Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:56 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Conceited!

Re: West Park. Why is that your pick?
No, confident!

Why West Park?

Well, I think the area needs something simple, yet distinct. And I think the area needs a collective name.

"Park" because I feel the word is underused in Atlanta somewhat in neighborhood naming (Park is better than using "Station" or "Square"...especially when there isn't a station or square anywhere near!). Most importantly, it is right next to a well-known park. Plus, if the powers-that-be were smart, they'd make the West Park area (GWCC, CNN, Philips, etc) a more park-like, pedestrian-friendly atmosphere--with better connectivity, greenery, public art, promenades, plazas, fountains, etc.

"West" because the area is immediately to the west of Centennial Olympic Park and just to the west of downtown's core. Plus, I like the emerging trend of "West" being used in many westside Atlanta neighborhoods--old and new:

West End
West Highlands
West Midtown
West Park
etc.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:10 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Gotcha. Nice defense.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:04 AM

12 posts, read 18,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I don't agree with the name with changing the airport name. It goes to the Airport so the name fits. The new development is nowhere near it.

Same for changing the Dome/GWCC/Philips Arena/Cnn Center stop. I agree, its too long but Centennial Olympic Park is too simple. Then again, with the audio system announcing the surround attractions, I guess, it would work.

I agree with Aries with changing King Memorial to Sweet Auburn. It sounds better.

Nice idea from all of you guys though.
I thought about Sweet Auburn, but isnt that just a street, and isnt it on the other side of the highway? I think Old Fourth Ward/Cabbagetown is a better name.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I do.

Like happyhippy said, they really should be more neighborhood oriented.

It helps with building community and a sense of place.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
One station I would rename is Five Points. I think that one should just be called Atlanta Station, since it is the central one, and the proposed Multi-Modal Passenger Terminal (MMPT) is supposed to be built there for inter-city trains.

Another station I would rename is the Dome/Phillips Arena/GWCC/CNN or (whatever order its in) to Centennial Park, just because it is shorter and simpler.
Five Points is actually one of the better names, IMO. That area has been known as Five Points for as long as Atlanta has been a city. To change that would be totally disregarding history!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I like it!
I have always thought that the naming of Dunwoody and Sandy Springs stations was clumsy...Perimeter Center would obviously be a better name for the current Dunwoody station, and I would rename the Sandy Springs station the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody station as it is about equidistant from the center of both communities.
This a great idea that I didnt even think of!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Not bad suggestions. I agree with most of them, but a few points:

I'm not certain Georgia State Station is named specifically for GSU. It is located inside the state government twin towers, and is directly in between the State Capitol and GSU. Georgia State is dull, but it's good enough all-purpose name. Maybe Georgia-State/Capitol would be better. Georgia State University Station could cause confusion since a significant portion of GSU's campus is much closer to Five Points and Peachtree Center stations.

Avondale Station is not in the city limits of Avondale Estates.

Airport Station should obviously keep it's name, since it's connected to the airport, and there's no Marta bus service, so it goes only to/from the airport. You can't get to Hapeville or the Ford Plant from the Airport Station.
Thanks for the clarifications. I was unaware of this information.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I dunno...Mt Vernon Rd. isn't very well known outside of Sandy Springs and Dunwoody IMO.
I would HAVE to agree! Plus, I dont like MARTA's trend of naming stations after streets.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:11 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhippy View Post
I thought about Sweet Auburn, but isnt that just a street, and isnt it on the other side of the highway? I think Old Fourth Ward/Cabbagetown is a better name.
Sweet Auburn is a district, and has been called that for a long time.
It has at least as much historic significance as either O4W or Cabbagetown.

Sweet Auburn Historic District--Atlanta: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary

Old 04-01-2010, 11:16 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhippy View Post

See LovinD's post above about Sweet Auburn. The main street you are referring to is called Auburn Avenue.

A new station should be built east of the Sweet Auburn Station and the new station should be called the Cabbagetown Station.

There will definitely be an opportunity for an Old Fourth Ward Station (and then some) if the Beltline is ever built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta