Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 05:21 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times

Advertisements

Who will himself someday be 40. But I guess when that time comes you can trade him in for a younger model (from California as well) J/K!! I think #4 sucks the life right out of Austin. I saw it happen in Houston, and that had little to do with the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 05:32 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Who will himself someday be 40. But I guess when that time comes you can trade him in for a younger model (from California as well) J/K!! I think #4 sucks the life right out of Austin. I saw it happen in Houston, and that had little to do with the suburbs.
You lived in Houston? I don't know what to say ... my condolences?

My little Cally boy is quite something else. He's more of an Austinite than the old dyed-in-the-wool Austinites. Only with a cute little Northern California accent. Adorable. I will love him when he's 100!

Old 12-30-2007, 08:21 PM

49 posts, read 126,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
6. Overrated music scene. Austin is the "Music Capital of the World!" Yeah? No one outside of Austin seems to think so. There is some good music, but there's just as much bad.

8. ACL and SXSW. Two times a year, the city is infested with out of towners who crowd every restaurant and make the driving experience even more of a nightmare. This is the time to LEAVE TOWN.
i agree the music scene is over rated. it sux to be a musician here. i quit because you just can't make any money unless you're bob schneider. but thats true everywhere. the music business in general is just absolutely sucky.

how can you not like sxsw and acl?? 2 weeks a year is too much for you to handle for the reprieve from an over rated music scene?

Old 12-30-2007, 09:50 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elduderino38 View Post
i agree the music scene is over rated. it sux to be a musician here. i quit because you just can't make any money unless you're bob schneider. but thats true everywhere. the music business in general is just absolutely sucky.

how can you not like sxsw and acl?? 2 weeks a year is too much for you to handle for the reprieve from an over rated music scene?
Because I've lived here most of my life and I've seen these festivals morph from a modest home-grown affair to mammoth pain in the ass. My guy showcased this SXSW and I had no idea it had gotten to be so overwrought. You couldn't park anywhere near downtown.

And I'm amazed that Bob Schneider can even support himself. He's not exactly famous, is he?

Old 12-30-2007, 10:40 PM

49 posts, read 126,259 times
Quote:
Because I've lived here most of my life and I've seen these festivals morph from a modest home-grown affair to mammoth pain in the ass. My guy showcased this SXSW and I had no idea it had gotten to be so overwrought. You couldn't park anywhere near downtown.

And I'm amazed that Bob Schneider can even support himself. He's not exactly famous, is he?
the guy plays 2 - 3 shows a week and they are always packed. not an easy feat in any town.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:43 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times
Quote:
I really like Austin, but it does have its downsides. I'm trying to think like someone from the PNW here. Okay, here ya go:

1. The heat. You won't like it. My S.O. is from Humboldt, and he won't even go outside during the day in the summer months. Takes a few years to adapt.
Yes, it's hot...you know, the sunbelt?? It gets so hot it actually stops feeling hot at a certain point...and it's a great excuse to wear as little as possible!
2. The traffic is insane. Everywhere in the city, not just on I-35 or Mopac. Everywhere.
True...and it's just getting worse.

3. This is a big one: Unless you have a desirable skill set or are a successful entrepreneur, it's hard to find a good-paying job in Austin. Salaries have DEFINITELY not kept up with the cost of living.
I don't see that in my business or my dh's.

4. The cool "old Austin" neighborhoods are prohibitively expensive, unless you have three or four roommates and don't mind doubling up on bedrooms. You might end up in the 'burbs, in which case, why move to Austin?
Agreed. There are still some great neighborhoods that aren't out of reach..Allandale is one of my favorites. Not all suburbs are bad, BTW. I like Travis Country, Legend Oaks

5. The suburbs with their hideous, boring McMansions and "meh" schools. Gawd, these BLOW. These suck the life right out of Austin.
The McMansions ANYWHERE are awful. They are especially awful when they take up a whole lot as a teardowns in great old neighborhoods. Die, investors from the West!!

6. Overrated music scene. Austin is the "Music Capital of the World!" Yeah? No one outside of Austin seems to think so. There is some good music, but there's just as much bad.
I'm not a huge fan of the 'Austin Sound', but I do love Austin City Limits; getting tickets to the tapings is the awesome thing!

7. The routine closing of major thoroughfares in downtown for such things as the Pecan Street Festival, ACL, Trail of Lights, etc. As though traffic's not bad enough!
Actually, I love that Austin is a runner's city. Being a runner, it's what I love most about Austin...everyone is outside bike riding, swimming, walking and running. It so great to be able to run a 5k almost any given weekend. Close all the streets! We should all be bike riding, anyway!

8. ACL and SXSW. Two times a year, the city is infested with out of towners who crowd every restaurant and make the driving experience even more of a nightmare. This is the time to LEAVE TOWN.
Actually, our whole family looks forward to ACL every year, and we go as a family. SXSW is fun too. I enjoy them, although it's hard to get into restaurants then...

9. Idiot bikers who pedal on the road at 10 MPH, again, holding up traffic. They make me crazy, and I'm always afraid I'm going to hit one, being that they bike at night with only a couple of reflectors.
woah....that's a hot button. Bicyclists pay taxes too and have a perfect right to use those roads. They're helping you by getting one more car off the street. Most of the bikers I see are pretty zippy...

10. I have to be honest - when I was single and dating, it was hard to meet mature men. I think that the singles in this town are quite a bit behind the bell curve - they all seem to think that they're spring chickens, even when they're pushing 40. It's kinda creepy. I found myself a Cally boy.
Surfer guy?? As long as you're happy. I personally love the endless supply of geeks in Austin...I'm married to one!

Old 12-31-2007, 08:59 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
About the condolences; Thank you! I like some parts of it, but wouldn't really ever move back. And congrats on finding such a great sounding guy

Old 12-31-2007, 09:45 AM

226 posts, read 1,169,272 times
Austin is one of few viable alternatives to sprawl per larger cities. Sure, you always can find peace and quiet in a small town/metro, but not everyone who was born, bred, and still resides in large cities can find lucrative employment that they are used to. Some need that big-city activity as well. This is why Austin is so popular. It has a classier, more intelligent reputation than other cheesier boom cities like Orlando and Las Vegas, not to mention Phoenix. As well, Austin has not been totally ruined YET by sprawl, and has a great inner-core uniqueness to it. The question: How long can this last? The metro area has doubled from 345,000 to close to 700,000 from 1980 to 2000, and the infrastructure of Austin was little prepared to handle it in all ways. Roads are barely sufficient, sprawl is everywhere outside the inner core, and the cost of living has shot up, particularly for housing. In 5 years or less, Austin may have destroyed its unique quality of life beyond switching back. It is already on the verge of this. When the 50th H-E-B breaks ground, and the 400,000 out-of-state license plate gets minted, will we really be able to say tht this is still the same city?

Old 12-31-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern grace View Post
I have lived in the south (deep south) all my life. So, to me, Christians here in Austin seem so liberal. Also, my next door neighbor is Hindu. To me it is fascinating living in a
southern town with such a diverse population. All the different religions and cultures here in Austin certainly has enriched my life. The opportunity to take informal classes is enriching my life.
My husband and I love to dance. We take lessons. There are some of the best dance
studios you can find here in Austin. Great Venues to practice dancind is a real asset.
We enjoy the many opportunities for day trips to small towns settled by German, Swiss and Czech populations.
No we don't have an ocean or mountains. But it is so easy to fly to the Yuchatan for georgeous beaches or fly to your favorite ski resort. Then come back to a town that
in Austin.
I am sorry if you don't get Austin. I have met many people that don't. But those of
us that do enjoy the energy here produced by well, educated people that relish the
old hippie mentality that lingers, small music venues (much cooler than big acts in a large auditorium), a tolerance for different lifestyles (remember I am from the Bible
Belt), some really weird people of which people celebrate their weirdness, some really weird celebrations for people with a sense of humor.
You have to lighten up, read the chronicle and the XL, visit Austin 360.com and just
enjoy. And if you don't like different, how boring life must be for you.

southern grace
why does everything revolve around the chronicle? And how come 90% of the things to do in Austin are in the DT area(this in a city of 700,000+)?

Old 12-31-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ2483 View Post
Do not do it! Austin is very overrated and overpriced! Coming from the PNW the scenery will not compare for one second! Choose a different place! Trust me!

Similar cities, but Austin is only comparable in its inner-core. The other 85% IS so dissimilar it could be anywhere, even Dallas. Portland is Portland almost completely. Much of Austin has gone big-box, especially the new areas. You may end up moving in an area with the ambiance of Seattle's blandest burbs, without the mountains or ocean. If you stick with the inner-core, you should be okay. Just realize that the Austin they crow about is actually a very small crescent of the city. If you are looking for a change of pace, you might love it in Austin. Just realize that most of it is more sprawling and conventional than you think, as they have no building code limits out here, and developers can do what they please, even if that means building malls
and big-box for days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin