Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 04:02 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,351,936 times

Advertisements

Kidding right? There's by far much better places to live in than "Austrya". It's so expenisve here, pay ridiculously high prices for housing, food, clothes and technological items etc. Which's why I always buy the aforementioned during my US holidays as its much cheaper there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 01:01 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,121,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Kidding right? There's by far much better places to live in than "Austrya". It's so expenisve here, pay ridiculously high prices for housing, food, clothes and technological items etc. Which's why I always buy the aforementioned during my US holidays as its much cheaper there.
like where?

Old 08-19-2010, 04:48 AM

790 posts, read 1,733,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
like where?
Finland
Quote:
FINLAND, the most sparsely populated country in Europe, is celebrating after being crowned "Best country in the world" by Newsweek magazine.
A panel of economists and social policy experts awarded the country the honour after measuring countries according to education, health, quality of life, economic competitiveness and political environment.
Finland beat Australia, in fourth place, the U.S., in 11th place and Britain, which came in 14th.
The country's success was put down in part to its education system. Asked how many children failed to complete school in her city, a Finnish district official told the magazine: “I can tell you their names if you want.”
"We are thrilled,” Alexander Stubb, Finland’s Foreign Minister, said.
“A lot of people probably knew Finland was one of the most competitive countries in the world. A lot know we have a high ranked education system. But the fact that Newsweek gave us the best rank overall is cause to have a couple of pints.”

“In many ways it’s a well kept secret that we are actually quite exceptional,” Aki Riihilahti, a soccer player for the national football team said.
He noted Finland’s education, infrastructure and clean environment. He also thought Finnish handshakes were among the best in the world.
I personally agree with this, but that's just me; flat tax system, efficient and near corrupt-free government, some of the highest education standards in the world, etc etc
If I could get a job there, speak the language and wife would go, I'd move there right after I hit post

Old 08-19-2010, 06:27 AM

317 posts, read 528,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
Finland
I personally agree with this, but that's just me; flat tax system, efficient and near corrupt-free government, some of the highest education standards in the world, etc etc
If I could get a job there, speak the language and wife would go, I'd move there right after I hit post
minus 40 in the winter yeah sweet

Old 08-19-2010, 10:04 AM

25 posts, read 71,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think the police in Australia have it all wrong with speed limits. It's bad driving that causes deaths, not necessarily speed.
Of course you do realise that the police don't make the rules, they simply get told to enforce them.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsa71 View Post
minus 40 in the winter yeah sweet
you're right. I'd rather move to NZ and pay ridiculous tax rates to afford the dole for some substance abuser who commits crime again and again.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:01 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,121,890 times
Quote:
you're right. I'd rather move to NZ and pay ridiculous tax rates to afford the dole for some substance abuser who commits crime again and again.

interesting choice in Finland.
Too cold for me ....

I'm not sure where I'd rather live....I do want to live for a short period at least in NY.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:12 AM

317 posts, read 528,362 times
Quote:
That's right they don't have substance abusers in oz

Old 08-20-2010, 02:18 AM

42 posts, read 59,470 times
"News, Australia still the best place to live"

May of been the case 30 years ago. Our cities are a big concrete jungle where its just a battle for resources. We've gone backwards in the living standards department...

Old 08-20-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post

interesting choice in Finland.
Too cold for me ....

I'm not sure where I'd rather live....I do want to live for a short period at least in NY.
Helsinki's winters don't seem to see the temperatures that most Canadian cities do.

As for NYC, my best friend has been living there for the past few years and I spent Christmas with him. It can be quite expensive to rent and what not but definitely a place to live for at least one year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand