Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 07:21 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,287,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountryheart View Post
Because they have decent transit systems, DUH. Taxis, night bus service, late subway service, and much more denser housing for *all income levels*. Not just the richest, everyone. I'm assuming you're talking about NW Europe and Canada (as well as other places) here.

For you smug folk, you may as well close all the downtown bars, because I guarantee you that most of the people who drink there - drove there. A woman can become impaired after just two drinks. So should there be a two-drink limit? For the record, I wouldn't and don't drive drunk, but dang, see the options that people in the places I've mentioned have to avoid drink driving as it's called in the UK.
There is an enormous difference in the social construct between at least the US, and Germany (which I know well, having lived there and continuing to do business there). The Germans have a very strict public consensus about the difference between public and private behavior. Public drunkenness is shameful conduct, and by extension so is drunk driving - as their laws reflect. Everybody here wants to point to the externalities as a reason for the lower drunk driving deaths there - they are just as rare in the rural areas where none of those things exist. Because the Germans have no compunction about labeling anti-social behavior as such (heck, even your child's name has to be approved by a government office!).

We have lost the sense of public shame - in no place more so than Austin. Many of the posts here reflect just that. It is always someone else's fault. If that is your approach to life, then fine. The laws will reflect the shared sense of the line between right and wrong - just as they do in Germany. But please don't make the mistake of thinking that the externalities are the cause of their lower drunk driving deaths. It is the shared psyche - not the late night taxis.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:49 AM

440 posts, read 715,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Public drunkenness is shameful conduct, and by extension so is drunk driving - as their laws reflect. Everybody here wants to point to the externalities as a reason for the lower drunk driving deaths there - they are just as rare in the rural areas where none of those things exist. Because the Germans have no compunction about labeling anti-social behavior as such (heck, even your child's name has to be approved by a government office!).

But please don't make the mistake of thinking that the externalities are the cause of their lower drunk driving deaths. It is the shared psyche - not the late night taxis.
I agree - my country of comparison is the Netherlands and the locals (not the drug tourists) share this same disapproval. The worst-behaved people in Amsterdam all speak English with British accents.

Can't help but feel that we're wound so tight here - so stressed, due to not enough vacation time - that our main relief is to get blind drunk. There's simply not this stress level in Europe, either.

Taking a hiking vacation is much more healthy than getting wasted every weekend.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:49 PM

615 posts, read 782,034 times
Nice to see the City of Austin making some great steps in the right direction:

City of Austin announces no more weekend towing from popular downtown parking lot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: