Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 09:36 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,118,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
West Australians have definitely got less and less friendly over time. When I'm walking in the fairly affluent middle class suburbs of Melville maybe about 1 in 10 people will say g'day or show any sign of friendliness. I think mostly it's either shyness or wariness. The Aussie lifestyle is highly private; one's life revolves around their castle, their mob and maybe (if they're lucky) their extended mob and work colleagues.

I found alot of friendly Melburnians, actually; they're probably like New Yorkers, kind of brusque but always ready for a chat (some of them). Sydney still feels hostile and impersonal. Every time I go there there seems to be an 'incident': being shoved on the escalator and being told to 'get out of the way!', seeing a German backpacker I was travelling with ask a man for directions and him being told to '**** off!' In over 20 years of living in Perth this very rarely happens.
That is very unfortunate, I haven't seen a tourist dismissed like that before....
being shoved on the escalator, yeah if its peak hour & you dont want to walk up it, stay to the left
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 10:04 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
That is very unfortunate, I haven't seen a tourist dismissed like that before....
being shoved on the escalator, yeah if its peak hour & you dont want to walk up it, stay to the left
I think I was, either way impatience is no excuse to be rude.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:14 PM

I agree.. people get precious about making their trains...

Old 12-09-2010, 10:28 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,959,037 times
Quote:
West Australians have definitely got less and less friendly over time. When I'm walking in the fairly affluent middle class suburbs of Melville maybe about 1 in 10 people will say g'day or show any sign of friendliness. I think mostly it's either shyness or wariness. The Aussie lifestyle is highly private; one's life revolves around their castle, their mob and maybe (if they're lucky) their extended mob and work colleagues.

I found alot of friendly Melburnians, actually; they're probably like New Yorkers, kind of brusque but always ready for a chat (some of them). Sydney still feels hostile and impersonal. Every time I go there there seems to be an 'incident': being shoved on the escalator and being told to 'get out of the way!', seeing a German backpacker I was travelling with ask a man for directions and him being told to '**** off!' In over 20 years of living in Perth this very rarely happens.
You are very correct about the few acknowledgements from the few folk out on the hoof.
Lived in Applecross,in the nineties on coming to Perth,and can tell you was taken aback somewhat by the lack of verbal communication by the affluent folk there.

A dog may have assisted i felt in lubricating the way towards a little social interaction,from what i witnessed,but rather strange how pretenious so many appeared and have a desire to almost hide behind some imagined social position,snobbish and shy.

So not entirely convinced it being a new development although i expect it has become even more wide spread during the course of time.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I think I was, either way impatience is no excuse to be rude.
Or John Howard may well have termed it during his day,A very UnAustralian way to act.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:39 PM

^^ i think the correct version is " un-ostrayin"

Old 12-09-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Pauline couldn't have pronouced it better.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:00 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,814,421 times
Quote:
I thought it was "uhstraylia."
that's what it sounds like when I hear people down under say it.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:02 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I thought it was "uhstraylia."
that's what it sounds like when I hear people down under say it.
The 'A' in Australia is more often pronounced as a 'schwa' (unstressed syllable) in the way one would say the word 'a' unstressed. Like the sentence, 'we are a lucky country.'

I notice many people also say 'Austral-ya' instead of 'Austraylia.'

Old 12-12-2010, 08:05 PM

58 posts, read 99,078 times
Quote:
in my experience I have found those in Perth insular and wary of other people (of course not my Perthling buddies on this site)... just in general, in when I have visited there.

Not so in my experience on the east coast.

I'm one of those people who think of something and smile on the outside, the amount of people smiling back at me (when I zone back in) is quite high.

When I use to go for walks where I grew up, it was very common to say "good afternoon" if you passed someone on the footpath, less so in Sydney .... but I am living in Chatswood at the moment
I have to agree with Ozgal, there are times when I randomly catch someone's eye when I'm out for a walk, more often than not they smile or make some sign of mutual acknowledgment. If my dog is with me, I'll often get some nice comment about him or people stop and actually want to engage in conversation about him.

I also think friendliness levels is a city vs country thing. Where I grew up in the Wimmera region of Victoria, most people would say g'day or acknowledge you in passing, or wave you through at an intersection. It's not so obvert here in the city. Country life, back then any way, seemed a lot more relaxed and easy going, more positive, outgoing attitudes, in comparison. I find it's harder to make friends here and city people are generally more aggressive, for obvious reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand