Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:25 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,013,445 times

Advertisements

I have never eaten at Taco Bell nor have I shopped at Costco. I try to avoid Walmart like the plague (or arrogant know it all Californian).
I did not expect to find them in Oz nor did I miss either of the above.
Stereotyping much? Such a typical AMUHRICAN you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 05:44 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I have never eaten at Taco Bell
Of course not, minibrings, why would you? With the fantastic, real Mexican food available in the US, yo no quiero Taco Bell!

Quote:
nor have I shopped at Costco.
No??? I love Costco!!!

Quote:
I try to avoid Walmart like the plague
Not me. I don't mind Walmart, although I'm not crazy about what it's done to the shopping landscape of America. It does seem to eat up small business, which is not a good thing.

And then you know how I feel about Trader Joes!

Gee, maybe I'm actually one of those stereotypical Amurricans?

Old 03-01-2010, 05:51 PM

OMG I forgot about the lack of good Mex in Oz.
Problemo w/ Costco is if you are a single guy you don't really need 2 dozen paper towels and giant containers of ketchup.

Trader Joe's is the ONE American store I missed when I lived in Oz.. that's about it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Of course not, minibrings, why would you? With the fantastic, real Mexican food available in the US, yo no quiero Taco Bell!

No??? I love Costco!!!

Not me. I don't mind Walmart, although I'm not crazy about what it's done to the shopping landscape of America. It does seem to eat up small business, which is not a good thing.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:11 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,570 times
Quote:
OMG I forgot about the lack of good Mex in Oz.
Problemo w/ Costco is if you are a single guy you don't really need 2 dozen paper towels and giant containers of ketchup.
LOL! Yeah, forgot about that. For a family it was a blessing when we lived in Canada. Although I do enjoy it when we're in SD not so much for the buckets and barrels of food items, but for cheap priced novels, jeans, t-shirts, underwear, socks, etc. The basics.

Quote:
Trader Joe's is the ONE American store I missed when I lived in Oz.. that's about it..
I was talking about TJs with my SD friend on the phone just yesterday! We used to love going there to pick stuff up for dinner and bringing it back to her place to cook up. Then there were the dark-chocolate covered dried cherries! MMmmmmmmmm! And I'd be able to pick up a bottle of Penfolds Koonunga Hill for less than I pay here. They also sell grappa from Italy for dirt cheap - like $11 or $12.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I was talking about TJs with my SD friend on the phone just yesterday! We used to love going there to pick stuff up for dinner and bringing it back to her place to cook up. Then there were the dark-chocolate covered dried cherries! MMmmmmmmmm! And I'd be able to pick up a bottle of Penfolds Koonunga Hill for less than I pay here. They also sell grappa from Italy for dirt cheap - like $11 or $12.
Unfortunately, after 2 days without power after a wicked storm I had to throw out most of the food in freezer

Fortunately this gives me an excuse to make a TJs run in Boston..

Old 03-01-2010, 08:02 PM

279 posts, read 673,731 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, after 2 days without power after a wicked storm I had to throw out most of the food in freezer

Fortunately this gives me an excuse to make a TJs run in Boston..
No power???....No problem!!!....just put the food out on the deck, it's colder there than the freezer....

But then we have the bears at night....

Old 03-01-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx View Post
No power???....No problem!!!....just put the food out on the deck, it's colder there than the freezer....

But then we have the bears at night....
Wow. Its mid 40s here and I live in an old mill building (built 1839) overlooking a river.. so no deck. And no bears.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,670,235 times
Quote:

No??? I love Costco!!!

I love trader joes.

Despite all the hysteria about Wal Mart, in all the communities over the past 20 years I have lived in where a Super Walmart went in, all the hysterical happenings about small businesses shutting down and all that has never come off. Not in the towns I was in. If anything it provided an anchor point that attracted even more business around it. Walmart to me is just the same as the general store of the 1800's or the 5 and dime of the early 20th century.

And taco bell? Well living around the USA I have had great tex mex and mexican food, but where I live now there is no place in a 70 mile radius around here to get a taco except taco bell, so yes I eat taco bell once a week.

I think yankdownunder is from California and yes that is one screwed up state. Just an example of what happens when radicals take over the schools, the public sector goes on a welfare and entitlement binge and illegal aliens bankrupt the health system and bring drugs and crime in. And not to mention all the wacky social engineering that the state and communities participate in. Really weird state and citizens. And of course bankrupt now too.

Yankdownunder probably needs to spend time elsewhere in the USA, maybe in "fly over country" perhaps.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think yankdownunder is from California and yes that is one screwed up state. Just an example of what happens when radicals take over the schools, the public sector goes on a welfare and entitlement binge and illegal aliens bankrupt the health system and bring drugs and crime in. And not to mention all the wacky social engineering that the state and communities participate in. Really weird state and citizens. And of course bankrupt now too.

Yankdownunder probably needs to spend time elsewhere in the USA, maybe in "fly over country" perhaps.
Not just visit.. but live. And perhaps learn how to find reputable news sources to support numerous inane claims.

Quote:
LOL! Yeah, forgot about that. For a family it was a blessing when we lived in Canada. Although I do enjoy it when we're in SD not so much for the buckets and! And I'd be able to pick up a bottle of Penfolds Koonunga Hill for less than I pay here. They also sell grappa from Italy for dirt cheap - like $11 or $12.
It still never ceases to amaze me how I pay less for kiwi/aussie wine here than back down under. Also the other day I was at Target and Tim Tams were $2 each!

Old 03-03-2010, 02:43 PM

8 posts, read 18,358 times
Quote:
I guess its like what kiwis like to say.. when a kiwi moves to Oz the IQ rate at both countries go up.. I think the effect of a Californian moving to Oz is amplified for both places.

Again if affordability was a larger factor I think Oz would drop down that list. And so for that matter, would Vancouver.
I totally agree with you Minibrings. If cost of living were a bigger factor , Oz cities will definitely not be on that list as well as Vancouver , it is almost too expensive , especially house prices. I do not know how the average Aussie afford an average house anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand