Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 09:16 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i think MARTA is the main reason why. underpriveleged teens who don't have cars or parents that can constantly drive them around usually rely on public trans to go hang out
You don't even have to add underprivileged. Taking public transportation is what city kids do. My parents are middle class, but when I turned 16 I didn't get a car, I got a MARTA pass and free reign to go (mostly) where I wanted so long as I got home at a decent hour. Where did I end up? If it wasn't Little 5 or the West End, I was spending a few rolls worth of quarters at the Video Arcade that used to be at Lenox.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:59 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Al, do the Southside kids in Dallas not ride DART to Mockingbird Station, Northpark and the Galleria?

Just curious, because I really have no idea.
i mean, i don't live in dallas so i don't know the transit system well at all. while i'm sure some southside kids might use it, i know that DART currently isn't as efficient as MARTA is. and i do know that in center city dallas you will see more of a mix of races but still mostly white

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
You don't even have to add underprivileged. Taking public transportation is what city kids do. My parents are middle class, but when I turned 16 I didn't get a car, I got a MARTA pass and free reign to go (mostly) where I wanted so long as I got home at a decent hour. Where did I end up? If it wasn't Little 5 or the West End, I was spending a few rolls worth of quarters at the Video Arcade that used to be at Lenox.
i guess what i meant by "underprivileged" is anyone who isn't very wealthy. correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm sure you won't see a whole bunch of buckhead kids on MARTA....or will you?

i mean, i spent much of my childhood in the "city", and i was definitely underprivileged, but we couldn't go anywhere (unless we caught a ride) because there wasn't any efficient public trans. that's my point about atlanta. it's a lot easier to use MARTA than it is to use the transit systems in say houston and dallas. and those are cities too

on the other hand, i know that everybody in atlanta doesn't have easy access to marta

Old 11-04-2010, 10:40 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
i guess what i meant by "underprivileged" is anyone who isn't very wealthy. correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm sure you won't see a whole bunch of buckhead kids on MARTA....or will you?
Well, yeah - you see just about every ethicity we have here on the trains daily. I guess it's just a different dynamic. And it does go to most of the major activity centers ITP, despite what people say.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:03 PM

341 posts, read 762,019 times
Honestly, I do think that Lenox is a little "ghetto" on the weekends. But I went on a Saturday morning and it seemed like a very peaceful, nice, world-class mall. I kind of hate to say it but a lot of the blacks were more of the "thugs" there that looked the opposite of classy with their Nikes, too long tee shirts, and baggy jeans. Why can't they be like the (black) guys that work at my favorite store (Abercrombie & Fitch)? They seem a lot classier, and I'm not afraid of them, haha. Some of the white guys weren't so nice looking either, but I didn't notice them as much. The older (black, about 30 yrs. old) guys were usually very classy looking (in suits) and if more were like them, Lenox would be a lot nicer.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:35 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times
Because teenage punks look like teenage punks no matter they're black (with the sagging) or white (with the skinny jeans and pink hair).

The only difference between a teenager and a 5 year old? They're bigger and have more hair.

Seriously, I think if you're not close to 30 you're a teenager. Kind of. Sort of. Often, but not always. Obviously it's not always true. Maybe never.

But I seem to think it is.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct36 View Post
Honestly, I do think that Lenox is a little "ghetto" on the weekends. But I went on a Saturday morning and it seemed like a very peaceful, nice, world-class mall. I kind of hate to say it but a lot of the blacks were more of the "thugs" there that looked the opposite of classy with their Nikes, too long tee shirts, and baggy jeans. Why can't they be like the (black) guys that work at my favorite store (Abercrombie & Fitch)? They seem a lot classier, and I'm not afraid of them, haha. Some of the white guys weren't so nice looking either, but I didn't notice them as much. The older (black, about 30 yrs. old) guys were usually very classy looking (in suits) and if more were like them, Lenox would be a lot nicer.
that's not very nice. people of ALL ethnicities and backgrounds should be able to wear whatever they want without being judged. and it's quite offensive to say something like "why can't this group of black people be more like the black people I approve of?".....just because they're wearing Nikes and baggy jeans doesn't mean they're trouble makers. it's just fashion

i guarantee you that most of these young black men you're "afraid" of aren't even thinking about you, let alone concerned with doing you any sort of harm

Old 12-01-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Because teenage punks look like teenage punks no matter they're black (with the sagging) or white (with the skinny jeans and pink hair).

The only difference between a teenager and a 5 year old? They're bigger and have more hair.

Seriously, I think if you're not close to 30 you're a teenager. Kind of. Sort of. Often, but not always. Obviously it's not always true. Maybe never.

But I seem to think it is.
and how old are you? and since when are twenty somethings the same thing as teenagers?

Old 12-01-2010, 09:39 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct36 View Post

Do everyone in the global city of Atlanta a favor--stay in Asheville.

You obviously can't handle elswhere...

Old 12-01-2010, 09:40 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times
Quote:
and how old are you?
I'm 36.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:43 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I'm 36.
When giving your age, always add "...and hot." after it.

For example,

"I'm 36 and hot."

In ten years,

"I'm 46...and d@mn hot!"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta