Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 05:28 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

AUSTRALIA and Canada dominate the top ten most liveable cities in the world, according to a new index revealed today.

Vancouver, host of the Winter Olympics, topped the latest annual survey by The Economist.

Australia still the best place to live | News.com.au
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 05:34 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,300 times
mini!!!! Adelaide made the list!!!

Old 02-12-2010, 06:25 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,108,380 times
melbourne still top 3 ...the BEST aussie city

Old 02-12-2010, 05:42 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,013,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
mini!!!! Adelaide made the list!!!
Despite what Jacqs may say, Adelaide has actually made the top 10 a few times before.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Despite what Jacqs may say, Adelaide has actually made the top 10 a few times before.
It has?

Nah, I jest.

Just, well you know, don't really think about it as liveable or unliveable maybe it's like Australia's best kept secret or something?

Old 02-12-2010, 05:51 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,013,445 times
Quote:
It has?

Nah, I jest.

Just, well you know, don't really think about it as liveable or unliveable maybe it's like Australia's best kept secret or something?
if you had a good paying job and kiddies it would be a brilliant city to live. traffic isn't horrendous, the seafood and wine are yum and nice beaches. However, I'd rather be a bloody Victorian and live in Melbourne (I can adjust to VB). Adelaide would be my second choice in Oz.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
if you had a good paying job and kiddies it would be a brilliant city to live. traffic isn't horrendous, the seafood and wine are yum and nice beaches. However, I'd rather be a bloody Victorian and live in Melbourne (I can adjust to VB). Adelaide would be my second choice in Oz.
Yeah, I've really got to go and check it out now that I'm old enough to actually remember the place.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:57 PM

656 posts, read 2,742,081 times
1 Canada Vancouver 98.0
2 Austria Vienna 97.9
3 Australia Melbourne 97.5
4 Canada Toronto 97.2
5 Canada Calgary 96.6
6 Finland Helsinki 96.2
7 Australia Sydney 96.1
8 Australia Perth 95.9
9 Australia Adelaide 95.9 1
10 New Zealand Auckland 95.7

The EIU Global liveability survey always makes me laugh
Now I haven't read the 2010 survey in detail as yet
But going on past EIU Global liveability survey's
I bet Melbourne was again rated higher because they have
judged it as having the Best weather out of all the Australian cities
Melbourne 'world's top city' - National - www.theage.com.au
Where's §AB when you need him

Anyhow I'm not knocking Melbourne's weather
I know everyone's has a different opinion in what constitutes as having a great climate. But to clearly judge it as
having the best climate in Australia would have a lot of Australians scratching their heads

This might explain why they put Brisbane down a lowly 21 on the survey ???
Clearly the London based 'The Economist' do not like Hot weather

Old 02-13-2010, 01:41 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,896,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
I bet Melbourne was again rated higher because they have
judged it as having the Best weather out of all the Australian cities
Where's §AB when you need him
Ex-freaking-scuse me?

What kind of a dingleberry made this survey? Holy freaking buffalo crap on a platter of dead rats

To judge melbourne's climate as the best in the nation is just incredibly retarded, I mean honest-freaking-ly, what kind of an asscandle rates Melborune's dreary cold winters and sub-standard summer higher than anywhere else in the country which is warm and sunny with real beach weather and warm balmy summer evenings? OMG

Quote:
Anyhow I'm not knocking Melbourne's weather
You should be though. There is a reason why Melbourne climate is the butt of jokes across the rest of the nation. Although, apparently some poms reckon that a summer 3C warmer than their homeland constitutes an awesome climate. What a mong.

Quote:
I know everyone's has a different opinion in what constitutes as having a great climate. But to clearly judge it as
having the best climate in Australia would have a lot of Australians scratching their heads
This Australian has scratched his scalp off....

Quote:
This might explain why they put Brisbane down a lowly 21 on the survey ???
Clearly the London based 'The Economist' do not like Hot weather
That would explain it.

Quote:
It has?

Nah, I jest.

If Adelaide is Australia's "best kept secret", than the toilet is Sab's castle's "best kept secret" nah just kidding...

Old 02-13-2010, 03:24 AM

656 posts, read 2,742,081 times

'Mr Pandazopoulos said even Melbourne's weather rated better than Sydney's.
"It's a brilliant pat on the back for Melbourne, particularly for two years in a row," he said.
"We already promote ourselves as the world's most liveable city, we can continue doing that."
Mr Pandazopoulos said the award backed Victoria's record as the only Australian state in which international visitor rates grew for the past two years.
He said Melbourne was also a very affordable city, where people got value for money for great products, including top fashion and restaurants.
He said the government would continue to work hard to meet the balance of stimulating a vibrant economy and social standards to ensure Melbourne remained one of the world's best cities.
The London-based EIU assessed the level of hardship for expatriates in the 130 cities, using 12 factors including housing, education, recreational activities, health, climate and terrorism.
Cities were rated one to five in the 12 categories, with one meaning there was no hardship and five indicating extreme hardship.
Melbourne received the perfect one in each category, including its unpredictable weather, to give it an overall score of one.
The other Australian cities were all given a two for climate, while Adelaide also received two for housing, Brisbane and Perth scored two for transport and Sydney for its crime. Port Moresby received five for crime and an overall score of 80.'

§AB, I bet you almost choked when you read^ that!
Just think, you will NOW have to change your City Data Status bar

To 'Melbourne - Worlds Greatest City' .... remember these experts can't be wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand