Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 08:15 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Just leaving the cutest town I've seen in a while: Durango. Love this place.
Durango is a great area! Many of the locals think the town has been ruined and turned into a playground for rich Texans, because their economy is now mainly tourist and vacation oriented, and there are a lot of "second homes" up there which sit vacant more of the year. It's breathtaking landscape.

If you're just meandering about, take the drive up through the mountains toward Denver, and visit Boulder. It's an all day drive, or two medium drives. Lots to do and see up in that area. The Colorado Forums would be a good place to do some travel research.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 08:53 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Just leaving the cutest town I've seen in a while: Durango. Love this place. Ended up staying another day coz we liked it so much. Did a raft trip yesterday - first time in my life! Awesome! Off to somewhere around the ski mountains - wherever we like it, we'll stop. Maybe Rocky Mtn National Park Friday, as it's opened that day. Only problem, the weather's not supposed to be so great - cloudy mostly, chance of showers and t-storms. Not sure we want to drive through cloud. But we'll see.

Love your country!
Well actually you might end up above the clouds which can be cool. It's happened to me a few times in Colorado.

Independence Pass might be open now which is a beautiful drive out of Aspen. Usually they start running the snow plows through in early May and it should be open by now.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:24 PM

279 posts, read 673,976 times
Quote:
- wherever we like it, we'll stop. Maybe Rocky Mtn National Park Friday, as it's opened that day. Only problem, the weather's not supposed to be so great - cloudy mostly, chance of show
Hey there Vichel. Glad to hear you're having a great time. If you go into the RMNT which entrance will you be at? The east is from Estes Park and the west is from Grand Lake. I live 2 miles from the western entrance......This weekend is Memorial Day long weekend and Grand Lake will be alive....lots to do and great places to eat. I would definately recommend Max & T's.

Last edited by Minx; 05-21-2009 at 10:34 PM..

Old 05-21-2009, 10:25 PM

403 posts, read 1,325,557 times
We really liked the town of Cortez, which isn't far from Durango. It probably doesn't look like much driving through it, but we stayed at a campground there last summer and loved the little town and how friendly everyone was. Did you get to drive the San Juan Skyway Vichel? We were there at the beginning of June last year and managed to get snowed on, so we didn't get the great views we were hoping for. What we could see though was incredible! I can see why they are compared to the Alps.

Just a warning Vichel, I'd avoid Rocky Mtn. National Park this weekend if at all possible! The town of Estes Park is utter mayhem on holiday weekends and will take you forever to get through! If it's the only weekend you can get up there, then bring your patience with you! It shouldn't be as bad if you are going on Friday, but I'm sure the campers will be piling in!

Old 05-21-2009, 11:01 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog905 View Post
We really liked the town of Cortez, which isn't far from Durango. It probably doesn't look like much driving through it, but we stayed at a campground there last summer and loved the little town and how friendly everyone was. Did you get to drive the San Juan Skyway Vichel? We were there at the beginning of June last year and managed to get snowed on, so we didn't get the great views we were hoping for. What we could see though was incredible! I can see why they are compared to the Alps.
Hey Sleddog! Yeah, we thought Cortez wasn't much to look at either, when we drove through it a few days ago. We had planned on going to Mesa Verde but wanted a break from sightseeing and hiking thru National & State Parks by then. We've visited Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef (just drove thru that), Arches, Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point. And we hiked our butts off (lost weight!). Just wanted to veg out for a bit. Durango was perfect for that. Met some friendly locals at the saloon, where we sat and chatted and listened to some great local musician couple of nights (and not at 6000 decibels like in Perth).

Yes, drove the San Juan Skyway just today. Breathtaking. No snow. Just very high cloud. Stopped lots to watch the rushing rivers - that's something we don't have much of in Perth. Our Swan River moves along quite slugglishly. Ouray is so pretty. The Hotel Beaumont there is an amazing example of restoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog905 View Post
Just a warning Vichel, I'd avoid Rocky Mtn. National Park this weekend if at all possible! The town of Estes Park is utter mayhem on holiday weekends and will take you forever to get through! If it's the only weekend you can get up there, then bring your patience with you! It shouldn't be as bad if you are going on Friday, but I'm sure the campers will be piling in!
Thanks sleddog. After looking at the weather reports, we've decided to put RMNP on the list for next time. And there will definitely be a next time. Tomorrow looks too crappy for appreciating the view, which is all we want to do. We'll just hang out in Boulder for the day. Saturday, we're flying to the northeast, and visiting friends and rellies in Toronto and Montreal. Then San Diego for the last week. We're having so much fun.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:35 AM

129 posts, read 555,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhomefan View Post
Dont worry, America is far superior to Europe as a holiday destination and more and more young aussie's are making the switch. And I for one could'nt be happier.

For to long we have been prentending that "Europe" was all about our ancestory. Aussies are more like Americans in every way. Europe has very little to offer besides crap weather, an over-inflated currency, an unhealthy proportion of undesirable immigrants and the big one, France. A bunch of beret wearing homo artists with a bend over backwards attitude towards muslims.

America at least has the balls to stand up to its enemies. It has the intense pride of a nation that flies its flags on every second home. And the freedom and desire to stand up to whats right.

God bless you America, just hope Australia see's how irrelevent Europe really is to us and how important our yankee friends are. I'll bbq a hotdog in the backyard with an American anyday. And to all the whinging, narrow minded, false cricket loving, Kevin Rudd voting prentenders, just remember who helped us during WWII. It wasnt Europe, thats for damned sure!

All you had to say was your a US republican fan .

Old 05-23-2009, 08:38 AM

403 posts, read 1,325,557 times
Quote:
Hey Sleddog! Yeah, we thought Cortez wasn't much to look at either, when we drove through it a few days ago. We had planned on going to Mesa Verde but wanted a break from sightseeing and hiking thru National & State Parks by then. We've visited Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef (just drove thru that), Arches, Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point. And we hiked our butts off (lost weight!). Just wanted to veg out for a bit. Durango was perfect for that. Met some friendly locals at the saloon, where we sat and chatted and listened to some great local musician couple of nights (and not at 6000 decibels like in Perth).

Yes, drove the San Juan Skyway just today. Breathtaking. No snow. Just very high cloud. Stopped lots to watch the rushing rivers - that's something we don't have much of in Perth. Our Swan River moves along quite slugglishly. Ouray is so pretty. The Hotel Beaumont there is an amazing example of restoration.

Thanks sleddog. After looking at the weather reports, we've decided to put RMNP on the list for next time. And there will definitely be a next time. Tomorrow looks too crappy for appreciating the view, which is all we want to do. We'll just hang out in Boulder for the day. Saturday, we're flying to the northeast, and visiting friends and rellies in Toronto and Montreal. Then San Diego for the last week. We're having so much fun.
Sorry to hear you're going to miss out on RMNP! I'm glad you're having a great trip .

Old 05-23-2009, 04:00 PM

159 posts, read 238,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toujoursdan View Post

Violent crime is falling in the U.S. but is still quite high compared to other nations.
Depends on what you go by, if you go by per capita assault, which is the most common form of violent crime in the world, is higher in canada then it is in the US. If you go by murder, which is one of the least common forms of violent crime in north america and europe then the US overall is more "deadly" then canada. However though if you are a white person living in the US your murder rate is around 3 per 100k, which would put the US very close with canada's overall in terms of murder rate, if your black its around 20 per 100k.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:37 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,930,339 times
Hey Vichel, me, jealous much? Yep! You got any pix to share, maybe you could start an Excellent American Adventure thread? Glad you're getting to see the real beauty of that amazing country.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:44 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Hey Vichel, me, jealous much? Yep! You got any pix to share, maybe you could start an Excellent American Adventure thread? Glad you're getting to see the real beauty of that amazing country.
That's a great idea jacq!

Do it Vichel! I'd love to read it and see pics!

Of course you do realize jacq, that the next time you're in New Orleans I'm expecting a detailed thread with pics, AND video, RIGHT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand