Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 07:30 PM

21 posts, read 18,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Vick was convicted of felonies, and he served his time. Maybe he's not officially diqualified from playing in the NFL, but I hope the NFL teams and owners boycott him. He had everything in the world going for him and because of his cruel actions, he threw it all away. He got what's coming to him and I hope he never plays again.
I don't agree. He should be aloud to play again in the NFL.Do you really expect Al Davis & Jerry Jones to boycott players, are you shore you are a sports fan?

I don't think America hates Vick, seems more like jealousy.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:31 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,350,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
So you think dog fighting is OK? If that's true, I'll just keep my mouth shut and not hurl various insults at you.

I agree with the previous poster and even though I'm a huge sports fan, I'm sick and tired of sports celebrities getting a pass on their illegal and unethical activities, just because they can throw a ball better than most of us can.

Vick was convicted of felonies, and he served his time. Maybe he's not officially diqualified from playing in the NFL, but I hope the NFL teams and owners boycott him. He had everything in the world going for him and because of his cruel actions, he threw it all away. He got what's coming to him and I hope he never plays again.
You say he served his time but he should get a Scarlet Letter b/c he was stupid? He's got this one skill in life, limited opportunity to make a living beyond 30, and you're saying he should be banned b/c he did something immoral? Vick didn't get a pass...he got the book thrown at him more than a lot of people who did the exact same thing. People do immoral and cruel things every day in this world and few are convicted and sentenced to prison time. I'd venture that far more dogs are killed/abused due to poor care at puppy mills trying to make a buck off of America's love of dogs than Vick ever tortured. Dogs are a big business and I'm sure a lot happens behind the scenes that is likely just as inhumane just so we can pay $900 for that cute little puppy. Have you watched how they make dog food from slow race horses? It's not all puppy hugs and kisses when you're talking about the food chain.

People in other cultures eat various animals that we consider taboo every day. We eat cows every day and it's considered a sacred symbol of life to Hindus. Other countries routinely torture animals for sport (Spain's bullfighting) and bullfighters are celebrated there. Vick did violate the NFL's code of conduct and he lost 2yrs of his life and millions of dollars. It's up to them to reinstate him and I for one think he should be allowed to make his case.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:34 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,238,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicMcDigital View Post
I don't agree. He should be aloud to play again in the NFL.Do you really expect Al Davis & Jerry Jones to boycott players, are you shore you are a sports fan?

I don't think America hates Vick, seems more like jealousy.
Jealous? That's funny!
I don't trust people who abuse animals.
They are usually capable of continuing the violence.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:40 PM

80 posts, read 70,802 times
Hopefully when he does come back, The New York Jets pick him up. New York is more expecting and not as close minded about certain issues. Atlanta is in georgia so I guess I should have expected some of these responses. He did his time, he said sorry, he lost him money and his team, and people say he should just rot to death because of an illegal sport? Dog fighting is an illegal sport like rooster fighting is. No different from what the dog pound does.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:44 PM

6,825 posts, read 14,041,292 times
I am neither a Mike Vick fan or hater. I do agree that he needs to leave Atlanta and get a new start. To many bridges have been burned for him to return. I spent 2 1/2 years in prison and lost millions of dollars. Considering what white collar criminals get I say he has paid the price for his stupidity. I do believe the commissoner should have the right to allow him back into the league or ban him for life based on his forthcoming conversation with him. If he is truly remorsefull he should be allowed to play football again. Although I don't condone what he did I don't think he is a threat to society. I don't put what he did in the same sentence as child abuser or murder. I did not get away with what he did. He paid a heavy price than most would for the same offense. He paid his debt so I say let him move on with his life and prove he is a changed person.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:58 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,939 times
How do you compare dog killing to killing human beings? I'm sorry but animals are meant to be our beasts of burden. God intended them just for that purpose, like it or not. People EAT dogs in some countries! I have to wonder if these dog-lovers are just as consistent about animal rights when it comes to killing other animals for consumption, like cows.

Just to sum things up: Leave Vick alone...

Old 05-24-2009, 08:02 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalpatineJones View Post
Hopefully when he does come back, The New York Jets pick him up. New York is more expecting and not as close minded about certain issues. Atlanta is in georgia so I guess I should have expected some of these responses. He did his time, he said sorry, he lost him money and his team, and people say he should just rot to death because of an illegal sport? Dog fighting is an illegal sport like rooster fighting is. No different from what the dog pound does.
Don't forget the abuse of Greyhound Dogs when they can no longer run a good race. I'm still waiting for a criminal indictment of that whole industry...

Old 05-24-2009, 08:02 PM

293 posts, read 1,107,228 times
I would like to see Vick succeed. I mean, I'm not saying that what he did was not wrong, but come on, you have players (such as Ray Lewis and Pac Man Jones) that did harm to HUMANS and are STILL allowed to play in the league, but Michael Vick involved himself in dog-fighting and should be crucified? Hell no! What kind of country do we live in that dog-fighting is the ULTIMATE sin but harming, killing, and paralyzing humans is not? Give the man a break.

Even though I am a die-hard Atlanta fan and I think that Matt Ryan has a promising future with the Falcons, I would like to see Vick get back on his feet. He who is without sin cast the first stone????

And by the way...I find that quarterbacks that actually get RID of the ball have a lower chance of getting injured than those that hold on to it...thus, to me, Matt Ryan's chances of getting injured are very slim because he passes the ball.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:39 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,895,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalpatineJones View Post
So if someone is found guilty, they should never be supported again?
If someone is found guilty of abuse to animals (dog fighting/killing), or using steroids or other performance enhancing drugs, or for that matter, breaking any other law that some pro sports players have done over the years (multi-DUIs, wife/girlfriend beatings, weapons charges, etc) then NO, they should NOT be "supported again" on any professional sports team.

These people make tens of millions of dollars for running with balls, tossing a ball into a hoop, or hitting one with a bat. No one is asking them to cure world hunger or wear a gun and patrol the streets for $30k a year. No one is asking them to walk up mountains to feed children or do any other kind of excessive humanitarian work - they become multi-millionaires for playing games.

It's not too much to ask them to try and not shoot up with illegal drugs, beat their partners, drink and drive, or for that matter to body slam dogs that can't kill other dogs in a ring for bets, when you're catered to like royalty and own 4 mansions and half a dozen sports cars. The fact that a percentage of these guys do these things isn't the sickest part - the sickest part is that AFTER they do them, there are people who still worship them.

Sorry - no dice on my table for these guys. Go back to the regular everyday work force... no more royal treatment after that.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:45 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,678,383 times
I don't know if people hate Michael Vick. I just think the majority of us find his actions despicable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta