Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 10:07 PM

271 posts, read 1,072,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Closest would be Ruidoso, NM (Ski Apache in Ruidoso, New Mexico the best Ruidoso and New Mexico Skiing and Snowboarding). I've driven there a few times, and it's about 10-12 hours total. Fun little town, good ski area when there is snow (usually late in the season, Jan-Feb, is the best snow there)... the drive up to the ski mountain is twisty and steep, and sometimes requires chains, which you can buy in town. The lifts are a little old, and sometimes the service isn't that great at the resort, but overall it's very good. If you are looking for a nice place to stay, the Upper Canyon Inn Upper Canyon Inn and Cabins is nice.
If you are driving 10 hours anyways, why not come up to Monarch, in southern Colorado. great for skiers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 06:34 AM

103 posts, read 322,044 times
As long as we've gone into Colorado....

Why not try Winter Park. It's a great place for kids or singles. Rated high for both. Berthoud Pass used to be a scary winding road, but they've rebuilt it and it is 3 lanes now so even in snow conditions, it's not so bad. It's now owned and being further developed by the same guys that run Copper Mountain and Whistler in Canada. Great food. Great fun. Reasonable prices.

Of course I'm biased. We have a townhome there. I go as much as possible. 16 hours is a minimum drive in good conditions. Long, yes, but worth the drive.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:46 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Quote:
If you are driving 10 hours anyways, why not come up to Monarch, in southern Colorado. great for skiers.
Lol...my boss is from the Monarch Pass area, and he hates it every time another person realizes it exists...he wishes it would stay secret forever .

Old 11-26-2008, 02:04 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times
Colorado seems like about 2 hours too far away...remember 3 kids!

Old 12-01-2008, 02:29 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I agree.....but more important than the extra 2-6 "hours" to Colorado resorts, is the multiple mountain passes....which are not fun to cross in the winter when driving.

I think Monarch, Vail, the Summit area (& virtually all areas except Wolf Creek & Durango) all cross at least 2 passes if driving from Texas. (Raton & one other) Durango (on the other hand) has no passes to cross....but it IS an extra 4 hours from Alb.

Ruidosa might be your best bet if the extra 4 hours to Santa Fe is too much (or the extra 7 hours to Durango). But i hate the 40 min. drive up & back each day to the ski mountain from the town of Ruidosa.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:36 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,873,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Ruidosa might be your best bet if the extra 4 hours to Santa Fe is too much (or the extra 7 hours to Durango). But i hate the 40 min. drive up & back each day to the ski mountain from the town of Ruidosa.
I don't remember it being that long, but I suppose it could be in bad conditions... it's only 12 miles from the town to the ski resort according to google. And only about 4-6 miles are really twisty and steep. I think 20-30 minutes is realistic. I've seen those Ski Apache shuttle buses (basically school buses) blaze up/down the road to the resort very quickly.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:29 PM

271 posts, read 1,072,326 times
Quote:
Well then if that is the case, go find some large hills around the area, and then buy a block of ice at 7-11 for 1.30 or so, and then go 'ice-blocking'. You can even stay in shorts if you want.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:02 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmicck View Post
Well then if that is the case, go find some large hills around the area, and then buy a block of ice at 7-11 for 1.30 or so, and then go 'ice-blocking'. You can even stay in shorts if you want.
Umm.. ok, thanks for the idea. Helpful.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:05 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I don't remember it being that long, but I suppose it could be in bad conditions... it's only 12 miles from the town to the ski resort according to google. And only about 4-6 miles are really twisty and steep. I think 20-30 minutes is realistic. I've seen those Ski Apache shuttle buses (basically school buses) blaze up/down the road to the resort very quickly.
Maybe i'm embellishing the time it took to drive up (& down) as the years go by, atx. But i do remember it was twisty & when snowing.....made for white knuckle driving for this flat-lander. Good to hear they have buses.

To contrast the drive from the town of Ruidoso to the Riudoso ski mountain,..... i remember the drive up to Taos Ski Mtn. (from the town) & to the Santa Fe Ski mountain (from the town) to be relatively straight & quick (& both had much cooler towns).

Old 07-07-2017, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 18,415 times
Quote:
Umm.. ok, thanks for the idea. Helpful.
Thank your making me laugh. This is so hilarious a comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin