Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 06:31 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times

Advertisements

Italic, a new Italian concept from Drew Curran - he of Top Chef, 24 Diner, Easy Tiger, and Arro. Might be a worthy challenger to Vespaio as the best Italian in town.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:14 AM

677 posts, read 653,386 times
I stopped by the Way South Philly trailer, off of East 6th. I have heard about this and been wanting to try it for some time. I love a good Philly cheesesteak, and have yet to find one here in town (not that I've looked that hard though). People talk about Texadelphia (bleh, average to below average over priced crap to me).

So I came with high hopes for something special. I wasn't disapointed. The price point is a little high for the quantity of food in my opinion. My sandwhich, with tax, was like $11.50-ish, that's with no drink and no sides (there are a couple of slightly cheaper offerings, I ordered the Drago which was 1-1.50 more than most other sandwhiches). That said, that was good quality meat, on good quality bread, expertly cooked. It was delicious. Easily the best I've had in town, probably the best I've had in Texas. Great cheese steak. I'll definately be back ... maybe not as often as if it was a hair cheaper, but I'll definately be back.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:46 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Mann's Smokehouse

This little gem has stayed hidden on the southbound side of 183 near Ohlen(Hidden from me, since it's easy to miss and I don't drive that area very often).
It's an old-style Texas/Southern smokehouse with a new generation of the Mann clan at the pit.
I sampled pulled pork, brisket, spicy sausage and pork rib...darned tasty all!
Fresh iced tea, killer brownie and FREE ICE CREAM on Fridays !!! Yum!

Today's special is pulled pork...my favorite food group! And did I mention a boat-load of made-today side dishes(some actually healthy...not just casserole-this and creamed-that).

Two sticky thumbs UP from me!!!

Interview: Kathleen Mann of Mann’s Smokehouse BBQ : TMBBQ

Old 05-01-2015, 10:14 AM

375 posts, read 319,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Mann's Smokehouse

This little gem has stayed hidden on the southbound side of 183 near Ohlen(Hidden from me, since it's easy to miss and I don't drive that area very often).
It's an old-style Texas/Southern smokehouse with a new generation of the Mann clan at the pit.

Today's special is pulled pork...my favorite food group! And did I mention a boat-load of made-today side dishes(some actually healthy...not just casserole-this and creamed-that).

Heck, I live up here and drive 183 everday and never noticed this place. Will definately check it out!

Old 05-01-2015, 10:20 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tams here View Post
Heck, I live up here and drive 183 everday and never noticed this place. Will definately check it out!
If you like the Tams, you probably like pulled pork.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:25 PM

5,868 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Mmmmmm....Manns. Great article - I never knew the origins of the place, I just know that when you ordered brisket, Jim Mann would look at you and say, "do you want that lean or do you want it with "flavah".

Old 05-16-2015, 09:23 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Mann's Smokehouse

Thanks - will definitely try this place! Driven by it plenty of times, I guess you can't judge a book by it's cover.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:28 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,751 times
Finally made it to HUTS hamburgers today, driven by it hundreds of times. They have boardwalk fries and the burgers are very respectable, especially for the price. I'll be back, plus they have parking.

http://www.hutsfrankandangies.com/extra/hutsmenu.pdf

Hope this place doesn't get bought out or demolished.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:07 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
havent eaten at garbos in awhile, just ate there again. They are in the middle of some suburbs on far north austin (wells branch between mopac and i35.

Awesome lobster rolls and now raw oysters. Their oysters are great, they compare well to clarks and perlas (better to me..)

Just great unique seafood in a strip mall in the middle of nowhere!

This is one of a kind restaurant in the entire city. Their extended family owns a seafood distributor in the northeast so they get their food flown in every day.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:28 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,186,183 times
Default Lambert's

Stuck downtown the other day, I nosed into Lambert's BBQ "Home of the 14 dollar CHOPPED beef sandwich!" I give them an A+ for irony. That is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin