Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 12:34 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,510 posts, read 15,148,374 times

Advertisements

Laney high school has a AP academy coming this school year. AP classes in high school get you prepared for college. Maybe because I'm very familar with Laney Walker compared to you guys. I've seen what it used to look and be like even 1 year ago. The city said they will build on the amount of sales. You're forgetting private developers are building in the area too. Several properties have already been sold...

Last edited by nortonguy; 07-13-2010 at 12:44 PM..

Old 07-13-2010, 12:48 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,701,794 times
I'm not as unfamiliar with Laney Walker as you think, now I don't hang out in the neighborhood all day every day, but I drive through it every once in a while when I'm bored and sightseeing around town, and I really don't see that much, if anything, has changed in the past year, but maybe I missed something.

Also, the first of the houses that the city built apparently haven't sold yet, so if that's any indicator, then it doesn't look all that great. Now don't get me wrong, it hasn't even been very long since they were built, it'll take some time to sell them, especially in this economy, but I just don't foresee a bunch of out-of-towners lining up to buy a $140,000 house in Laney Walker when they can buy one for the same price in Aiken or Columbia County. Just my opinion though. I just don't see the whole 'revitalization' thing happening as fast as some are hoping, and I also don't see it having the level of effects that they are hoping too, again that's just my opinion and I'd be very happy if I was wrong.

As for the Laney High AP thing...they just now are getting AP classes? Did they already have them or no? I thought every high school had AP classes...

Old 07-13-2010, 01:04 PM

Several of the houses have sold in Laney Walker. I don't where you got your information from....

I'm sure Laney offered some AP classes before. But a entire AP academy is coming to the school..

Did you know that Lucy C. Laney Comprehensive High School is the only magnet program that can award you the Advanced Placement Academy (APA) Seal or an Advanced Placement Academy (APA) Seal of Distinction on your high school diploma?

Old 07-13-2010, 01:18 PM

I'm definitely going to have to disagree 110% about LW. TONS of things have changed in the past year... New roads, streelights, homes, etc? Ask the people who live there and see what they have to say.. Take a look at the pictures of Heritage Pine on the previous page. It's a brand new neighborhood in Laney Walker... Another neighborhood is coming to Laney Walker very soon. They're building a new alley to make way for the neighborhood.
Planning & Zoning - Project Search Details

Old 07-13-2010, 01:19 PM

Old 07-13-2010, 03:23 PM

242 posts, read 597,342 times
My dad's personal opinion may be off, but he says anything south of 15th street in downtown isn't a very good place to live (in downtown proper, he likes south Augusta, south of Apple Valley and the west side).

Laney is far from a magnet school (Just IMHO though). The non magnet schools in downtown are all bad according to everyone I've spoken to. I doubt people will flock to Laney Walker just because expensive homes are getting built there.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:40 PM

Laney is getting a AP academy in 2010-2011.. The school didn't have a magnet program until this year. Your opinion saying Laney is far from a magnet school. Is cleary your opinion which is fine but it's not a fact at all..

http://www.ihigh.com/lucylaney/article_19339.html

Last edited by nortonguy; 07-13-2010 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: D

Old 07-13-2010, 03:48 PM

Well people are already moving to Laney Walker... That's why you see so many new housing developments. Everybody is trying to get a piece of land in Laney Walker. Take a look at the pictures I provided on this page. I clearly thinks that's more of your dad's personal opinion. It seems he likes country and suburban living...

Last edited by nortonguy; 07-13-2010 at 04:10 PM..

Old 07-13-2010, 03:49 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,701,794 times
Nort, I'm gonna just say this and leave it, the Board of Ed is using a federal grant to force out half of the teaching staff at Laney and is hiring new teachers in efforts to counteract low student performance.

From the Chronicle "The three schools [Laney, Glenn Hills, and Josey] were chosen after being named among high schools that ranked in the lowest 5 percent statewide in student achievement in the past two years."

Golly Gee! Sounds like a great place to be!

As for their new 'AP Academy', I'm reminded of something Prez Obama said, 'You can put lipstick on a pig...' well, you know the rest

I don't mean to rock the boat nort, just giving my honest opinion, and backing it up with a teeny tiny bit of fact...

Old 07-13-2010, 03:57 PM

Richmond county applied for the grant for Laney, Glenn Hills, and Josey...

I'll just leave at this because the thread is getting off topic... And I don't feel like arguing about it anymore. Alot of people are going by hearsay and live in the suburbs... Which means they're getting the hearsay from other people in the suburbs.. I previously said Laney is similar to Harlem in Columbia County or the failing high schools in Aiken county.. I never said it was a great school to begin with...

Laney has increased their graduation rates and test scores. Every year for the past couple of years... And they're starting a AP academy in 2010, the future is very bright...

Last edited by nortonguy; 07-13-2010 at 04:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area