Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2007, 08:12 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times

Advertisements

Ummmmmmmm..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 08:37 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,614,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
Ummmmmmmm..
LoL. Gotta love my wife.

-Mike

Old 12-11-2007, 09:39 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times
You most certainly do

Old 12-11-2007, 10:45 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,614,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I love Austin, but the dealbreaker for me when I moved back to Texas was the problem I have with allergies in the Austin area. Every time that I go there on business, I come back home stopped up, ill. My wife claims that I start sneezing at exactly the same point on Highway 183 as we drive into Austin. Usually, when I get back to Abilene, I am on steroids and antibiotics trying to get over my trip to Austin. My doctor has tried to give me medications to take before I go to Austin, but they don't keep the allergies from happening. Lots of folks have trouble there--I think is primarily due to the cedar.
I hear you about that. My wife got it bad this year. I get poofy eye'd and sneeze like you mention. I know couple of people that take the allery shot and it helps them greatly. They refuse to leave Austin. I swear.. these Longhorn fans

Old 12-12-2007, 02:44 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,578 times
Oh, boy. I've been trying to ignore the allergy comments, but it is getting clearer and clearer that this is an issue. It will be hard for me to tell what the problem is, however, as I'll be visiting with my smoking sister...

I don't think we have many cedar here so I have no idea if I'm allergic to cedar or not. I seem to be allergic to just about everything else, however...

When is the worst season for allergies in Austin?

Old 12-12-2007, 02:57 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
For general allergy info: http://www.centraltexasallergy.com/

For a chart of the allergy seasons, look at this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...y-seasons.html

I would mention that you are unlikely to have an allergic reaction just visiting, or even during your first year; however, you may develop allergies after that. I am fortunate in that I have lived here over 30 years and am not allergic, so not everyone gets cedar fever.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:09 PM

3 posts, read 8,070 times
Default reasons not to move to Austin

I love it here and can only think of two -- high property and school taxes, and the difficulty of getting around if you don't own a car. I think you'll love it here!

Old 12-14-2007, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 7,698 times
Austin has alot of pot smokers, it seems the hill country is especially loaded with them, also it is very difficult to get a job unless you know someone. They just laid off alot of workers at one of the largest ad agency in Austin. So, you better be in high tech and a pothead. Property taxes are 3% of the value of the home, prices have gone up since the onset of Californians.
MBA who has lived in NY, CO, CA and now thinking Florida, no investment tax, no state tax and 1% property tax.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:02 PM

173 posts, read 459,975 times
Default Here's my personal ten

I really love Austin, I don't know if I'll stay here forever, but for now it's home.
But for myself these are my experiences of ten reasons to hate Austin.

1. Allergies, which get worse and worse.
2. It's hot! Yeah you do sort of adjust to it, but still...it's hot!
3. There's no such thing as taking a walk, it's more like a hike.

4. No black people (I'm black) and when I wanna find some other people like myself...I go look in the mirror.
5. No single men...no matter what they tell you when you meet them. Every man here is currently attached and or gay.
I have dated five guys since I came here and I found out all of them were Married, Involved, had a girlfriend...or was gay.
Two black, both came here from someplace else...both involved with someone else.
Two mexican guys, both had girlfriends
One puerto rican guy, had a girlfriend
(I just gave up and starting dating hispanic men, cause there are no black men here and brown is close enough if that's all I have to choose from)

And I even went to dinner once with a white guy (even though I prefer black men) and he was married.
Every other guy who has flirted with me, was also spoken for.
...So unless I plan to stay single, I will most likely have to go someplace else to meet a man who is actually available.
6. I hate tex-mex and it's everywhere, I hate rudy's barbeque, it's the worse barbeque I have ever eaten in my life, If I want ethnic food I have to cook it myself...so me and my kids eat a lot of home cooked African cuisine.
7. I have to plan my outtings around how close I am gonna be to a fresh water supply, since it's so doggone hot, I have to have a bottle of water on my person at all times...to keep from melting.
8. Fresh water is a relative term in Austin, when I got here, I discovered that the water tastes like what I imagine dirt, grass and algae blended together might taste like...but after about a month of drinking it, you won't even notice that it tastes disgusting anymore.
9. Nothing to do, other than drink and listen to crappy music on sixth street. If You like good music (R&B, Jazz, Blues, Soul) you are outta luck, if you like to have interesting things to do, you are outta luck.
10. I think public transportation could be a little more extensive in a city this size...but hey whatcha gonna do.

Over all I like Austin a lot, but for the above mentioned reasons, I think after a few years, I might need to be moving on to someplace else.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:42 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlee View Post
I really love Austin, I don't know if I'll stay here forever, but for now it's home.
But for myself these are my experiences of ten reasons to hate Austin.

1. Allergies, which get worse and worse.
2. It's hot! Yeah you do sort of adjust to it, but still...it's hot!
3. There's no such thing as taking a walk, it's more like a hike.

4. No black people (I'm black) and when I wanna find some other people like myself...I go look in the mirror.
5. No single men...no matter what they tell you when you meet them. Every man here is currently attached and or gay.
I have dated five guys since I came here and I found out all of them were Married, Involved, had a girlfriend...or was gay.
Two black, both came here from someplace else...both involved with someone else.
Two mexican guys, both had girlfriends
One puerto rican guy, had a girlfriend
(I just gave up and starting dating hispanic men, cause there are no black men here and brown is close enough if that's all I have to choose from)

And I even went to dinner once with a white guy (even though I prefer black men) and he was married.
Every other guy who has flirted with me, was also spoken for.
...So unless I plan to stay single, I will most likely have to go someplace else to meet a man who is actually available.
6. I hate tex-mex and it's everywhere, I hate rudy's barbeque, it's the worse barbeque I have ever eaten in my life, If I want ethnic food I have to cook it myself...so me and my kids eat a lot of home cooked African cuisine.
7. I have to plan my outtings around how close I am gonna be to a fresh water supply, since it's so doggone hot, I have to have a bottle of water on my person at all times...to keep from melting.
8. Fresh water is a relative term in Austin, when I got here, I discovered that the water tastes like what I imagine dirt, grass and algae blended together might taste like...but after about a month of drinking it, you won't even notice that it tastes disgusting anymore.
9. Nothing to do, other than drink and listen to crappy music on sixth street. If You like good music (R&B, Jazz, Blues, Soul) you are outta luck, if you like to have interesting things to do, you are outta luck.
10. I think public transportation could be a little more extensive in a city this size...but hey whatcha gonna do.

Over all I like Austin a lot, but for the above mentioned reasons, I think after a few years, I might need to be moving on to someplace else.
Move to Pflugerville. I moved there because of the black people...Im a white guy, but ironically, the black folks were the only ones who spoke English in the place. Besides, its nice in pflugerville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin