Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 05:04 PM

36 posts, read 96,474 times

Advertisements

Hi, as the title says. Has anyone moved to Austin using any cross country movers? I am moving from the Chicago area. I'm just trying to figure what movers to use. I know there is North American, Mayflower, United, am I missing anyone? I guess what I'm asking, has anyone used any of them the past 6 months or so? How was your experience? Was your furniture and belongings arrive safely? Ty for anyone who responds in advance.....

Last edited by bcamden914; 06-14-2010 at 05:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 06:41 PM

515 posts, read 1,397,486 times
We used United Van Lines and it was a very positive experience. Nothing was lost, and everything arrived when they said it would. We have damage to one thing, but it was from Ikea, so I chalk it up to the buliders of the furniture - us. It looks like it can be fixed, and I'm not expecting any issues with the claim. They were also wonderful in making suggestions on how to keep the cost down. We did purge a lot of things, which did help reduce the cost and the best part is - it's very freeing. We managed to move from N. CA to Austin for just about 5,000.00. We did most of the packing ourselves, but I did have them pack some art work and all of our kitchen dishes, and china and crystal.

Good luck with your move. Austin is great.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:37 PM

69 posts, read 220,817 times
We are scheduled to move July 7th, from Michigan to Austin (Steiner Ranch). I interviewed mayflower and united. Ended up choosing a small family owned company called Personal Touch Moving- email pt-moving@sbcglobal.net. I have been very happy with their approach and have a lot of confidence they'll do a good job. So far very accommodating.
Be careful putting your phone number into moving websites, I filled out 3 inquiries and got 55 phone calls that week. Actually went with Personal Touch because they emailed me a response and set an appt by email.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:09 PM

Thanks you 2. I'm moving from NW Indiana too northern part of Austin, either cedar park or roundrock area. I'm interviewing North American & Allied Van Lines.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:57 AM

64 posts, read 192,240 times
We are moving from CT to Austin this week and are using United. We interviewed three, United spent way more time looking and measuring our stuff, very thorough. They were in the middle price wise, and then came down to match the lower price. Most important thing...compare apples to apples. We have a few pieces that needed to be crated (marble tops, huge mirrors). Those items were in United original bid, but were going to be added last minute in the others. Who needs those surprises when you're moving, it's stressful enough. You can ask me next week, when the truck unloads in Austin, about surprises on this end, but the guys were very professional, and courteous, and did keep us laughing!

Old 06-15-2010, 05:00 AM

64 posts, read 192,240 times
Also, we did some "purging" before they arrived, but the items were included on the original estimate. It will be interesting to see what the difference is in the estimated weight/actual weight.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:55 AM

307 posts, read 721,994 times
+1 for united. although it was a corporate relocation and we didn't end up interviewing anyone, and I am sure they were paid top dollar, we had a very pleasant experience the entire way.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:51 AM

TY DZ for your input on movers. I'm trying to find one that will guarantee the price they give. What I mean by that is, if I forgot something to add to the list, that the price will not go up? Did any of them or United offer you that? I will give United a call, and TY!

Old 06-15-2010, 09:02 AM

589 posts, read 1,813,393 times
We used movingscamdotcom to aid us in selecting a mover and also to teach us how to avoid scams. Our move was successful and came in a couple dollars below estimate.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:49 AM

Wow, this is some scary stuff. I have been reading reviews on these companies. There sure is alot of bad mixed with good. I guess I'm gonna have to go with my gut!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin