Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:23 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Everything you said is what YOU THINK is true. You are not omniscient.
I lived in Brooklyn Heights and taught at NYU. Prior to that I received my PhD at Georgetown University.
During my matriculation I learned the difference between opinion and fact. What you have been stating here is the former.
There is a plethora of authentic Italian dining here. Even my old NYC cronies that visit Atlanta will tell you that. My opinion.
I never said there was NO Italian dining here (and actually, if you read the previous posts I was referring to Delis and bakeries, not restaurants. Quite a difference) what I said is that it is less common, due to a much, MUCH smaller Italian community. I have no idea how this is something that is even arguable. So based on the FACT that there are less ethnic Italians in this area, I'm not sure how it's considered a stretch that this would translate into fewer authentic cuisine options. Good lord
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 09:16 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Does that change anything? No.
Yes it does.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:18 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
I'm sorry if I came across as rude, that wasnt my intention. I was trying to humerous about the treasure hunt thing, it's just my odd sense of guidette humor that can probably come across the wrong way sometimes.

I have plenty of friends, nor did i ever say i had a problem acclimating and as I've mentioned in previous posts, I'm quite aware there aren't many Italians down here, which is why I made the point that it is harder to find authentic italian food here to begin with. And as much as I like living in Atlanta, I would never be "thankful" I don't live up north anymore. It was a pleasure growing up there.

I was just trying to empathize that there really is a big cultural differnce in the food scene between here and northern cities. You're right, there are places to be found here, I was just pointing out that they're just not everywhere like they are up there, like the OP is likely used to. I honestly think anyone who comes from an Italian community like that and then comes here knows what I mean. Apologies.
Mine was simply an observation based on the hoards of people moving South. If it's such a great place to live why have so many people been rushing to get out for decades?

In 2014 you can find most anything in a city the size of Atlanta, so the complaining (yes you were complaining) isn't at all necessary. So you don't have an Italian deli on every corner...I doubt any sane individual would expect such a thing when moving here. Maybe it's time to branch out a bit.

You can easily make a comment without saying offensive things like "people will look at you like you eat babies " or "the food here is nothing compared to up north" or "people's idea of Italian food is pretty much limited to Olive Garden or Carrabbas". That IS bashing the area and is a very immature approach to an otherwise civil discussion - and your comments exhibit a complete lack of understanding about the city. Also, assuming that the rest of us aren't aware of the world outside of Atlanta is nothing short of naïve. You aren't the only that has experienced the Northeast and ethnic neighborhoods.

Like I posted earlier, there are over 1 million Catholics in the Atlanta Archdiocese, so it's not like they are a tiny group that experiences rabid discrimination. I'm pretty sure that the abuse flies both ways between Protestants and Catholics...I have heard just as many (if not more) hateful/degrading comments directed towards Protestants. I personally think that they are both pretty lame.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:34 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,652 times
People just find comfort in what they know. As much as us Yankees don't like to admit it, we know people move down here en masse for the much, much lower cost of living (hello, Taxachusetts) the beautiful weather, and the more relaxed pace of living. I would never buy real estate up north, because companies and their business are flocking here. Hopefully those states that are seeing a decrease in population in their major cities are getting the message. No one can deny this is the place to be. Again, I'm sorry. I really wasn't trying to bash the city.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:22 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
A good rule of thumb is to think before you type.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:10 PM

322 posts, read 465,241 times
Quote:
I never said there was NO Italian dining here (and actually, if you read the previous posts I was referring to Delis and bakeries, not restaurants. Quite a difference) what I said is that it is less common, due to a much, MUCH smaller Italian community. I have no idea how this is something that is even arguable. So based on the FACT that there are less ethnic Italians in this area, I'm not sure how it's considered a stretch that this would translate into fewer authentic cuisine options. Good lord
I think your point was very clear and dead on. While there are a few okay Italian restaurants here, the neighborhood/corner delis that you're referring are non-existent. Some people either just can't read or are too narrow minded to accept anything they perceive to be a knock on Atlanta.

To the OP: You don't want to have to explain "the gays" holding hands to your children. You wouldn't be able to forgive yourself if your kids became Southern Baptist. You do realize there are black people in Atlanta, don't you? And some of them are even gay, Southern Baptist. How are you going to explain that to them? Maybe you should consider another city, please!

Old 06-22-2014, 07:02 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
[quote=NativeJr;35336975]I think your point was very clear and dead on. While there are a few okay Italian restaurants here, the neighborhood/corner delis that you're referring are non-existent. Some people either just can't read or are too narrow minded to accept anything they perceive to be a knock on Atlanta.

I know one! E. 48th St. Deli/Market in Dunwoody is an authentic, NY-style Italian deli. It's also a hotspot at lunchtime. It's a great place to pick up a "pizza kit" for last-minute dinner planning. You get dough, sauce, mozzarella, and meats and put it together at home. Food there is delicious, plus the breads (yum!). Check it out.

Italian Deli, Wines, Grocery & Bakery in Dunwoody, GA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta