. Lenox= New York/Phipps= Jackson/BA= Tifton, GA.

But you shop in those stores, so it’s your crowd. If you say the center is struggling, it’s struggling. Maybe it will close a lot faster than the other decades long struggling stores that have managed to stay open well past their expiration date.

Again, I agree the development was not necessary at all...

Old 07-26-2019, 08:02 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,996,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Atlanta is just not particularly family friendly. When our kids were younger, we often went ITP to shop for clothes. And, of course, there's the go-karts, mini-golf, skyzone and those sorts of places all in the burbs.
If you ask me, it's the go-karts, mini-golf, skyzone places that are not kid-friendly. Get your kids outside away from places that take your money. Just walked my son to the creek--we saw a snake, frogs, frog eggs, deer tracks, we skipped rocks, climbed trees--that's the best part about Atlanta for kids, that you can live in the city and still have green and wild places to explore.

but back to Buckhead Atlanta--it's terrible.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:52 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Perhaps your circle in Buckhead is composed of a much older and disconnected group. The ones I know like to shop, travel, and eat. No, they aren’t self absorbed individuals who look down at the rest of the region but they are discerning and have excellent taste. Some of them are frugal, but they still aren’t as frugal as you’re trying to make them out to be. They still love their Louis Vuitton and their fancy German cars. They travel all around the world, and frequently at that. They also like trying new restaurants and when their equally fancy friends come to Atlanta from other cities, those same restaurants your little circle ignores are the same ones the people I know are taking their guest to.

Idk why the need to try to normalize an elite crowd. If you’re willing to pay six figures in property taxes there’s no need in trying to pretend you don’t identify with $2,500 shoes and $5,000 purses. Isn’t Ben Carter himself a Buckhead resident who owns a yacht? I guess you ignore those types because they don’t fit your narrative... or maybe I know more of the new money Buckhead and not enough of the multi generational Buckhead that apparently didn’t help foster the identity that the district now has.
I hardly think a German car is a sign of luxury these days. You can pick up a late model Mercedes or BMW for the price of a Honda.

Likewise with Louis Vitton. There's nothing exclusive about that anymore.

And I don't know anybody who's choosing to pay giant six figure property taxes.

And I'd wager you'd find just as many yachtsmen in Milton and Alpharetta as you would in Buckhead.

Here's what actual Buckhead residents say about the OliverMcMillan/Jamestown project:

Quote:
“We don’t want to go to stores that are more like museums to most of us,” one resident said at the town hall. “You leave with one thing that can cost $800 to $1,000. It’s just crazy.”

“We don’t want to make this another PCM. We want it to be the Main Street it needs to be,” Phillips said, adding, “We want to add a contextual relationship to the streetscape, and warm it up a little bit, and make it feel a little more like a place in the center of the city.”

A woman in the audience agreed, saying, “We need a more neighborhood community feel, more charm, more areas with patios where you can sit outside and have a cocktail with your friends, where dogs are allowed and cars aren’t.”

A common theme was the fact that residents go elsewhere for shopping, dining and entertainment.

“There’s nowhere here to go with your family that’s not really expensive,” said one.

Full article: Buckhead’s ‘The Shops’ should cater to local shoppers, residents say; name change planned

Old 07-27-2019, 10:21 AM

16,703 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Quote:
And I agree with this comment as well. BA was a pointless development that could have been saved and sent to Lenox & Phipps.

...And they could've preserved Buckhead Village as it was.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
If you ask me, it's the go-karts, mini-golf, skyzone places that are not kid-friendly. Get your kids outside away from places that take your money. Just walked my son to the creek--we saw a snake, frogs, frog eggs, deer tracks, we skipped rocks, climbed trees--that's the best part about Atlanta for kids, that you can live in the city and still have green and wild places to explore.

but back to Buckhead Atlanta--it's terrible.

A snake?

Old 07-27-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
...And they could've preserved Buckhead Village as it was.
Amen.

Do you believe the rise in Nashville’s party scene is a direct result of Buckhead loosing its party scene?

Old 07-27-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Amen.

Do you believe the rise in Nashville’s party scene is a direct result of Buckhead loosing its party scene?
Could be. It’s sad that Atlanta does not have that party scene like it once did in Buckhead.

Old 07-27-2019, 02:37 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,996,780 times
Quote:
Amen.

And before the late night clubs it was more evening restaurants/bars, before that it was local stores--and the scale during all these periods was human. I don't see it going back to the late night clubs bc the younger crowd is more in the beltline/O4W areas now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta