Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2010, 01:09 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,814,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Even if there wasn't much to pre-war Atlanta compared to pre-war Bucharest. That said, Atlanta used to have more historic buildings than it does now. Terminal Station was torn down in 1970. Union Station was torn down in 1972. Atlanta did not retain most of its Old South architecture in an attempt to be part of the New South. Many of Bucharest's old buildings were torn down under Ceausescu in the name of communism.
If you look at Atlanta, and then look at Savannah New Orleans, and Charleston, the city of Atlanta doesn't seem to have as much "old" charm as the aforementioned cities.
That is simply not true...you mention two structures that were demolished during urban renewal in Atlanta, but you don't seem to understand that there are tons of historical buildings that have been preserved and are still in use today. MOST of Atlanta's history is still around. All you have to do is walk around and notice it.

You can't compare cities that were founded in the 1600 and 1700s to one that was founded in the 1800s. Atlanta is a much newer city than those you mentioned - and they had a much larger stock of older buildings to begin with.

I think every city in the world "used to" have more historic buildings than they do now. That's the thing about time marching forward...not every structure can be salvaged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
Those cities also had more of that type of architecture in relation to their size than Atlanta did.
Exactly.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Likely due to the simple fact that those cities predate Atlanta by at least a couple of hundred years. It's really not even a valid comparison.
You are right about the tragic loss of the train stations. Some other notable (and splendid) buildings that came down over the period you cite:

Atlanta Athletic Club
http://www.flaglergroup.com/images/A...maller%202.jpg

Frances Hotel
Frances Hotel - 1984 article thumbnails

Kimball House Hotel
Kimball House

Dinkler Plaza (Hotel Ansley)
SouthernEdition.com Dinkler Hotels: Bastions of Excellence Set Southern Hotelier Apart
Hotel Ansley postcard
Those were some significant losses in Atlanta...like almost every city, Atlanta experienced a "tear it down" period in an attempt to draw people back to downtown. It obviously wasn't the solution.

There are a few others as well, but we have so many beautiful historic buildings in this city...I'm just happy that preservation became popular in the nick of time.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:29 PM

265 posts, read 330,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
What I a was responding to is i am basically saying that that is NOT by some "grand design" which somehow make the state in better shape overall.
But that's not what I said. You can't set up a strawman consisting of something I didn't say and then try to knock it down. I simply said that as a state, NC has had a more concerted effort to spread the wealth throughout the state than Georgia has and I cited specific examples that demonstrate this. That doesn't make NC a better state or Georgia a worse state. It just is what it is.

Quote:
Every study I can find has Georgia as the leader in the Southeast after Virginia.Even in these times.Infrastructure,Economy,Government,Education etc Georgia ranks higher or they are so close its does not matter...So yes it while all that growth is tied to one central city of Atlanta.
Thank you. That's exactly what I'm arguing. Aside from infrastructure (which Georgia does do a better job, which I have already conceded), practically all of Georgia's high marks are because of Atlanta, and Atlanta is what it is because of progressive local leadership, not progressive statewide leadership. I don't know why some feel the need to dismiss this; it's just the truth. While NC's cities have seen progressive leadership, none have been at the level of Atlanta's leadership. And at the same time, NC has done better as a state in terms of spreading prosperity around the state.

Quote:
Not to mention Raleigh-Durham benefits due to the fact that Durham is close to Raleigh which happens to be the capitol of the state.
That's not really a major benefit, since state government isn't the driver of the Triangle's local economy. Higher education and hi-tech/biotech are, and Durham plays just as important a role as Raleigh does when it comes to that.

Quote:
Even after you leave the metro area,several cities metro areas like Athens,Macon,Columbus and Chattanooga actually touch or with one county of touching.These are not cities the size of Charlotte or Raleigh,but they are very close to what Greensboro and Winston-Salem are.
Chattanooga yes, but that's in Tennessee. I know the metro area has like one county in Georgia, but I would imagine that it's pretty suburban or rural. Athens, Macon, and Columbus--not so much. Greensboro alone has a more populous MSA and higher metropolitan GDP than Athens, Macon, and Columbus combined.

Quote:
Charlotte also is notoriously on the bottom for tourism travel.I tried in vain to find concrete numbers on Charlotte tourism and convention numbers.It was very spare or none existent.All I could find was in refrence to international travel to the U.S. from overseas visitors.
Let me help you out: The 30 most visited U.S. cities - USATODAY.com

Even so, Charlotte doesn't have a bunch of touristy attractions nor does it host a lot of big events throughout the year like Atlanta, nor is it a "living museum" or on the coast like Savannah. Charlotte is primarily a business city and has only relatively recently started going after more large-scale events.

Quote:
While everyone knows that North Carolina does well overall due to its coast in Tourism,its cities are very poor i that major department.
Yes, but that's not germane to the point that I'm making. I'm not out to make Georgia look bad or anything like that, and that seems to be how you're taking it. I'm only saying that NC has purposefully done more to spread the wealth throughout the state than Georgia has. Admitting that doesn't take anything away from Georgia.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:32 PM

265 posts, read 330,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
NC has more medium metro areas I give it that
And that's all I'm arguing. And it shows when you drive throughout the state. Yes Atlanta is huge, but all of the development throughout the metro area is all Atlanta's. The entire Piedmont Crescent is less populous, but that still consists of three separate 1 million+ metro regions.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:26 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,647 times
To the person who was talking about how ridiculous it is that Metro Atlanta is made up of 28 counties...

1) Georgia counties are smaller than most
2) As a point of reference, NYC metro is made up of 23 Counties in 3 states (and that's not sprawl?)
3) The core counties: Fulton, Dekalb, Gwinnett, Cobb, Clayton = 3.5 million people compared to Charlotte's core counties: Mecklenburg, Union, York, Gaston, Cabarrus = 1.7 million.
4) You expand Atlanta to include the 28 counties and you get around 5-5.5 million. You expand Charlotte to include the 14 or 15 counties and you get around 2.2-2.4 million.
5) There's no denying due to growth that Cherokee, Forsyth, Henry, Douglas, Rockdale, Fayette, and Coweta are definitely part of the core metro area (which brings the core metro to 4-4.5 million). It's no different than in the NYC suburbs which take up most of North and Central NJ. (And yes, I know the difference is that way more people live in NYC than in the city of Atlanta).

Old 09-27-2010, 11:15 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,941,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Sorry.I cant remember how to use the multiple quote function.
Of course 'Im NOT saying that North Carolina top major cities are NOT overall bigger.What I a was responding to is i am basically saying that that is NOT ...
It saddens me to see someone so desperate and lonely for any kind of interaction with another human being, as evidenced by bold red attempts to spark any sort of debate...

1) I mentioned Savannah's port only because it had been cited previously by someone defending all of Georgia.

2) Georgia's port is a huge success, but the nation's deep water ports were shaped by topography, accessibility of the waterways, and strategic points serving different regions of the country. Georgia is smart in building up it's ports, especially since the Panama Canal is being widened, and Louisiana's ports are falling 3) Comparably sized ports won't ever be needed in North Carolina, with Norfolk being so close.

4) NC does have two deep water ports however, Morehead City and Wilmington which is being doubled in size.

5) If Georgia's successful port is proof of Georgia reigning supreme in the Southeast, then countless billion dollar industries unique to North Carolina are equally important like:

6) NC's multi-billion dollar tourism industry in its mountains and coastal areas with property owners including Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Al Gore, Linda Lavin, Burt Reynolds...

7) The U.S. Military's past and long-term commitment to NC for its biggest bases. None are ever closed, rather they grow bigger and bigger.

8) The Film and Television industry with Screen Gems studios in Wilmington was flourishing before Tyler Perry was born.

9) RTP is unequivocally the Silicon Valley of the East coast, home to IBM, Cisco, Glaxo Smithkline, SAS, Red Hat, all from local leaders planting a seed back in the 1950's.

10) North Carolina's furniture industry stills plays host for the world's most important furniture show twice a year.

11) Higher education in North Carolina speaks for itself, UNC the nation's 1st public university, Duke Medical School, Wake Forest, NC State's Centennial Campus is nation's largest and most successful public-private partnership leading in solar research, textiles, bio medical, engineering, etc.

12) NC's 80,000 miles of roads and bridgesgetting old and deteriorating because 50-75 years when it was built, Georgia outside of Atlanta proper was wilderness.

13) FOR THE LAST TIME: Georgia is always cited for having the nations' smoothest interstate highways, nothing else.

14) North Carolina is working to provide a 4-lane divided highway within 10 miles distance to 96% of the state's very spread out population. Quite an undertaking, but over the last 20 years NC has completed hundreds of miles of new highways all over the state, not to mention the countless bypasses, alternates, etc.

15) Since 1990 metro Atlanta has doubled in population, and virtually no new roads at all have been built to serve the area. Except the dinky Ga400 connector thorugh Buckhead and Ronald Reagan Parkway. Surburban counties having only Atlanta and 285 to travel anywhere is an ABSOLUTE JOKE. The Northern Arc is so desperately needed for travel in the Northern counties, and an alternative route for the 75/85 Downtown Connector should have been COMPLETED 15 YEARS AGO.

16) Georgia's economy and livelyhood statewide being funnelled through one clogged, over-capacity, "at a crawl" , highway through downtown proves Georgia just recently rose from it's "Hee-Haw" past. No other state would have allowed this negligence for so long. The entire state's future prosperity and success is at stake, and the 75/85 connector has been congested 24/7 for the past 10 years. GDOT had to seek advice from a private consultant just to get the ridiculous 18 mile underground tunnel proposal. Double-decking the downtown connector is the best, easiest, cheapest, solution unless a 2nd loop around atlanta is possible.

Last edited by architect77; 09-27-2010 at 11:49 PM..

Old 09-28-2010, 01:43 PM

468 posts, read 790,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
It saddens me to see someone so desperate and lonely for any kind of interaction with another human being, as evidenced by bold red attempts to spark any sort of debate...

1) I mentioned Savannah's port only because it had been cited previously by someone defending all of Georgia.

2) Georgia's port is a huge success, but the nation's deep water ports were shaped by topography, accessibility of the waterways, and strategic points serving different regions of the country. Georgia is smart in building up it's ports, especially since the Panama Canal is being widened, and Louisiana's ports are falling 3) Comparably sized ports won't ever be needed in North Carolina, with Norfolk being so close.

4) NC does have two deep water ports however, Morehead City and Wilmington which is being doubled in size.

5) If Georgia's successful port is proof of Georgia reigning supreme in the Southeast, then countless billion dollar industries unique to North Carolina are equally important like:

6) NC's multi-billion dollar tourism industry in its mountains and coastal areas with property owners including Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Al Gore, Linda Lavin, Burt Reynolds...

7) The U.S. Military's past and long-term commitment to NC for its biggest bases. None are ever closed, rather they grow bigger and bigger.

8) The Film and Television industry with Screen Gems studios in Wilmington was flourishing before Tyler Perry was born.

9) RTP is unequivocally the Silicon Valley of the East coast, home to IBM, Cisco, Glaxo Smithkline, SAS, Red Hat, all from local leaders planting a seed back in the 1950's.

10) North Carolina's furniture industry stills plays host for the world's most important furniture show twice a year.

11) Higher education in North Carolina speaks for itself, UNC the nation's 1st public university, Duke Medical School, Wake Forest, NC State's Centennial Campus is nation's largest and most successful public-private partnership leading in solar research, textiles, bio medical, engineering, etc.

12) NC's 80,000 miles of roads and bridgesgetting old and deteriorating because 50-75 years when it was built, Georgia outside of Atlanta proper was wilderness.

13) FOR THE LAST TIME: Georgia is always cited for having the nations' smoothest interstate highways, nothing else.

14) North Carolina is working to provide a 4-lane divided highway within 10 miles distance to 96% of the state's very spread out population. Quite an undertaking, but over the last 20 years NC has completed hundreds of miles of new highways all over the state, not to mention the countless bypasses, alternates, etc.

15) Since 1990 metro Atlanta has doubled in population, and virtually no new roads at all have been built to serve the area. Except the dinky Ga400 connector thorugh Buckhead and Ronald Reagan Parkway. Surburban counties having only Atlanta and 285 to travel anywhere is an ABSOLUTE JOKE. The Northern Arc is so desperately needed for travel in the Northern counties, and an alternative route for the 75/85 Downtown Connector should have been COMPLETED 15 YEARS AGO.

16) Georgia's economy and livelyhood statewide being funnelled through one clogged, over-capacity, "at a crawl" , highway through downtown proves Georgia just recently rose from it's "Hee-Haw" past. No other state would have allowed this negligence for so long. The entire state's future prosperity and success is at stake, and the 75/85 connector has been congested 24/7 for the past 10 years. GDOT had to seek advice from a private consultant just to get the ridiculous 18 mile underground tunnel proposal. Double-decking the downtown connector is the best, easiest, cheapest, solution unless a 2nd loop around atlanta is possible.
\

What is all this crap you just posted lol... I thought this thread was about how do Atlantians feel about Charlotte am I missing something here?? Is Interstate and roads the only arguement you have ?

Old 09-28-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
Yes, but that's not germane to the point that I'm making. I'm not out to make Georgia look bad or anything like that, and that seems to be how you're taking it. I'm only saying that NC has purposefully done more to spread the wealth throughout the state than Georgia has. Admitting that doesn't take anything away from Georgia.
Granted NC's wealth of cities and development is spread throughout the state in several different metro areas, but I certainly don't believe that it was done purposefully. The cities of NC developed over hundreds of years into what they are...no one sat down and mapped it all out. The cities of GA developed over hundreds of years into what they are...no one sat down and mapped it all out. Each state is what it is, and I guess there are advantages to the way each is developed. I know you're only responding to comments made about NC, but you can't really believe that anyone "planned" things to turn out they way they did.

I'm not sure what all of the bickering is about as far as what GA has as opposed to what NC has. Isn't the topic concerning how ATL people feel about Charlotte?

Old 09-28-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
\

What is all this crap you just posted lol... I thought this thread was about how do Atlantians feel about Charlotte am I missing something here?? Is Interstate and roads the only arguement you have ?
I know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta