Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:08 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times

Advertisements

As a Chicagoan I talk to folks all the time about Atlanta. One reocurring answer I get is bad news and disappointment.

I am thinking people that move to Atlanta because of the hype, I guess. What are people expecting when tey move to Atl. that causes them to move back home after 18months? Do people think are are going to party like a rockstar when they move to Atlanta?

Are peoples expectations to high?

I'm just curiouos why transplants get disappointed.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:27 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Don't know about your particular cases but the area seems to be nothing but transplants, so a lot of them like it and have stayed. It's getting harder and harder to find natives in Atlanta anymore.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:30 PM

ok.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Don't know about your particular cases but the area seems to be nothing but transplants, so a lot of them like it and have stayed. It's getting harder and harder to find natives in Atlanta anymore.

Last edited by Ron.; 10-08-2008 at 09:57 PM..

Old 10-08-2008, 10:01 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
As a Chicagoan I talk to folks all the time about Atlanta. One reocurring answer I get is bad news and disappointment.

I am thinking people that move to Atlanta because of the hype, I guess. What are people expecting when tey move to Atl. that causes them to move back home after 18months? Do people think are are going to party like a rockstar when they move to Atlanta?

Are peoples expectations to high?

I'm just curiouos why transplants get disappointed.
You make some very broad and general comments. As a two time transplant to Atlanta from the northeast, maybe I can add perspective and ask a few questions.

Who are these folks you "talk to all the time about Atlanta?" Are they people who live in Atlanta and relocated from your neck of the woods? Are they people who live near you in Chicago who have second hand knowledge? Did they relocate and move back? Why? Was it their lack of planning and research? How many people have you spoken to about Atlanta? What is the "bad news and disappointment" they have shared with you? What were their expectation? Perhaps the folks you know had a false set off expectations?

I can say from my experience that I moved here the first time as a college student and stayed for 7 years after school. The second time (with a 15 year gap), a little more than a year ago, I relocated with my family and transfered my same job to Atlanta when we moved. There was no hype...no rock star expectations. Some of that was due to my knowledge of the area, but much was due to my research and the stage of life that I'm currently in. We wanted a family area with good schools, nice homes, great weather, and a different quality of life. We weren't looking for party town. I know other transplants who have been here both many years and just a short time, and most feel the same as me and my wife.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:03 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
What I do know is that Atlanta has had huge number of transplants for the better part of the last three decades. Atlanta as a metro area just topped the 1 million mark in 1960. Now it is over 5 million. That is a ton of growth in just 4 decades. That says to me a lot more people are coming and staying than coming and going back home.

I am sure you will find people from any area that move to another area and for whatever reason go back home. I would suggest you ask your individual acquaintances why they came back. But to paint with some broad brush stroke that something is wrong with Atlanta and people are leaving in droves is far from the truth. The statistics don't match up with that. The area had the second largest population gain between 2006 and 2007, just a few thousand less than Dallas/Fort Worth.

This current economic situation will likely slow growth just about everywhere, but there is nothing happening in Atlanta that isn't happening in other parts of the country and Atlanta is probably in as good a position as any to weather this current storm with little damage.

Perhaps your friends thinking they were going to be a star had something to do with it. Were they trying to hit it big in rap/hip hop/urban/ whatever the current term is/ music? That or professional wrestling or the Weather Channel? I don't know many other avenues for stardom in Atlanta.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:10 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,582 times
Quote:
As a Chicagoan I talk to folks all the time about Atlanta. One reocurring answer I get is bad news and disappointment. I am thinking people that move to Atlanta because of the hype, I guess. What are people expecting when they move to Atl. that causes them to move back home after 18months? Do people think are are going to party like a rockstar when they move to Atlanta?
Are peoples' expectations to high? I'm just curious why transplants get disappointed.
I move to Metro Atlanta in 1991 (job transfers). Lived "intown" ... bought a house Virginia-Highlands ... then 18mo later, bought a home in the NW 'burbs and rented out the other house ever since.

Anything "hyped" [in my opinion] "burns fast, burns hot then is gone".

I've heard "Atlanta" described as many things ... however many posts have indicated that new residents come here looking for ATL to be like "home" (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, Miami, etc.) but it's simply NOT. And that's where disappointment takes root. After all the silly arguments I've witnessed on this venue, it truly makes NO sense to compare. ATL is Atlanta and it's not going to be like any other place. Let it BE what it is ...

I have a pretty decent life in the NW 'burbs. To be honest however, when I want to see a theatrical production, play ... or upscale shopping, I don't even THINK of the City of Atlanta. I hop a flight to New York, Chicago ... Washington, DC ... or Los Angeles. That's where I like to go.

New York, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, DC, San Francisco, San Diego, Miami, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans (sorry if I left anyone out) and Atlanta all have their own unique qualities.

And in all honesty [my opinion] no two are alike.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:13 PM

I know I made general and broad comments. I just reated what I heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
You make some very broad and general comments. As a two time transplant to Atlanta from the northeast, maybe I can add perspective and ask a few questions.

Who are these folks you "talk to all the time about Atlanta?" Are they people who live in Atlanta and relocated from your neck of the woods? Are they people who live near you in Chicago who have second hand knowledge? Did they relocate and move back? Why? Was it their lack of planning and research? How many people have you spoken to about Atlanta? What is the "bad news and disappointment" they have shared with you? What were their expectation? Perhaps the folks you know had a false set off expectations?

I can say from my experience that I moved here the first time as a college student and stayed for 7 years after school. The second time (with a 15 year gap), a little more than a year ago, I relocated with my family and transfered my same job to Atlanta when we moved. There was no hype...no rock star expectations. Some of that was due to my knowledge of the area, but much was due to my research and the stage of life that I'm currently in. We wanted a family area with good schools, nice homes, great weather, and a different quality of life. We weren't looking for party town. I know other transplants who have been here both many years and just a short time, and most feel the same as me and my wife.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:14 PM

Good post.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
I move to Metro Atlanta in 1991 (job transfers). Lived "intown" ... bought a house Virginia-Highlands ... then 18mo later, bought a home in the NW 'burbs and rented out the other house ever since.

Anything "hyped" [in my opinion] "burns fast, burns hot then is gone".

I've heard "Atlanta" described as many things ... however many posts have indicated that new residents come here looking for ATL to be like "home" (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, Miami, etc.) but it's simply NOT. And that's where disappointment takes root. After all the silly arguments I've witnessed on this venue, it truly makes NO sense to compare. ATL is Atlanta and it's not going to be like any other place. Let it BE what it is ...

I have a pretty decent life in the NW 'burbs. To be honest however, when I want to see a theatrical production, play ... or upscale shopping, I don't even THINK of the City of Atlanta. I hop a flight to New York, Chicago ... Washington, DC ... or Los Angeles. That's where I like to go.

New York, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, DC, San Francisco, San Diego, Miami, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans (sorry if I left anyone out) and Atlanta all have their own unique qualities.

And in all honesty [my opinion] no two are alike.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:20 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,582 times
Quote:
Good post. Thanks.
You're welcome. I hit Michigan Avenue ever so often ... I love Wrigley Field ... ya know one of the things I like about Chicago? The CTA. Start at MDW (Orange) transfer at The Loop to (Red) line ... off at Belmont Station. Eat breakfast next to the City Suites Hotel ...

Sometimes I fly to Chicago just for the day. Great town. Great people.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:27 PM

Thanks for showing the love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
You're welcome. I hit Michigan Avenue ever so often ... I love Wrigley Field ... ya know one of the things I like about Chicago? The CTA. Start at MDW (Orange) transfer at The Loop to (Red) line ... off at Belmont Station. Eat breakfast next to the City Suites Hotel ...

Sometimes I fly to Chicago just for the day. Great town. Great people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta