Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 10:02 PM

46 posts, read 138,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
I am from Nor. Cal and the thing that bothers me ...
Then comes the 8 months of summer and the one week of winter.
Ice in the environment is best enjoyed in pictures, JMHO!!

Apologies to all the snow bunnies and rabbits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 10:41 PM

46 posts, read 138,590 times
Default I know people in Canada

Who consider tshirt and shorts weather a hinderance from the cooeler weather they prefer. They didn't enjoy a trip to Jamaica very much at all?!?! Takes all kinds, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
I have friends that come visit from Canada who say the same thing.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:35 PM

6 posts, read 12,214 times
Default Been here a year from the Northeast

My bf and I moved here a year ago to escape the cold of the northeast, without truly understanding what we were getting into....

1. Austin is too sunny and hot all the time...didn't realize how important the seasons are to me....80 in November is just not right....and I'd kill for just a few rainy, cloudy summer days...a t-storm would be nice too...

2. No one walks anywhere-you have to get in the car for everything...you never see people on the street, unless you count 6th st or the UT campus...I am sure this is in part due to the heat...

3. Serious lack of culture...no real museums, etc. and the music scene is crap, in my opinion...at least compared to what I am used to....but, I would have realized this had I investigated further (to be fair, it's not truly crap, just not my thing-I guess I am more mainstream)

4. There also seems to be some bitterness towards outsiders...whatever happened to that so-called "southern hospitality?"...I realize that the sudden growth of Austin is causing problems, but this is progress...if you dont like it, do something to change it..don't take it out on people who move here....

5. Shopping is terrible...restaurants are terrible...again, comes back to lack of culture...There isn't much diversity here at all...

Overall, Austin just lacks energy and vibe...you don't truly interact with anyone because everyone is in their cars....

I am sure that for some, Austin is a great place to live...truly depends on what you expect and where you may be coming from...for someone from the Northeast or even the PNW, this may not be the place for you...

My bf and I are going back to the NE asap, having learned that moving to a place on a whim is not a good idea...

I would recommend visiting several times throughout the year so that you can experience what a city is like during all seasons, etc.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:38 PM

6 posts, read 12,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySecretSelf View Post
4. Sounds like a good reason to open ethnic restaurants.
9. I just read an article that said Austin was America's #1 walkable city?!?!

Anyone who has ever traveled the US knows that NYC is the only truly walkable city in this country. Everything that you need can be found within walking distance of your apt in most of the city's HUNDREDS of neighborhoods...

Austin is not walkable by any means

Old 06-29-2008, 04:22 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
This kind of thing:

Anyone who has ever traveled the US knows that NYC is the only truly walkable city in this country. Everything that you need can be found within walking distance of your apt in most of the city's HUNDREDS of neighborhoods...

goes away towards explaining this kind of thing:

There also seems to be some bitterness towards outsiders...whatever happened to that so-called "southern hospitality?"...I realize that the sudden growth of Austin is causing problems, but this is progress...if you dont like it, do something to change it..don't take it out on people who move here....

If someone came into your home and started telling you how much worse it was than theirs, how they should change it to reflect their house, how whatever you were doing was not the right way to do it (I actually had someone from New York City come into my house, brought by my roommate, walk into my kitchen, be introduced to me, and tell me that I was frying chicken wrong) but you should be doing it the way they did it, maybe you'd be a bit less than hospitable, too. On the other hand, those that move here and love it may have a different experience of the city than you do.

Austin is not walkable by any means.

Gee, I didn't know that when I lived in South Austin and walked to the grocery store, to Half Price Books, to the video store, to several restaurants, to Target, to the bank, my daughter walked to school . . . . If I'd just known that Austin is not walkable by any means, I wouldn't have done that, I guess.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:37 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,335,671 times
Quote:
Austin is not walkable by any means.
Darn, wish someone would have told me that before I WALKED home from work this evening.

No, Austin is not NYC by any stretch of the imagination, but saying it is not walkable by any means, is just not true. Maybe where you chose to live was completely unwalkable. The more you try to compare one place to another, the unhappier you will be. You have to learn to love what's great about a place and not dwell on negatives. Trust me, you didn't move to Austin in the first place because everything was perfect about where you moved from.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:17 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
NETransplant, sounds like coming south was your problem. You wouldn't like any of Texas or most cities in the South/Southwest based on your reasons.

1. Heat = All of Texas

2. Lack of walkability = All of Texas (actually, Austin ranks pretty well among the rest of TX in this category, so you'd REALLY hate anywhere else in this state)

3. Museums = You will find more in DFW or Houston, true. Music scene, probably you will not find one as active anywhere in TX.

4. Bitterness towards outsiders = All of TX, perhaps all of the South too. I don't personally see it here, but if you found it it will be much worse anywhere else in TX or the south.

5. Shopping/Diversity. That one you got on us. DFW, Houston, or SA are more diverse. DFW and Houston will have more shopping. The Austin lifestyle has very little to do with shopping, unless it's health or outdoors related. Give us our REI's, Whole Foods, Central Markets, and Sun Harvests and we're happy.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:26 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
I am kind of hoping the gas prices improve walkability (is that realy a word?). Anyway, we walk every weekend to the grocery store with the kid and the radio flyer. Makes a great shopping cart, but you have to make sure not to bury her . Usually walk down to Waterloo for breakfast or dinner once a week, too. The same commercial 'hub' has ice cream, a couple other restaurants, the place my wife gets her hair cut, and about half a dozen other neighborhood 'shops'. We use a stroller to get to daycare when the weather is a bit cooler . Elementary school will be a walk some years from now. A little far to walk but within easy biking distance are two great pools and the public library.

Anyway, I think that more neighborhoods (especially newer ones) will start paying more attention to the 'hub' concept. I think our little business hub is doing wonders for the neighborhood values. We happen to be in one of the 'closer' locations, but the infrastructure is there for the whole area, and the biking lanes are great.

Oh, btw, did you kill anyone yesterday? If so, thanks, I won't turn you in.....we had a great rainstorm last night!

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 06-30-2008 at 02:12 PM..

Old 06-30-2008, 01:58 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Ugh, I've been watering only 1 time a week, and since I'm on the "even" days I made that day the 28th. Then yesterday, the 29th, it rains. Figures! I think that's what caused it.

If you want more rain, I think I can arrange that. I've not washed my car in over a month, so I'm pretty sure it will rain the day or day after I do so.

Also, re: walkability. I lived in NW Hills without a car for awhile, and that is an area there which turns out is very walkable. I could walk to either city or UT shuttle bus routes, 2 groceries (HEB off Far West, or up the hill to Randall's on Mesa), the post office (on Far West), banks, restaurants, NW Hills hardware, parks (Allen Park and the Murchison Middle School track/park). I could bike to downtown via Shoal Creek trail, or I could bike through the neighborhood to an entrance to the Bull Creek Greenbelt and do some great mountain biking trails. I traveled out of town a few times, and getting to the airport required taking a bus from NW Hills to the Northcross transit center, then another bus to the airport. It took about 50 minutes each way, but only cost $1 to get to the airport in total comfort (the buses were not very full). How great is that!

Anyway, just my take on a surprisingly walkable area in Austin.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:25 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Ugh, I've been watering only 1 time a week, and since I'm on the "even" days I made that day the 28th. Then yesterday, the 29th, it rains. Figures! I think that's what caused it.

If you want more rain, I think I can arrange that. I've not washed my car in over a month, so I'm pretty sure it will rain the day or day after I do so.

Also, re: walkability. I lived in NW Hills without a car for awhile, and that is an area there which turns out is very walkable. I could walk to either city or UT shuttle bus routes, 2 groceries (HEB off Far West, or up the hill to Randall's on Mesa), the post office (on Far West), banks, restaurants, NW Hills hardware, parks (Allen Park and the Murchison Middle School track/park). I could bike to downtown via Shoal Creek trail, or I could bike through the neighborhood to an entrance to the Bull Creek Greenbelt and do some great mountain biking trails. I traveled out of town a few times, and getting to the airport required taking a bus from NW Hills to the Northcross transit center, then another bus to the airport. It took about 50 minutes each way, but only cost $1 to get to the airport in total comfort (the buses were not very full). How great is that!

Anyway, just my take on a surprisingly walkable area in Austin.
Yep, that's where we live, and we can walk just about to anything. There are great burger places (WALLY's!), fine dining (Mirabelle's), Mexican (El Chile, El Arroyo), Asian (Chinatown), sandwiches (Subway, Kneaded Pleasures), Coffee (Starbucks..2!!), Pizza (I forget...the one with the dinosaur and Mr. Gattis, I make my own!), anyway...you walk or bike anywhere! NW Hills shout out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin