Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 12:20 PM

675 posts, read 1,905,219 times

Advertisements

With all the congestion in Austin, can someone explain, in very basic/ elementary terms, why the light rail that currently exists is viewed as a failure?

Personally speaking, I am not a fan of the location, but I want light rail/ an L-train/ subway to be built in Austin to alleviate traffic, and can't believe Dallas (a more fiscally conservative city) has it while Austin doesn't. I personally wish there was a train that went from the four corners of Austin suburbs (northwest, northeast, southwest, southeast) into downtown. If that isn't the plan it seems ridiculous. I hear talk of having it run from the now vacant Highland Mall to Riverside Drive. Is that the plan? Is so that's stupid.

Also - I have to fully admit that I know virtually nothing about it's current route, as I live in southwest Austin and work downtown, and have never even seen the train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 12:26 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,980,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
With all the congestion in Austin, can someone explain, in very basic/ elementary terms, why the light rail that currently exists is viewed as a failure?

We don't have light rail yet.
We have commuter rail.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:34 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Most people in Dallas don't use the DART rail. I lived there for 25 years and used it once. It's not convenient. We are car people and there will be very little done until people can go without their cars.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:06 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
It's only seen as a failure by some, who have been critics from the outset. Metrorail ridership has exceeded original projections, hours have been expanded due to increased demand, and it gets very heavy use for special events, diverting a large amount of automobile traffic from downtown at those times. It seems pretty successful so far to me. I was a lot better informed on this one when I lived in Austin, but now I'm seeing the same arguments raised around the big Honolulu commuter rail project, and suggestions to use old sugar-train routes for light rail into Hilo, so I try to stay up to date.

Quote:
Personally speaking, I am not a fan of the location, but I want light rail/ an L-train/ subway to be built in Austin to alleviate traffic, and can't believe Dallas (a more fiscally conservative city) has it while Austin doesn't. I personally wish there was a train that went from the four corners of Austin suburbs (northwest, northeast, southwest, southeast) into downtown. If that isn't the plan it seems ridiculous.
The biggest issue in Austin, as everywhere, is obtaining right of way to run the tracks on, a very expensive and often contentious process. What made the first leg faster and more affordable to implement was gaining daytime use of an existing track that was in use for cargo trains at night. Pro: It saved a lot of money and time to get up and running. Con: It required a less than ideal route for passenger traffic, and limits hours of operation.

Next steps being discussed, various possible routes, etc. are speculative, because they would require a referendum to get built, and that would be a tough sell. But solving Austin's already horrendous traffic issues will require a multi-prong solution, and most of it is already overdue.

Quote:
I hear talk of having it run from the now vacant Highland Mall to Riverside Drive. Is that the plan? Is so that's stupid.
There is a station across the street from Highland Mall now, called Highland Station, which is almost exactly at Austin's population center. The property was purchased by Austin Community College to covert into their main campus, and when that conversion is complete the ridership through that station is projected to rise substantially. Also the periphery of that property is slated to be developed into new mixed use buildings, with office, retail, and possibly residential properties. And finally, it means that Highland Mall parking lot can be used as a Park-and-Ride facility.

Quote:
Also - I have to fully admit that I know virtually nothing about it's current route, as I live in southwest Austin and work downtown, and have never even seen the train.
That's because its route is all north of the lake, and the downtown station is 3 or 4 blocks east of Congress... 4th and Trinity IIRC... all of which was dictated by the available right of way.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:39 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:

Personally speaking, I am not a fan of the location, but I want light rail/ an L-train/ subway to be built in Austin to alleviate traffic, and can't believe Dallas (a more fiscally conservative city) has it while Austin doesn't. I personally wish there was a train that went from the four corners of Austin suburbs (northwest, northeast, southwest, southeast) into downtown. If that isn't the plan it seems ridiculous. I hear talk of having it run from the now vacant Highland Mall to Riverside Drive. Is that the plan? Is so that's stupid.

rail never alleviates traffic. Please name one city in the entire world where rail has alleviated traffic?

The value of rail is as a way to attract people that want to ride rail to austin. Im not saying that is a bad reason, just that there will be no significant reduction in traffic due to rail. There is a benefit to the people that want to ride rail for convenience/reduced commute time etc.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:49 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Most people in Dallas don't use the DART rail. I lived there for 25 years and used it once. It's not convenient. We are car people and there will be very little done until people can go without their cars.
It doesn't take "most" people to use light rail for it to take a tremendous load off the roads. And you "car people" who have chosen to live in sprawlburbs should hope and pray more people us "not car people" opt to use other means of transportation - otherwise your commute to and from sprawl gets worse and worse with each new person who moves to the city of Austin at a rate of 110/day.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:51 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
rail never alleviates traffic. Please name one city in the entire world where rail has alleviated traffic?
Ummm... New York City, for starters. More than a million people a day commute into Manhattan a day by public transit, including subway, bus and rail. Only 11% of them travel alone in a car. Shut down rail traffic and the city becomes a brick.

Then there is San Francisco. It can't function on auto traffic alone. And of course London and Paris. And so many more.

Quote:
The value of rail is as a way to attract people that want to ride rail to austin.
Sweeping generalizations like this confuse thinking... If this were true, then why is Metrorail already exceeding ridership projections, with people who already live there?

Here's what puzzles me about the opposition to light rail... all the experts who can't agree on anything else, do agree that Austin cannot build enough highways to solve its traffic congestion problem.

The only thing that can really help is more high capacity mass transit, to reduce the vehicle count moving to and through the core. Light rail is very efficient at doing that, once the heavy startup costs are handled.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:11 PM

110 posts, read 241,710 times
Works out great for me. I live 2 miles from the Howard Station and take it to downtown, east Austin, or Rainey anytime I need to get to those areas on a Friday or Saturday night. 5 bucks round trip. They're nice trains too.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:27 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
It's only seen as a failure by some, who have been critics from the outset. Metrorail ridership has exceeded original projections, hours have been expanded due to increased demand, and it gets very heavy use for special events, diverting a large amount of automobile traffic from downtown at those times. It seems pretty successful so far to me.
I don't know how successful it is. It carries fewer passengers than commuter buses, at a higher per passenger trip cost. What did it accomplish - meaningfully - that commuter buses couldn't? Sexy, cool, trendy, "keeping up with the joneses"? Yes. Improve mobility at the lowest cost? No.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:43 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I don't know how successful it is. It carries fewer passengers than commuter buses, at a higher per passenger trip cost. What did it accomplish - meaningfully - that commuter buses couldn't? Sexy, cool, trendy, "keeping up with the joneses"? Yes. Improve mobility at the lowest cost? No.
A bus is limited by traffic speed, a train isn't.

Compared to highways, rail is a bargain... And that's not even including the cost of the cars and fuel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin