Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,161 times
You mentioned the school system, are they really that bad because I have a 6th grader? Also, how are the jobs in Austin? Aithough you said you would prefer Austin over Florida I didnt get a good feeling while reading what you thought about Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 07:08 PM

16 posts, read 92,300 times
Default PNW vs Hill Country observations

Quote:
We moved to TX (actually live in SA but spend tons of time in Austin) from north Seattle in April 2006, my DH is a Snohomish County native and I lived in the PNW for 21years, so heres my view since moving.

1. It's really downright ugly, (when compared to the PNW)
3. You have to drive everywhere to do anything
4. Because of the heat nobody does much outdoors except after dark
5. Locals get all excited about wild flowers growing along the highway (they actually stop and take family portraits) because there really is nothing else to enjoy about the landscape (when compared to the PNW)
9. The best scenery they have to offer is in the hill country and it really is not impressive (when compared to the PNW)
I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but thought I'd share a little analogy from a friend here in Austin by way of Seattle- orig. from the Rocky Mtns. Clearly, beauty is a completely subjective thing, but the fact that so many people rave about the PNW and the Hill Country suggest that it is highly unlikely that either is truly "downright ugly"- its simply a case of different strokes for different folks.

He compared these very different landscapes to actresses: the PNW is majestic, dramatic, almost intimidating in its beauty. If the PNW were a beautiful actress, it would be an Angelina Jolie or Jennifer Lopez. The Hill Country is more subtle, approachable, and earnestly pretty. If the Hill Country were an actress, it would be your girl next door, like Jennifer Anniston or Julia Roberts.

I understand this opens up a can of worms about actresses & beauty & blah, blah, blah.....all of which isn't really my goal. I just always found this superficial analogy to strangely make sense.

As for needing to drive everywhere, I personally have found that to be more the case for folks I know who do not live near the central core of town- and really, nearly any town the size of Austin or larger. I live in central Austin and can (and do) easily walk or bike to work, leisure, restaurants and shopping on a regular basis.

Finally, I think the "doing" (or not doing) during the hot weather is primarily a function of what climate you were raised in & are likely more tolerant of. I grew up in the south where, from an early age, you learn to buck up and do in the heat because there's no alternative. I lived briefly in London where I just could not adjust to "doing" in the constant rain & sogginess, and likewise, when I lived in the Rockies- the cold paralyzed me from "doing", while those who'd lived there all their lives ran circles around me. To this day, its easier for me to run 5 miles in Austin mid day in July, than 5 miles mid day in Boulder in January or 5 miles mid day any month in London.

No ground breaking or life-altering observations, just my two cents

Old 01-13-2008, 08:01 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehill03 View Post

More than 2 cents my friend! Fun analogy.

We could also use the analogies of food, music, art, fashion, beer, wine, etc...

Beauty is indeed subjective. I think it's very pretty here in Austin. I also think the PNW is pretty. So is Kansas. So is Ohio. So is Colorado. Every state/city has its virtues.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:11 PM

141 posts, read 505,885 times
It's also about what you do with the beauty. We are moving from the Pacifice NW to Austin. I am tired of just looking at the scenery. I am a native Washingtonian but it is way too cold and dreary here for me. The scenery is gorgeous but when I can only get out and enjoy it for three months a year (yes I am THAT much of a wimp) it's not worth it. I live for the rare 90+ days we get here and don't want to spend any more years just biding my time until summer (which you can't count on until July). I will really miss looking at the mountains every day but everything's a tradeoff, right?

Old 01-14-2008, 08:59 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,359 times
Default PAC NW folks should NOT DO AUSTIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ang08 View Post
It's also about what you do with the beauty. We are moving from the Pacifice NW to Austin. I am tired of just looking at the scenery. I am a native Washingtonian but it is way too cold and dreary here for me. The scenery is gorgeous but when I can only get out and enjoy it for three months a year (yes I am THAT much of a wimp) it's not worth it. I live for the rare 90+ days we get here and don't want to spend any more years just biding my time until summer (which you can't count on until July). I will really miss looking at the mountains every day but everything's a tradeoff, right?
The humidity will destroy you, you have no defence against its dark invisable everlasting presence. Personally, I would recommend Arizona for you, lots of sun, dry heat, and Lots of trees in N. Arizona, beautiful desert and palm trees in the southern part. Austin is too flat for you, and you won't be able to understand the freeway system. You will have to become a Long Horn fan. Oh and jus so you know, it rains a ton in Austin. Houston gets more rain than Seattle. I think Austin recived over 60 inches of rain in 2007. One thing we DID like about Austin was the down town area and the price of homes. THose brick homes with a billion sq ft for under 200K were awesome.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:08 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehill03 View Post
I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but thought I'd share a little analogy from a friend here in Austin by way of Seattle- orig. from the Rocky Mtns. Clearly, beauty is a completely subjective thing, but the fact that so many people rave about the PNW and the Hill Country suggest that it is highly unlikely that either is truly "downright ugly"- its simply a case of different strokes for different folks.

He compared these very different landscapes to actresses: the PNW is majestic, dramatic, almost intimidating in its beauty. If the PNW were a beautiful actress, it would be an Angelina Jolie or Jennifer Lopez. The Hill Country is more subtle, approachable, and earnestly pretty. If the Hill Country were an actress, it would be your girl next door, like Jennifer Anniston or Julia Roberts.

I understand this opens up a can of worms about actresses & beauty & blah, blah, blah.....all of which isn't really my goal. I just always found this superficial analogy to strangely make sense.

As for needing to drive everywhere, I personally have found that to be more the case for folks I know who do not live near the central core of town- and really, nearly any town the size of Austin or larger. I live in central Austin and can (and do) easily walk or bike to work, leisure, restaurants and shopping on a regular basis.

Finally, I think the "doing" (or not doing) during the hot weather is primarily a function of what climate you were raised in & are likely more tolerant of. I grew up in the south where, from an early age, you learn to buck up and do in the heat because there's no alternative. I lived briefly in London where I just could not adjust to "doing" in the constant rain & sogginess, and likewise, when I lived in the Rockies- the cold paralyzed me from "doing", while those who'd lived there all their lives ran circles around me. To this day, its easier for me to run 5 miles in Austin mid day in July, than 5 miles mid day in Boulder in January or 5 miles mid day any month in London.

Compareable actress:

Pac NW.....Scarlett johansen

Hill country...Lassie

Old 01-15-2008, 08:41 AM

141 posts, read 505,885 times
I've lived in FL and MUCH prefer humidity to the dry heat of AZ. I don't mind rain - it's the cold that gets to me. I've spent a lot of time in Las Vegas and hate the unrelenting sun. We've visited Austin numerous times and love it. My friend who grew up with me in WA has been in Austin for 7 years and loves it. So we've done our research

Old 01-15-2008, 09:58 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ang08 View Post
I've lived in FL and MUCH prefer humidity to the dry heat of AZ.
You'll be happy to know that Austin feels like the Sahara Desert compared to Florida. I went to Florida (Tampa) last July and thought I was going to absolutely die. I have no idea how in the hell people live there.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:42 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Some interesting factoids:

Average annual rainfall in Austin = 34 inches
Average days of sunshine 300+

Average annual rainfall in Seattle = 37 inches
Average days of sunshine = 139

Austin tends to get its rain in large downpours as opposed to near constant drizzle. This year (2007) was the second wettest on record, so don't use the statistics from last year as an indicator of the norn.

I love the actress analogies!

Old 01-15-2008, 11:44 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
You'll be happy to know that Austin feels like the Sahara Desert compared to Florida. I went to Florida (Tampa) last July and thought I was going to absolutely die. I have no idea how in the hell people live there.
It's nice there between October and April, but after that the humidity just sucks your soul away. My parents have a little place there and my father won't go near it during the summer. But they always end up renting it to some Germans or Brits in the summer. He can't understand what the appeal is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin