Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2007, 06:06 PM

106 posts, read 391,909 times

Advertisements

ogre-i'm 20 and i live in hyde park. i don't drive and although walking isn't that easy around here, biking will get you by just fine. it's a pain when i need to do laundry (most places in our area don't have washer/dryer hookups) but that's about it. a little exercise never killed anyone. i also think if you'll be living close to campus, you'll do well without a car.

That being said, I'll be moving to NYC after this year-lease is over, not because I don't like Austin, but it's just not enough of a city for my likes. It'd be the PERFECT place to settle and raise a family, but for now, I crave a little more action. Do consider the hyde park area, most people are in their early twenties and it's generally a safe place to live. Austin is a beautiful town, but just a town, not so much a "city." It's a really fun experience to live here and the people couldn't be sweeter. A visit is probably wise before moving to any place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 06:08 PM

oh, and also...we have hardwood floors. Being accustomed to the northeast, I wouldn't want to live somewhere that didn't...it just takes a little searching.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:20 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,900,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramones85 View Post
oh, and also...we have hardwood floors. Being accustomed to the northeast, I wouldn't want to live somewhere that didn't...it just takes a little searching.
Yea, Hyde Park is a nice, older established neighborhood with some really beautiful houses. If being really close to the University is the most important thing, that's a nice area to be in, but if you're looking for more interesting stuff to do within a more compact area it's either right downtown or just South over the river on South Congress and South 1st.

Just my opinion though...

BTW, if you're into biking, be sure and get one of the bike route maps. Very useful.

AustinBikeRoutes.com

Old 11-07-2007, 06:34 PM

twange-well, i wouldn't call our house "beautiful" haha...but we do have hardwood! haha. it's definitely a convenient area, but you certainly are right about south congress. i really wanted to live in south congress, but we were totally against apartment complexes and our budget didn't allow much else in that area I love old apartment buildings, but the complexes give me a complex of sorts...too much of a "hotel" feeling maybe?

Old 11-07-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramones85 View Post
twange-well, i wouldn't call our house "beautiful" haha...but we do have hardwood! haha. it's definitely a convenient area, but you certainly are right about south congress. i really wanted to live in south congress, but we were totally against apartment complexes and our budget didn't allow much else in that area I love old apartment buildings, but the complexes give me a complex of sorts...too much of a "hotel" feeling maybe?
I hear ya. We're bummin' on our carpet. It just makes me feel...dirty. All those little dinosaurs and civilizations in there But our deck is great and I must admit, our walk-in closet is bigger than our old bathroom. Very nice!

This is actually the first "complex" I've ever lived in, as I like those old buildings too. Actually, Austin does have some beautiful, artfully designed newer buildings but who the hell can afford those????

We owned a cool 1920s house in Cleveland with hardwood, mouldings, plaster walls, laundry chutes etc...As much as we loved it and miss it, I was a Mr. fix-it slave for 8 years and right now I'm digging my freedom. And all the stuff around here is great...

Trade-offs for now

Old 11-07-2007, 07:23 PM

twange-i totally understand...and hey! a walk-in closet isn't too shabby. i saw some of those artsy buildings when we were apartment searching, but like you said, $2400 a month just isn't a part of our budget Laundry chutes sound lovely, but i totaly get what you mean about always fixing things. Would you believe the apartment i lived in still had a coal stove heater? my dad was always tending to it...although homey and comforting, it's not bad to be worry free. glad to see you and your wife are enjoying austin since we all moved here around the same time!

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 11-08-2007 at 06:46 AM..

Old 11-08-2007, 06:25 AM

231 posts, read 1,142,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Lol...someone forgot to tell me that .

But, really, this town is great for feeling young while your body gets older, or at least that is my experience....
I think it depends on how comfortable you feel hanging with people under 25. I'm good with it, but I think most people over 35 indeed feel a bit out of sorts in Austin per the age thing. As one gal said, most folks in Hyde Park are in their early 20's. There are situations when you are 15-20 years older than everyone around you quite often. On the other hand, many retirees like college towns for the same reason. I think, if you accept the fact that you wont really be hanging out with the kids, or really conversing too much with them, you can thrive on the youthful energy. In my experience, being 45, if you break into conversation with someone under 25 you get a strange look, like you are breaking an unspoken age wall. If you have a spouse, it helps, which I do not. It gets weird many times when I go to events and find everyone 20+ years younger than me. I love Austin, but I wish, everyday, that I was still in my twenties, or came out here years ago. Not enough for me to leave, but I would suggest that singles over 35 very seriously think about relocating out here, as singles over 30 are very rare here.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:49 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
Quote:
as singles over 30 are very rare here.
I guess theoretically they are, but my wife and I managed to find each other well after 30 . I actually found that there was a very active 30-something crowd, especially if you are active in outdoor activities. It seems that those 20-something women don't neceessarily want to settle down quite yet.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:56 AM

418 posts, read 1,735,293 times
Most of the main points have been covered in these posts. But one thing I'd like to add is that, if you're a fan of architecture, it sucks here. Very few unique or historic houses or buildings -- most houses are ranchers, most businesses are cubes, and downtown is, increasingly, generic high rises.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumerian Feast View Post
Most of the main points have been covered in these posts. But one thing I'd like to add is that, if you're a fan of architecture, it sucks here. Very few unique or historic houses or buildings -- most houses are ranchers, most businesses are cubes, and downtown is, increasingly, generic high rises.
I am an architecture fan as well. Coming from the Northeast I understand what you are saying, but there are some really nice craftsman homes here as well as some Victorians. And I never thought I'd say it but there are some fantastic ranches as well. There are also some really lovely old buildings downtown as well. Some of them are tucked away and not obvious as you are driving. And as far as aesthetics go, I personally don't dismiss something off as ugly just because it's new. I think some of those high rises might be good looking when they're done. Everything old was once new I think the city hall looks great and I like what the Palmer is doing. I also like some of the modern houses I've seen around. Some of them are very beautifully designed. I hate all of the strip malls, but I have to say, there seems to be a trend of renovating these old duds and making them into something interesting. There is also quite a green building movement happening here, but it will be modern looking I'm sure. I think Austin's most unique architectural characteristics are its vintage neon signs.

Check out this site:

AIA Austin

The thing I'm missing is the early 20th century mixed use buildings. Austin does have some of those but they aren't common. Where I'm from they are everywhere....mostly vacant though

Most newer cities are like that. Even Toronto as awesome as it is, has a lot of those ugly 1960s cube office buildings. Hopefully as Austin moves forward, it gives a lot of thought to the way the city will look. I don't mind modern as long as it has people in mind...not just some design on someones computer.

BTW, Austin does not have a head architect to oversee design in the city as far as I know. That's pretty lame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin