Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 12:26 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,301,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
Providing overnight parking options, access to taxis, and public transportation is however a solution that will greatly reduce incidents of drinking and driving. This would be the city acting responsibly.
That's certainly a perspective. Another is, that is enabling antisocial behavior.

Look, reducing drunk driving is a worthwhile goal. But where does personal responsibility stop, and civic responsibility start? Serious question - not a "gotcha".

Old 04-30-2014, 12:52 PM

2,176 posts, read 3,624,223 times
Quote:
Basically, yes. There needs to be options for these people. Calling them "irresponsible" is not actually a solution. Providing overnight parking options, access to taxis, and public transportation is however a solution that will greatly reduce incidents of drinking and driving. This would be the city acting responsibly.
Perhaps we should pay them not to drive drunk also?

Drunk drivers ARE irresponsible. Is it wrong to call something exactly what it is?

There is an option for 'these people:" Don't put yourself in the position where you feel you have to drive drunk. Nobody HAS to go get drunk on 6th street -- it is a choice.

Don in Austin

Old 04-30-2014, 01:22 PM

615 posts, read 783,898 times
Are you not aware that the City of Austin shuts down an entire portion of the downtown area every weekend for a drunken freefrall? We're here to discuss solutions. There is a drinking and driving problem in Austin, whether you want to acknowledge it or not. And there are lessons to be learned from larger cities.

This isn't just about punishing drunk drivers, it's about protecting innocent people who fall victim to drunk drivers. So, you can choose to bury your head in the sand and say, "Nobody HAS to go get drunk on 6th street -- it is a choice." Or, you can acknowledge the fact that people go downtown to drink and have an adult conversation about the steps the Austin community can take to mitigate the risk of drunk driving accidents.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:38 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,573,660 times
Quote:
Are you not aware that the City of Austin shuts down an entire portion of the downtown area every weekend for a drunken freefrall? We're here to discuss solutions. There is a drinking and driving problem in Austin, whether you want to acknowledge it or not. And there are lessons to be learned from larger cities.

This isn't just about punishing drunk drivers, it's about protecting innocent people who fall victim to drunk drivers. So, you can choose to bury your head in the sand and say, "Nobody HAS to go get drunk on 6th street -- it is a choice." Or, you can acknowledge the fact that people go downtown to drink and have an adult conversation about the steps the Austin community can take to mitigate the risk of drunk driving accidents.
My adult conversation increases the ramifications/consequences of DUI to the levels of other countries - huge fines, bye bye driving. It is a privilege not a right to operate a motor vehicle. The drinking and driving problem should be placed firmly back in the laps of those cretins who commit the acts.

I don't give two craps if the city puts out free kegs and beer bongs. No one is forced to partake. I am not interested in throwing my arms up in resignation because "bad behavior is just going to exist so we should just roll over and put up with it."

Old 04-30-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My adult conversation increases the ramifications/consequences of DUI to the levels of other countries - huge fines, bye bye driving. It is a privilege not a right to operate a motor vehicle. The drinking and driving problem should be placed firmly back in the laps of those cretins who commit the acts.

I don't give two craps if the city puts out free kegs and beer bongs. No one is forced to partake. I am not interested in throwing my arms up in resignation because "bad behavior is just going to exist so we should just roll over and put up with it."
Unfortunately, increasing DUI penalties doesn't do anything to protect innocent people from drunk drivers. And that's what we're talking about here. So, how about you allow others to discuss improvements that can be made to reduce instances of drunk driving.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:24 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,573,660 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, increasing DUI penalties doesn't do anything to protect innocent people from drunk drivers. And that's what we're talking about here. So, how about you allow others to discuss improvements that can be made to reduce instances of drunk driving.
Do some research.
Countries (first world) with harsher laws have up to 66% fewer fatal accidents involving alcohol.

Hard to assign causation, but they are also the same countries I have visited where the local seemed aghast at the idea of DUI, while it is a big joke here and "everybody does it."

Old 04-30-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Do some research.
Countries (first world) with harsher laws have up to 66% fewer fatal accidents involving alcohol.
Nice job picking a completely arbitrary percentage out of the air. I'm not sure how you came up with it, but it's certainly not based on Austin data, which is what we are talking about today.

Last edited by petro; 04-30-2014 at 03:57 PM..

Old 04-30-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Nice job picking a completely arbitrary percentage out of the air. I'm not sure how you came up with it, but it's certainly not based on Austin data, which is what we are talking about today.
It is actually lower than 66%. Texas drunk driving death rate is .718/10,000 people. Germany has strict laws, and their rate is .0731/10,000 people - almost 90% lower.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
It is actually lower than 66%. Texas drunk driving death rate is .718/10,000 people. Germany has strict laws, and their rate is .0731/10,000 people - almost 90% lower.
Germany also has an amazing public transportation system, overnight parking options, and a robust taxi system. I know, because I've lived there. And that is exactly what Austin needs if we are going to reduce instances of drinking and driving. So, thanks for proving my point.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Germany also has an amazing public transportation system, overnight parking options, and a robust taxi system. I know, because I've lived there. And that is exactly what Austin needs if we are going to reduce instances of drinking and driving. So, thanks for proving my point.
I've lived there as well. And while public drunkenness is common, the Germans would NEVER think about climbing behind the wheel of a car drunk. There may be great transportation systems in the cities - not so much in the country. But there is no difference in the attitudes - because the laws are the constant. Trust me on this, because I lived in both.

Didn't prove your point as much as you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: