Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:45 AM

49 posts, read 175,150 times

Advertisements

Dear all,

I am moving with my family from Europe to ATL for 2009 (whole year). I am looking for your advice on which neighborhoods should I choose as my temporary home there.

My top priority is safety - I've heard stories about Atlanta that scared me bad. I've never lived in any American city, so I've bit different experiences when it comes to safety (e.g. never ever heard a gun shot on the street other than cannons shooting on independence day and funerals of noble soldiers / politicians). I want to rent an apartment / townhouse / house not being scared to leave it on weekends or turn the lights off at night.

2nd priority is friendliness for kids. While I'll be at work, my wife and 2 kids (one aged 2.5, one aged 4.5) will be staying around home. Safe parks, playgrounds, recreational areas, shopping malls will be very appreciated. I want to send both boys to some kindergarten so that they can quickly pick up English.

Then comes the commute. My office will be in Bank of America building in city's downtown (I guess it's downtown). I can have an underground garage over there. I'm prepared for commutes up to 1 hour. Or a very good connection on safe public transit.

When it comes to cost - now this is a difficult question. My salary is 6-digit + some reimbursement of rent and life cost by employer. I'm not sure what I'll be able to afford there. What can I expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 09:02 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Given your parameters, you have many options in the city...I won't try and name them all here; instead, I'll make a case for the community in which I live, Decatur. It is quaint, pedestrian-friendly, safe, and a mecca for young families. Playgrounds, parks and good preschools are all here. Also, it's about a 5 mile straight shot from downtown Decatur to the Bank of America building in Midtown (20-25 minutes in the AM). You can also utilize the MARTA rail line from Decatur station to the North Ave station (BOA building).

www.decaturga.com

Old 08-05-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I'll make a case for the community in which I live, Decatur. It is quaint, pedestrian-friendly, safe, and a mecca for young families. Playgrounds, parks and good preschools are all here. Also, it's about a 5 mile straight shot from downtown Decatur to the Bank of America building in Midtown (20-25 minutes in the AM). You can also utilize the MARTA rail line from Decatur station to the North Ave station (BOA building).
Sounds good! Thank you for your input.

Safe and family-mecca are the words I am looking for.

Do you have any info about rental costs that I might expect?

Old 08-05-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darekk View Post
Sounds good! Thank you for your input.

Safe and family-mecca are the words I am looking for.

Do you have any info about rental costs that I might expect?
There is a delightful 3 BR cottage for rent in my neighborhood for $1600.00 mo. That would be about the going rate around here.
Townhouses might be a little cheaper. Here are a couple of sites that are popular with locals that are looking for rentals in Atlanta:

www.atlanta.craigslist.org (http://www.atlanta.craigslist.org - broken link)

www.atlanta.creativeloafing.com

Old 08-05-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
There is a delightful 3 BR cottage for rent in my neighborhood for $1600.00 mo. That would be about the going rate around here.
Great. I've expected a substantially heftier price than that.
But such cottages - these are not closed communities, with own security and such?

Old 08-05-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darekk View Post
Great. I've expected a substantially heftier price than that.
But such cottages - these are not closed communities, with own security and such?
No, but the city has a very good police dept, and many homes and apartments have internal security systems (I do).
I feel quite safe here. My 20 year old daughter often walks with friends to the downtown area for coffee at night, and there is never a problem (I still tell her to keep her eyes open, of course, but I would do that anyway).

Old 08-05-2008, 09:40 AM

5 posts, read 12,732 times
i've lived in Midtown for 5 years and I've never heard a gunshot.

seriously, you won't hear gunshots in any neighborhood you would conceivably be considering.

you're a lot safer in Atlanta than you are in London. any crime statistic you see would be local-on-local.

If you are at BofA, you are right on the road that separates Midtown from Downtown.

Some close neighborhoods with good schools:

Midtown
Virginia Highland
Ansley Park
Morningside
Inman Park
Buckhead

Atlanta is an amazingly kid-friendly city. I would start with an open-mind.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:45 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,041 times
FYI, I was born and raised in Atlanta (Decatur, really) and, like you, I have never heard a gun shot on the street (including cannon fire ).

I don't know about European cities, but I suspect there are "good areas" there just as there are "bad areas." Most of Atlanta is as safe as any other major American city. The "bad areas" are generally synonymous with the "very poor" areas. You'll be making plenty of money to ensure that you have no reason to live in a dangerous area. You don't need to look for some kind of gated, fortified community.

Honestly, what you should be more concerned about is the traffic. Try to live as close to where you work as possible. Decatur is a great choice. Good schools (including some excellent private schools if you prefer), lots of parks, walk to shops & restaurants, easy commute downtown.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:27 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
Let me also suggest Candler Park, which is between Decatur and downtown. It's a family oriented neighborhood, with good schools, etc. That's where I live with my husband and son. Haven't heard a gunshot yet.

The zipcode is 30307 and it included Inman Park and Lake Claire. I highly recommend anywhere in that zipcode.

Just another option.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:00 PM

401 posts, read 1,733,159 times
Default Ditto on the above

I agree with all of the above... some great neighborhoods are listed. We used to hear gunshots back in the old days in Inman Park (late 80s) - but that is all cleaned up now. You have some great suggestions... my favorite, of course, is Decatur... b/c I live there so I'm biased for it!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta