Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 03:02 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I haven't been to Australia, but your post looks pretty heavy on stereotypes with not much substance underneath, and that's saying something
Yeah the part about Canada being either French Canadian or "British" Canadian made me chuckle...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 09:19 AM

9,533 posts, read 16,525,000 times
I have enjoyed meeting Australians and Canadians when I have travelled. I enjoy meeting Americans also, but I have noticed with many Americans. Religion and Politics many times, creeps into the conversation rather quickly. Much more so than with Australians or Canadians. I have never been comfortable with that, and I would not have mentioned it. If it were not a pattern I have noticed, that seemed to develop thru the years. Many Americans seem polarized with these two topics. Where as Australians and Canadians seem to speak about more general topics. So that is a major difference, that I have noticed in the nationalities mentioned.

I'm a senior citizen now and I'm somewhat at odds with the US Gov't. Actually with me its been building for years. For numerous reasons not just the following. I don't care at all for the way certain segments of seniors are treated in this country. I think they are more respected in Australia and Canada than in the USA, and not put into such a financial burden as in the USA. So I guess I talk about politics also lol.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I have enjoyed meeting Australians and Canadians when I have travelled. I enjoy meeting Americans also, but I have noticed with many Americans. Religion and Politics many times, creeps into the conversation rather quickly. Much more so than with Australians or Canadians. I have never been comfortable with that, and I would not have mentioned it. If it were not a pattern I have noticed, that seemed to develop thru the years. Many Americans seem polarized with these two topics. Where as Australians and Canadians seem to speak about more general topics. So that is a major difference, that I have noticed in the nationalities mentioned.
Religion and Politics - two of the most boring topics of conversation one can become embroiled in lol...

Old 01-04-2015, 06:23 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The latest unemployment figures for each country as follows:

Canada 6.6%
Australia 6.2%
U.S 5.9%

The difference between the 3 is nothing to write home about whatsoever. Canada actually weathered the economic crisis of 2008 very well and was widely credited with having the worlds soundest banking system. The U.S didn't fare too well due to the sub-prime mortgage meltdown but has recovered very nicely in the last two years and is doing very well now.. All three countries are high income 1st world economies.. The U.S has more poor people and it is more in you face simply because there are 315 million people in the country. Don't discount how robust the middle class still is in the U.S...
Take unemployment rates with a grain of salt. Each country calculates differently and people who have give up looking for work aren't usually counted.

Also how many workers in each country are full-time or part-time...another important measure.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:25 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesMcintyre View Post
Americans: They are talk-active, friendly and very loud. It is easy to socialize with Americans and if they have a college degree they are often pretty smart. They have also high morals. They love sports, beer, shopping, cars, movies, junk food, family-life and weapons. United States is pretty much in the gutter with massive unemployment/under-unemployment and a growing debt and their elite spits in their face. Still Americans have a high head and try to make the best of the situation.

Australians: They are lazy and love surfing and smoking weed. Australia is like what South Africa was for white educated people under Apartheid. You move to Australia to live a good life. You don’t have to do much work either. When the rest of the western civilization is in the gutter Australia is still doing pretty well and being far-away from the mess in Europe and United States. It is pretty much only Australia where a college education is worth something and where there are still some kind of wealthy middle class.

Canadians: Can either be French-Canadians or British Canadians. The second are actually more similar to European than Americans. The culture of Canada is somewhat similar to United Kingdom. Canada is financially better than United States but it is also more difficult to become very wealthy.

I like Americans the most and Canadians are pretty nice. Australians are not really my type of people. I don’t get their humor and they are pretty shallow people
I'm gathering you've never been to Canada.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:36 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm gathering you've never been to Canada.
...or Australia....

Old 01-04-2015, 08:33 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Religion and Politics - two of the most boring topics of conversation one can become embroiled in lol...
lol.. I find these types of conversations to be short, unless you know the person well.
In a general conversation, both sides of politics are ****, all religions ... meh, keep it to yourself.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
lol.. I find these types of conversations to be short, unless you know the person well.
In a general conversation, both sides of politics are ****, all religions ... meh, keep it to yourself.
Yeah you have to get to know a person a lot better, this way at least they will forgive you for such boring conversation and balance it with everything else that is actually interesting

Old 01-08-2015, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 7,226 times
Canadians are more like kiwis, in that they are more insulated, judgmental and self-righteous. The first thing every Canadian I have met has made clear to me is that they are not American. Seems that they could have a better sales pitch than leading with identity issues.

Americans can be fun and interesting, and are not afraid to be open and talk. Unfortunately, that tends to rub some other nationalities the wrong way, particularly those from oppressive nations and small-minded countries.

Aussies are self-confident and more like Americans, and generally fun to be around. Unfortunately, the vicious political divisiveness in the US is also a problem in Australia, although not so visible in everyday life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand