Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 08:09 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,128,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Odd thing about where I live - people in San Francisco seem to be more friendly than suburbanites. Maybe its from us all being jammed together in a smaller space.
It's true of most big cities in the US. Counterintuitive as it may be to most suburbanites. When you live in a big city you have far more opportunities for social interaction and the kind of people who move to cities or stick around long enough to be adults in them are probably more naturally inclined to be sociable.

Philly has a terrible rep nationally and especially in the northeast for having rude, nasty denizens but people are way more friendly in Philly than in Boston or anywhere in the NYC area. I've lived up and down most of the US east coast (where people are supposed to be less friendly than the rest of the country) and I've never been anywhere with people as aloof as they are here in Brisbane. Even just walking around my own neighborhood, middle of the day, kids in tow, people would sooner cross the street or look at a plane flying 100 miles away than acknowledge your existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 09:44 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,431,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
It's true of most big cities in the US. Counterintuitive as it may be to most suburbanites. When you live in a big city you have far more opportunities for social interaction and the kind of people who move to cities or stick around long enough to be adults in them are probably more naturally inclined to be sociable.

Philly has a terrible rep nationally and especially in the northeast for having rude, nasty denizens but people are way more friendly in Philly than in Boston or anywhere in the NYC area. I've lived up and down most of the US east coast (where people are supposed to be less friendly than the rest of the country) and I've never been anywhere with people as aloof as they are here in Brisbane. Even just walking around my own neighborhood, middle of the day, kids in tow, people would sooner cross the street or look at a plane flying 100 miles away than acknowledge your existence.
Would just walking past you be considered rude?

Old 06-05-2013, 02:19 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
The American Revolution isn't all he's known for. I'm pretty sure the mountain was "discovered" by a Pole who gave it that name.
Quote:
It was named by the Polish explorer Paul Edmund Strzelecki in 1840, in honour of the Polish national hero and hero of the American Revolutionary War General Tadeusz Kościuszko, because of its perceived resemblance to the Kościuszko Mound in Kraków
Mount Kosciuszko - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-06-2013, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Would just walking past you be considered rude?
it depends on the context but in most cases, yes.

If you're in a commercial area or anywhere with a lot of people it's not expected and no one does it . . . unless you see someone you know.

But on a residential street in your own neighborhood then yes, it's considered rude not to acknowledge the person you're walking past. There are definitely people who couldn't be bothered but again, it's considered rude. It could be a quick wave, a head nod, a little eye contact and a smile, a simple "hi". It just depends on the context and whether or not you recognize them from your neighborhood or if you know them reasonably well or if they're just some stranger on the street.

This is more or less the case when I lived in New Jersey, Philly, North Carolina or South Carolina. There are subtle variations. In South Carolina a full of exchange of pleasantries was expected - but then because of the auto-oriented nature of the place it happened a lot less often. In NJ it was a much shorter exchange with age appropriate variations. A head nod and a "yo" would suffice with your younger neighbors. For your elders it was more like "good morning" or "hi" and maybe with a "mr./mrs. so-and-so" if you knew their name.

In Brisbane it almost seems like it's painful for people. I recently compared Brisbanites to New Yorkers in that regard but I don't think it's fare to NY'ers. I think they're more like New Englanders.

Last edited by drive carephilly; 06-06-2013 at 03:32 AM..

Old 06-06-2013, 03:46 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,949 times
Quote:
it depends on the context but in most cases, yes.

If you're in a commercial area or anywhere with a lot of people it's not expected and no one does it . . . unless you see someone you know.

But on a residential street in your own neighborhood then yes, it's considered rude not to acknowledge the person you're walking past. There are definitely people who couldn't be bothered but again, it's considered rude. It could be a quick wave, a head nod, a little eye contact and a smile, a simple "hi". It just depends on the context and whether or not you recognize them from your neighborhood or if you know them reasonably well or if they're just some stranger on the street.

This is more or less the case when I lived in New Jersey, Philly, North Carolina or South Carolina. There are subtle variations. In South Carolina a full of exchange of pleasantries was expected - but then because of the auto-oriented nature of the place it happened a lot less often. In NJ it was a much shorter exchange with age appropriate variations. A head nod and a "yo" would suffice with your younger neighbors. For your elders it was more like "good morning" or "hi" and maybe with a "mr./mrs. so-and-so" if you knew their name.

In Brisbane it almost seems like it's painful for people. I recently compared Brisbanites to New Yorkers in that regard but I don't think it's fare to NY'ers. I think they're more like New Englanders.
Its funny how different people are from place to place. I lived in Canberra for a while, and people were polite if spoken to, but left you with the feeling that you were intruding on their personal space if you did. I now live in regional NSW and its the reverse; if you don't exchange pleasantries with the local service station attendant or newsagent their annoyance is pretty obvious.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:18 AM

I can't believe i spelled "fair" as f-a-r-e in that post. I must have had my last bus trip on the brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Its funny how different people are from place to place. I lived in Canberra for a while, and people were polite if spoken to, but left you with the feeling that you were intruding on their personal space if you did. I now live in regional NSW and its the reverse; if you don't exchange pleasantries with the local service station attendant or newsagent their annoyance is pretty obvious.
You think it's mostly a rural/urban divide in Australia?

I think it's more regional in the US with people from small town southern New England being the worst - and of course they carried their unfriendliness with them as they migrated westward into PA and OH.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:29 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,949 times
Quote:
I can't believe i spelled "fair" as f-a-r-e in that post. I must have had my last bus trip on the brain.

You think it's mostly a rural/urban divide in Australia?

I think it's more regional in the US with people from small town southern New England being the worst - and of course they carried their unfriendliness with them as they migrated westward into PA and OH.
I do see differences between Sydney and Melbourne people, for example, but the rural/city divide seems to me to be the primary factor.

It might be that when people realise that they'll be interacting on a regular basis or over a long period of time, they need or want to establish a level of civility.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,301 times
Can anyone tell me which country is better to immigrate - Canada or Australia ? I'm a Bangladeshi planning to migrate somewhere within the next six months. please help.......

Old 12-12-2014, 04:50 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,225,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
There are some badass Canadian women....America has beautiful ones too...Australia has beautiful kangaroos....
It has been a very long time since last in Oz, but do recall many very attractive, charming ladies in Hobart and Brisbane. Since then, have retained a fondness for Aussie women, and also, how do you say it?, the men are pretty good blokes.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:42 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,582,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Don't like to generalise, but I'm wondering if anyone with experience has noticed trends between these three nationalities. From the limited experience I've had, Canadians seemed more reserved and less aggressive than Americans, friendly in a polite sort of way but it's a bit hard to make friends. Americans seem more out-going, but more highly strung than Aussies, although Americans probably say the Midwest are probably more friendly than Sydneysiders. Americans actually seem a lot more easy going/less prone to getting aggro than Aussies, except maybe those from the Northeastern states. Aussies have a different sense of humour - more about taking the ****, while Americans like to make wise-cracking jokes.
Your leaving out the British and New Zealanders?! haha

But yea I agree, the Canadians seem to be friendly but more reserved than both the Yanks and Aussies... Whereas the Aussies seem to have a better and rudder sense of hummer compared to the Americans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand