Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 05:50 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,597 times

Advertisements

No. I'm usually 5 mph over posted speed. In the sticks I was usually the fastest car on the road rarely getting passed. Here in the city I'm like old grandpa getting passed left and right. Crazy drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 05:50 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,695 times
Default Yes

Sure do, why wouldn't I? It's not as if I wait around until the last possible minute to get ready and leave the house. When you're always 10 to 20 minutes early, what reason could you possibly have to go over the speed limit?

I know the speed limits on the roads I take, and I plan my departure based on going no faster than those limits. Actually, here in Maine, where there are a lot of elderly drivers, I plan in extra time in case I get stuck behind one of them.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:53 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
It didn't. There's just a bunch of people that hope that if they talk and act that way, we'll all think they're cool and that it SHOULD be the minimum. Just like there are people who think that it's cool to text and drive. No difference in attitude whatsoever, no matter what they claim or are able to comprehend. The texters, just like the excessive speeders, say to themselves and anyone who will listen, "Well, I am so good that I can text/speed and drive at the same time with no consequences," thinking their rationalizations aren't obvious to everyone who hears them (except the other people who want to text/speed and use the same rationalization). Very much like the ostrich with his head in the sand thinking no one else can see him and his tail feathers.
Driving 15 mph below the posted speed limit isn't cool or smart. It is dangerous. Inconsiderate asswipe thing to do as well. If you can't afford the gas buy a Prius and drive the posted speed limit.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:56 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,145,658 times
If I can go the speed limit on any of the freeways in San Jose, that's good enough for me.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:26 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,071,773 times
If you live in, drive to, will visit the Washington DC area, be aware that in addition to the 197 red light and speed cameras they already have, more are being added. The city announced that 24 more speed cameras will be added not only to highways but CITY streets, 32 at Stop signs [if your vehicle doesn't stop, no rolling wheels before the white line, you ran a stop sign] 16 at crosswalks [to monitor if you yield to pedestrians] 20 at intersections [to monitor gridlock] 8 to ticket commercial vehicles driving through residential areas. Fines will be $50 to $250 It's all for your safety don't you know!!!!!

Old 11-25-2013, 06:33 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,467,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Sure do, why wouldn't I? It's not as if I wait around until the last possible minute to get ready and leave the house. When you're always 10 to 20 minutes early, what reason could you possibly have to go over the speed limit?

I know the speed limits on the roads I take, and I plan my departure based on going no faster than those limits. Actually, here in Maine, where there are a lot of elderly drivers, I plan in extra time in case I get stuck behind one of them.
The only reason I need is because I enjoy it plus I don't want to have people flying on my rear so I will just keep up with them

Old 11-25-2013, 06:37 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,730,641 times
no

Old 11-25-2013, 06:47 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Driving 15 mph below the posted speed limit isn't cool or smart. It is dangerous. Inconsiderate asswipe thing to do as well. If you can't afford the gas buy a Prius and drive the posted speed limit.
If someone can't afford $50 to fill up the gas tank, how do you propose they come up with $24,000 to buy a Prius?

There are times when driving that slow is warranted by conditions. I can think of several roads I drive on regularly where deer and moose collisions are a regular occurrence. Driving a bit slower at night could be the difference in seeing or not seeing it in time to react.

Then there are the roads where you have sharp curves, hill-crests, blind intersections, and so forth. If I don't know what's on the other side of the hill or curve, no way I'm going at full speed!

Old 11-25-2013, 09:38 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
And this justifies the opposite how, exactly? That's clearly what you're trying to do, and it's just as wrong to drive 15 over the limit as it is to drive 15 under the limit; they're BOTH wrong, and BOTH are inconsiderate asswipe things to do, though one is legal and the other isn't so there's that. (Yes, the traffic laws DO apply to you, grow up and get over it.)

And the posted speed limit is still the TOP speed you are legally allowed to drive, not the minimum that you are required to drive. Grow up and get over that, as well.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:49 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And the posted speed limit is still the TOP speed you are legally allowed to drive, not the minimum that you are required to drive. Grow up and get over that, as well.
That new Toll Road down by Austin is Top Speed of 85 in areas. Many people were doing at least 90+

I can't drive that fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive