Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 04:50 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,861,443 times

Advertisements

Or how about Ireland, which has 1/3 the DUI fatality rate of the US - and absolutely no taxis, public transport, etc outside of Dublin and Belfast?

While drinking is a big part of the local culture - driving while intoxicated is not. If you are caught DUI, you're truly screwed.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:50 PM

615 posts, read 782,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I've lived there as well. And while public drunkenness is common, the Germans would NEVER think about climbing behind the wheel of a car drunk. There may be great transportation systems in the cities - not so much in the country. But there is no difference in the attitudes - because the laws are the constant. Trust me on this, because I lived in both.

Didn't prove your point as much as you think.
Actually, it does prove my point quite nicely. I'm glad you chose Germany for your example. Although, you could choose any major city with late-night public transportation options and you will find lower instances of drunk driving deaths. That's just a fact.

You're just so married to your opinion that the only solution to drunk driving is punitive, which once again, does nothing to solve the problem of drunk driving. Just like the death penalty does nothing to curtail murder rates.

And I'm going to copy my original post below, because I think it is important. It's also inline with what friends and family of Kelly Noel who died this past weekend are asking of the City of Austin to help address the drinking and driving problem in Austin.

Quote:
1) There are literally zero overnight parking options in DT Austin. By 2am, the tow trucks are lined up and ready to get to work. So, that's one major problem.

2) Another problem is the complete lack to taxis at closing time. If you call, they will not come unless you have a residential address—they will literally laugh at you if you say, "I'm at the intersection of ..." Other than that, it's every man for himself. It once took me over an hour to find a taxi to take an inebriated friend home.

3) No late-night public transportation options.

If Austin wants to address drinking and driving in a meaningful way, they will do something about these three issues.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:01 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,287,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
Although, you could choose any major city with late-night public transportation options and you will find lower instances of drunk driving deaths. That's just a fact.
From the guy that criticized someone for "picking a completely arbitrary percentage out of the air"... Okeeeeeh.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:51 PM

486 posts, read 535,224 times
Quote:
1) There are literally zero overnight parking options in DT Austin. By 2am, the tow trucks are lined up and ready to get to work. So, that's one major problem.
Last time I went downtown I found a private overnight space, it was ridiculously expensive and I got there before "prime time" but to say there are literally 0 is not correct. That options are limited and expensive is certainly true but that's why I try to avoid being downtown in general on weekend nights as I don't find throngs of very drunk tourists to be all that interesting. The cab thing is awful too, I used to live in somewhat walking distance of 6th / downtown and ended up walking home at closing far more often than successfully catching a cab.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:39 PM

15,652 posts, read 10,426,606 times
I went to a rock concert downtown a few months ago and there were very, very many drunk people in the crowd, easily spotted, by the end of the concert. I was concerned about driving home for fear of being hit by one of these people. We saw few police officers and no police cars in the vicinity as we left the parking lot.

I like Petro's suggestions. One can only hope our officials are coming up with solutions like these to protect the public and soon. I think I read recently that Austin has the highest drunk driving traffic fatalities rate in the country!

Last edited by texan2yankee; 05-01-2014 at 08:55 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 05:02 PM

Some progress.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:13 PM

46 posts, read 66,775 times
Quote:

2) Another problem is the complete lack to taxis at closing time. If you call, they will not come unless you have a residential address—they will literally laugh at you if you say, "I'm at the intersection of ..." Other than that, it's every man for himself. It once took me over an hour to find a taxi to take an inebriated friend home.

3) No late-night public transportation options.

If Austin wants to address drinking and driving in a meaningful way, they will do something about these three issues.
Regarding (3), having Cap Metro run their entire route system in the middle of the night is probably too large an expense.

But regarding (2), what's up with the taxi companies? Turning down all that late night 6th St business doesn't sound very smart on their part. Or is there some city ordinance in the way here?

Old 05-09-2014, 09:14 PM

46 posts, read 66,775 times
Looks like there is already one smart entrepreneur in town who is trying to address Petro's issue (2) in a different way. Bravo.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelite View Post
Regarding (3), having Cap Metro run their entire route system in the middle of the night is probably too large an expense.
Really. Besides, doesn't Cap Metro run some routes until 3AM?

Old 05-10-2014, 01:01 AM

440 posts, read 715,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Do some research.
Countries (first world) with harsher laws have up to 66% fewer fatal accidents involving alcohol.

Hard to assign causation, but they are also the same countries I have visited where the local seemed aghast at the idea of DUI, while it is a big joke here and "everybody does it."
Because they have decent transit systems, DUH. Taxis, night bus service, late subway service, and much more denser housing for *all income levels*. Not just the richest, everyone. I'm assuming you're talking about NW Europe and Canada (as well as other places) here.

For you smug folk, you may as well close all the downtown bars, because I guarantee you that most of the people who drink there - drove there. A woman can become impaired after just two drinks. So should there be a two-drink limit? For the record, I wouldn't and don't drive drunk, but dang, see the options that people in the places I've mentioned have to avoid drink driving as it's called in the UK.

I think this is genius:

ScooterMan

Don't know how far a scooter can go safely on wherever they return at 3 am, but hey, worth a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: