Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 07:12 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,781,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
Okay.... I gotta say, those of you who complain about the traffic in Austin must be driving in a different city than I was last week.

The traffic was not a problem at all. Drivers were courteous, even during rush hour. I just don't get it what all of the kvetching is about.
Ok I have been quiet for some time, but I must chime in here for this one. I have found Austin to be a nice place with lots of things to do, but the drivers are the absolute rude and obnoxious of any place in my many travels. Word must have got out that you were coming, either that or austin was doing a Welcome to Austin commercial made for TV that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
Here is a typical rush hour on I-35! But...I have dealt with worse in other cities!
Great pic, I have been to that Ihop in the bottem left.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:47 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,576,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
Okay.... I gotta say, those of you who complain about the traffic in Austin must be driving in a different city than I was last week.

The traffic was not a problem at all. Drivers were courteous, even during rush hour. I just don't get it what all of the kvetching is about.

I agree that traffic isn't as bad as people make it out here in the Austin area, however, last week could be considered light as far as traffic goes. UT was not in session at all (summer classes don't even start until next week). I imagine some other Universities/schools weren't in session either. That's thousands of vehicles that weren't commuting last week and this week. It has easily shaved about 10 to 15 minutes off of my commute the past couple weeks.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:01 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
While I've found the occasional (and predictable, based on time of day and where the bottlenecks are bound to occur, crossing the river at rush hour, for example, when everyone and their dog thinks they have to do so on Mopac) freeway turned into a parking lot, I have to say that I, too, have experienced less of the road rage and rude type driving than one would expect from reading these boards. My daughter has pointed out to me on more than one occasion that if one simply meets the eye of the driver one wishes to merge in front of, 99 times out of a hundred they'll let you in. (Still not as good as when it was a given that if you wanted to turn onto a street from a parking lot into slow and go traffic a driver would inevitably stop and gesture you in, but I do see that fairly regularly, too, these days).

Old 06-07-2008, 05:00 PM

804 posts, read 1,965,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT View Post
I've been in Austin 25 years now, and it is quickly becoming the snottiest, most aggressive, pretentious city on the planet. I HATE it. The Hill Country is beautiful, but nothing like the Pacific Northwest. The people here are rude beyond comparison, with a Texas-size appetite for entitlement and vulgarity. I'm here by necessity, not by choice, and I'd leave in a heartbeat if I could. Austin is nothing like it used to be, and certainly not what people make it out to be.

I have to agree here. Part of what's fueling this is a huge disproportionate influx of people from Dallas in the past couple of years.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:59 PM

746 posts, read 3,728,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
Excellent post. Your concluding remarks above are spot-on. I write this as one of the incessant defenders of that sophomoric "we're cool" BS. It's just another city. I love it, someone else likes it, another person doesn't like it, and someone else hates it. So what?

You really nailed it. As much as I love Austin, I have to agree with you that there is no city more infatuated with itself in the USA, at least none that I know of. Most "great cities" know they are great and don't need to talk about it all the time. It's as if Austin has a collective inferiority complex and feels the adolescent urge to pump itself up.

Right on the money.....just like a hot chick who has to tell everyone she's hot....does it have to be said? Doesn't she take away from her hotness
by selling herself(and they have a name for that too).

Old 06-07-2008, 08:29 PM

the OP of this thread decided that there were at least 10 pretty good reasons not to move to Austin, and now lives in Seattle. Pretty funny I think.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:00 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
On my little day trip to SA, I noticed that the drivers there were not nearly as aggressive and careless as they are in Austin. I never had anyone tailgating, wasn't cut off, etc... but once I was back towards Austin, right around Kyle, I noticed the drivers speed increasing and a lot more aggressiveness. Especially from the 18 wheeler behind me in the middle lane (I was going 75). He was so close that if I had to stop suddenly for any reason, he could not see my tail lights and would have smashed right into us. This didn't happen from the ones in SA (the big rigs).

Old 06-08-2008, 05:52 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,054,525 times
Austin must have the biggest ego I have every seen. I guess the city loves to look in the mirror and kiss itself. That said there is a lot of great places and things to see in Austin but no more than any other major city.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:35 AM

746 posts, read 3,728,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Austin must have the biggest ego I have every seen. I guess the city loves to look in the mirror and kiss itself. That said there is a lot of great places and things to see in Austin but no more than any other major city.
That's my ongoing point on all my posts....yes, Austin has some great, unique areas, but, so does every major city. Austin is possibly the only city that feels that its same percentage of bomemia is more special than every other large city. The vast majority of the Austin metro is as sprawling and bland as any other, with the same franchises, overburdened road structures, and the same cookie C subdivisions. The percentage that is unique, if you can call it that, is no different that any other major metro, yet they give you the impression in Austin that it is a singular situation. Even Houston and DFW have their own special, funky areas, and outside of Texas, the vast majority of cities have quite substantial bohemian districts, from Broad Ripple in Indianapolis, to college park in Orlando, and on and on. The really large metros have huge bohemian districts, from the Village in Manhattan, to Hyde Park and a good swath of the lakefront neighborhoods and inner areas like river north and wicker park in Chicago. San Diego has the Gaslight District, La Jolla, and many other cool little funky areas. San Francisco is essentially one giant bohemian district with a city charter...then you have entire little cities that are one huge bohemian district, like Santa Fe, NM, Key West, Sedona, Az., and so on....In perspective, Austin is not just a typical city, per its bohemian parts, but is in danger of losing those as well as so many new people are moving in, and blanding out what little is left there....In sum, it is quite humorous how Austin seems to think they are unique, in that every city has the same, if not more, bohemian, arty areas..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin