Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:13 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,025,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Any place in the top dozen or so places would be pretty good for the most part, imo. The scores so close at that point as to make little real difference.
I gasped when I saw Toronto on the list. If one were to add the number of smog alerts in the summer, nasty traffic jams and high unemployment on the criteria for judging best places to live, Im sure Toronto would drop down. In Ontario, I'd take Kingson or Ottawa. I love Kingston. Actually add Niagara on the Lake -- thats my other favorite place in Ontario. If cost of living were ranked highly, then Sydney and most cities in Oz would fall from the list:
http://dreamcityhomes.com/insight/20...-in-the-world/

to quote: Among the major markets, Vancouver is the least affordable, with a Median Multiple of 9.3, followed by Sydney (9.1), Melbourne (8.0), Adelaide (7.4), London (7.1), New York (7.0) and San Francisco (7.0). I'm shocked Perth is not on the list but Adelaide made it.

Last edited by minibrings; 02-28-2010 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 11:55 AM

279 posts, read 674,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankDownunder View Post
The US sucks, I just went there and me and my fiancee had a horrible time. I have a much better feeling about Australia's next 20 years than I do about America's. I am from California
Well....there's your problem right there....you're a Californian.......where did you go to have such a horrible time?
I must say California would be the last place I would want to live, although there are some very nice places down south and up north. I wouldn't want to live in any large city. I'm 3 hours drive northwest of Denver and the population of the town I live in is 500. I'd walk down the board walk and say "hi" to just about everyone. It's the small friendly community where everyone knows each other and would help you at a drop of a hat that I like. My wife and I are looking at a 2nd home in Metaline Falls, which is in the north east of Washington State (10 miles to the Canadian border), with a river frontage. Something different for the summer months. A small dinghy on the rivers edge to go out and do some fishing....now that's heaven on earth for me...
I would die if I had to live in large populated places (or cities).

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
minx.. next time you are home, the 24 hour bakery on O'Connell in north Adelaide always has pie floaters.. yum... Do you miss Farmers Union Ice Coffee? Gelato at Cibo's? And the list could go on..

And here in southern NH seacoast.. no snow. We have grass. NYc had 21 inches of power in the last 2 days. We had 2 storms this year then warm temps. I just bought snow shoes and they are collecting dust. Who knew I'd have to go SOUTH for snow? And NYC of all places!
I didn't know about the 24 hour bakery on O'Connell Street....pie floaters, yum. And I do miss Farmers Union, but especailly Balfours pies and Kitchener buns...what I'd do to have some of them.

I have been watching the east coast weather, you guys have got a beating....but you have grass.......I haven't seen grass since October and wont see it until late May. As I was walking the half mile in knee deep snow yesterday I would have given my right arm for your snow shoes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot about that part .... the dreaded shoveling!!

But the way it's been lately here (heatwave), I'd still gladly do some snow shoveling instead of this. It'd be okay if I had time to just loll about at the beach or in the pool, but we're busy fixing things around the house. Even with aircon, you still feel the heat. It just radiates inwards through the single-paned windows and the walls.
Fixing things???....if you were honest the only thing you were fixing yourself was a pina colada to sip on while reclining on your pool mattress in your pool...

Old 02-28-2010, 12:04 PM

52 posts, read 50,388 times
I have been to Colorado, no thanks, the US as a whole has gone sharply downhill. California when I grew up used to be a nice place now its polluted and overcrowded, even San Francisco has went to the dogs, I was there last week and noticed a rancid odor in the air. The vast majority of Aussies have a hard time believing the US is a nice place for ordinary folks. I lived in Australia for seven years, and the first year was a big shock because I thought Aussies admired the USA, some do but many do not, and its a well known among the few Americans here that Australians are largely not so easily impressed with America. Living in Australia and seeing what if offers has changed my view of America substantially. Not everyone in Oz wants to be a famous celebrity, that is a bunch of bunk, most people work for a living and are looking for a normal life.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx View Post
Well....there's your problem right there....you're a Californian.......where did you go to have such a horrible time?
I must say California would be the last place I would want to live, although there are some very nice places down south and up north.
Aren't Californians sort of like the New Yorkers of the west oh yeah I used to be a Californian.. but I was never that opinionated nor was I prone to threatening people with violence.

Quote:
I didn't know about the 24 hour bakery on O'Connell Street....pie floaters, yum. And I do miss Farmers Union, but especailly Balfours pies and Kitchener buns...what I'd do to have some of them.
I lived in north Adelaide so I miss that bakery as well as Sunday bruncn Melbourne street and trips to McClaren Vale.

Quote:
I have been watching the east coast weather, you guys have got a beating....but you have grass.......I haven't seen grass since October and wont see it until late May. As I was walking the half mile in knee deep snow yesterday I would have given my right arm for your snow shoes...
We did have 91 mph winds that knocked out power to my flat for 2 days (and my Beta fish got cold - he glared at me). Feel free to come on by and pick em up! Its no use with grass and no snow. We did have 1-2 inches last night then rain came and its all gone again.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:25 PM

If you compare the US during the mid to late 1990s to today and the Bush era years, there is little ambiguity, the quality of life for the average American is down sharply. I hear things from Americans I thought I would never hear if you knew me 15 years ago. Obama was elected to bring "change" and so far its more of the same from him, no wonder his approval rating dropped over 25 percentage points in one year.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:49 PM

I guess its like what kiwis like to say.. when a kiwi moves to Oz the IQ rate at both countries go up.. I think the effect of a Californian moving to Oz is amplified for both places.

Again if affordability was a larger factor I think Oz would drop down that list. And so for that matter, would Vancouver.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I have been to Colorado, no thanks
Each to their own...

Quote:
Not everyone in Oz wants to be a famous celebrity, that is a bunch of bunk, most people work for a living and are looking for a normal life.
I really don't understand where you're coming from... Who said anything about wanting to be wealthy, rich or famous? I certainly did not in my posts. I was simply saying how I like the serenity of living in a remote, small, mountain environment. I lived in Australia for 40 years and still love the place, but decided it was time to experience that "serenity". I love (as you put it) my "normal life", and have no desire to be famous.

The conclusion I draw from this is we agree to disagree...

Old 02-28-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I lived in north Adelaide so I miss that bakery as well as Sunday bruncn Melbourne street and trips to McClaren Vale.

We did have 91 mph winds that knocked out power to my flat for 2 days (and my Beta fish got cold - he glared at me). Feel free to come on by and pick em up! Its no use with grass and no snow. We did have 1-2 inches last night then rain came and its all gone again.
North Adelaide?...no kidding.......me too. I lived on Lefevre Terrace. Used to walk round the corner, down Tynte Street to O'Connell Street. There are some really nice, small and old pubs around there with a lot of history. You could count on me being in one of them a couple of nights a week....

Tomorrow I get to escape the snow....going to Denver for 2 days and actually looking forward to it. Sometimes I even amaze myself !!!!

Old 02-28-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Each to their own...

I really don't understand where you're coming from... Who said anything about wanting to be wealthy, rich or famous? I certainly did not in my posts. I was simply saying how I like the serenity of living in a remote, small, mountain environment. I lived in Australia for 40 years and still love the place, but decided it was time to experience that "serenity". I love (as you put it) my "normal life", and have no desire to be famous.

The conclusion I draw from this is we agree to disagree...

I don't want to be rich, but the very wealthy largely run the agenda of today's America, look at the current situation, the wealth are recovering from the economic crisis but the middle class is being left behind. The government is spending hand over fist, neither party has competent leaders. People HATED Bush, and now Obama's luster has faded because the bleak reality that the US now faces.

Even in the quality of life index, Australia is now much higher than the US, the US used to always be in the top three a couple of decades ago, now out of the top 10.

I like beaches, sun, and warm weather, Colorado is cold, and California is now overdeveloped and the state is bankrupt. I hear some bad rumors about San Francisco going broke, probably one of the most affluent cities in America might become another Detroit, that does not sound good. A lot of my old friends are talking about the economic crisis in California, unemployment is well above the US average, its the richest state in the union for crying out loud.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:43 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,866,273 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand