Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 09:24 PM

279 posts, read 674,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankDownunder View Post
Australia is clearly a better place to live than the USA in many ways
Clearly a better place to live???.........Australia is a good place to live, but to call it "clearly a better place".....I would strongly disagree.

Location within both countries would play a major roll in such a conclusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 12:42 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,025,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx View Post
Clearly a better place to live???.........Australia is a good place to live, but to call it "clearly a better place".....I would strongly disagree.

So true. We all know that one should take these rankings with a grain of salt. There are several different surveys and they weigh different factors and they always come up with different cities on the top 10 list. Even the same organiztion conducting a survey can come up with drastic differences from one year to next. As an example, if you look at the Times Economic Unit surveys of top global universities Uni Adelaide was low 100s one year and the next it was 68! Adelaide as a city was top 10 a few years back, then it moved down and all of a sudden it is back in the top 10. The only change I had seen in that time period was the Glenelg tram now being extended onto North Terrace towards UNISA. And I was not happy the day I went to get a pie floater after a night at the Exeter to find the pie carts were removed; I'd knock points off Adelaide for insensitivity towards a SA heritage icon! LOL.

One's best bet is to find your happy place and to avoid making blanket statements, else one comes across with a chip on one's shoulder or worse.. someone with a roo lost in their top paddock.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:56 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,731,183 times
Any place in the top dozen or so places would be pretty good for the most part, imo. The scores so close at that point as to make little real difference.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
And I was not happy the day I went to get a pie floater after a night at the Exeter to find the pie carts were removed; I'd knock points off Adelaide for insensitivity towards a SA heritage icon! LOL.
OMG....that brings back such good memories. We always went to the pie cart on North Terrace in front of the train station for a pie floater after a night out on the town.....which was usually about 3am. I was a young buck in those days...

I was sooooo p*$$** off the day it wasn't there........and then....

Old 02-28-2010, 01:02 AM

Hey Minx! I'm thinking you've probably got lots of snow around your place .... lucky you!!! We're roasting here in Perth and I'm really not liking it.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Hey Minx! I'm thinking you've probably got lots of snow around your place .... lucky you!!! We're roasting here in Perth and I'm really not liking it.
Today is not a good day to talk about snow.....I had to walk half a mile through knee deep snow because someone forgot to plow their drive way, and spent 3 hours shoveling decks....and when I got home my wife said "want to go snowmobiling tonight?" (it was the annual moonlight ride tonight). I just crashed on the sofa and fell asleep....lol....

Old 02-28-2010, 01:22 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,025,900 times
Quote:
Today is not a good day to talk about snow.....I had to walk half a mile through knee deep snow because someone forgot to plow their drive way, and spent 3 hours shoveling decks....and when I got home my wife said "want to go snowmobiling tonight?" (it was the annual moonlight ride tonight). I just crashed on the sofa and fell asleep....lol....
minx.. next time you are home, the 24 hour bakery on O'Connell in north Adelaide always has pie floaters.. yum... Do you miss Farmers Union Ice Coffee? Gelato at Cibo's? And the list could go on..

And here in southern NH seacoast.. no snow. We have grass. NYc had 21 inches of power in the last 2 days. We had 2 storms this year then warm temps. I just bought snow shoes and they are collecting dust. Who knew I'd have to go SOUTH for snow? And NYC of all places!

Old 02-28-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot about that part .... the dreaded shoveling!!

But the way it's been lately here (heatwave), I'd still gladly do some snow shoveling instead of this. It'd be okay if I had time to just loll about at the beach or in the pool, but we're busy fixing things around the house. Even with aircon, you still feel the heat. It just radiates inwards through the single-paned windows and the walls.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:43 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
Today was only slightly more merciful than the last few days. A bonafide heatwave. Was out at the Writer's festival at UWA, quite enjoyable.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:28 AM

52 posts, read 50,388 times
Quote:

The US sucks, I just went there and me and my fiancee had a horrible time. I have a much better feeling about Australia's next 20 years than I do about America's. I am from California, which was once a kind of paradise that turned into an overdeveloped and polluted hell hole. America is better if you are Rupert Murdoch or someone wealthy LOL. Murdoch dropped his Aussie citizenship and lives in the US. Paul Hogan also lives in the US because he cheated the ATO out of the millions he made in Hollywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand