Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 04:42 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

For some reason, everytime I take a bus into the city of Marietta, I see mainly the dumpy areas near the Lockhead Martin plant, Delk Road, Franklin Road, basically, any area after the Marietta Square. The part of Marietta near the Marietta Square is very nice artsy looking and has sort of a look that reminds me of either NYC, Chicago, or San Francisco. Whenever I go past the Cobb County Public Library the area gets very dumpy and grim. Does anyone know anything about the city of Marietta from it's old days and what has happened since then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 09:19 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Does anyone know anything about the city of Marietta from it's old days and what has happened since then?
Though it's somewhat controversial to say it - two works: Illegal immigrants.

There has been a HUGE surge in the number of illegals in that area in the last few years. At one point every day you'd see hundreds of day layborers at numerous corners waiting for contractors to pick them up, but they've (somewhat) started to crack down on that in the last year or so. But outside of the Buford Highway area, it's about the second largest number of illegal immigrants in a small concentrated area. Not everyone you see in that area is illegal mind you - but there's a large number. There is also a larger crime issue in that area because many of these guys work for cash and robbers know it.

Cobb County is cracking down on illegals, and there are also a number of contractors who have plans for new developments scattered throughout these areas, though. Some are going through with the plans now, and a few others are semi-stalled until the housing market picks back up but still are on the board to proceed eventually.

You can see where some of these projects are going to be here: Move to Marietta!

Old 06-05-2008, 06:26 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,836,148 times
Illegal Mexicans

Old 06-05-2008, 06:53 AM

847 posts, read 1,458,136 times
I'll add two more words: Low Rent.

You can still get a one-bedroom apartment in that area for about $500 a month or even less in some cases. That tends to bring in an element that would be priced out of other areas.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:03 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,069,183 times
I just left GA. But have to say the dumpy areas didn't have immigrants living there. I was really disappointed with the place, in some sections people my age (I'm in my 30's) didn't have their teeth. I would also have to agree with Big L. Loved the Square at night though.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
I just left GA. But have to say the dumpy areas didn't have immigrants living there. I was really disappointed with the place, in some sections people my age (I'm in my 30's) didn't have their teeth. I would also have to agree with Big L. Loved the Square at night though.
Didn't have their teeth? That's odd, considering I've never seen this, and I have lived here for over thirty years (my entire life).

Old 06-05-2008, 05:00 PM

Scraper Enthusiast, maybe you live in a better area then I was in but some places in Marietta were really, really sketchy. The way in which people describe Marietta I thought it would be very similar to Alpharetta or Roswell. But it just wasn't. Trust when I say that some areas were below ghetto standards. Many residents of Marietta acknowledge what I am communicating. But have told me that at one point Marietta had very low income folks there (they don't know where they moved them to, but some folks still remain) and that Marietta is planning to redevelop the area and its downtown.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:07 PM

162 posts, read 683,814 times
I have lived in Marietta as long as I've been in GA which is about 17 years now and Marietta has changed quite a bit. Back then Marietta was like the hold up of the right wing conservatives, Newt Gingrich country. My first apartment was called Post Knoll off Delk Rd. that area has really changed, I don't see many caucasians living in aparments in that area any more. In 92 We bought a home off Dallas Hwy and there were hardly any Afro-Americans in that area at the time. I now live off the E/W connector near Powder Spr Rd and that area is very mixed. My subdivision has all ethnicities and no one dominates the other, which I love because my children interact with all people. Now the OP stated something kind of funny by saying Marietta had some not so nice areas. Well back in 91 Marietta had a lot of not so nice areas. Around the square was always marginal, old delapadated houses and lots of public housing, etc. Most of that is all gone now for high priced mixed developments. Across from the Cobb Civic Center (on 120 loop) there was a really crappy looking public housing development which was torn down. That area now holds the huge CCT bus terminal station. It looks like most of the areas really going down are over on Austell Rd, So. Cobb Drive, and Windy Hill. I believe a lot of apartment complexes have taken on the public housing population from MHA (Marietta Housing Author.) and other low income people moving out to Marietta. This will really bring home values down in those areas. I have chosen not to bash the illegal immigrants because lets face it they are here, they aren't going any where and they have to live some where. It looks like the only way to hold your housing value is to not be near an apartment complex. It would be great if Marietta could some how follow Smyrna's lead in redevelopment, but I doubt it. I think some areas in Marietta will just remain crappy!

Old 06-05-2008, 05:30 PM

Love Cobb, thank you for telling it like it is cause that's what most of the locals told me when I was there this past week. It has great potential from what I can see and I too love that the area is very integrated. People in Cobb just seem so darn happy.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Love Cobb, thank you for telling it like it is cause that's what most of the locals told me when I was there this past week. It has great potential from what I can see and I too love that the area is very integrated. People in Cobb just seem so darn happy.
What is so great about a very "integrated" (racially diverse) area. All areas are integrated, as that relates to a political term. However, I suppose you're saying that you like the destruction of former white communities. Is that it? You like that white areas all over metro Atlanta, the U.S., and the world are becoming non-white, and that probably suits your little heart contently because, after all, you've becomed like a programmed bot to the zog box, mainstream media, and popular culture which tells people that it's okay to be anti-white and pro-diversity. It's okay to wish white areas to become non-white. Is that it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta