Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 08:06 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,960,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I consistently do 70-80 on CT highways. My average is pretty much 80 when it's not congested and I keep myself away from packs of Lemmings as I call them. The people who group with a big rig or two or three and wont all flow to move around them, just clog up the lanes doing 60 with no clear idea of which lane is actually moving ahead.
I do 80 mph on Connecticut highways too. Which roads do you normally drive on?

I love the stretch of I-84 from Hartford to the Massachusetts state line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 11:08 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,040,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Oh I must have missed something then; which state is 85?
Texas.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:14 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
I was wondering who around here strictly obeys the speed limits.
For more than 40 years of driving I obeyed the letter of the law insofar as speed limits is concerned. In fact, if you search on my user name, you will see me spouting time and time and time again how a law is a law is a law and that speeding was as bad as murder as far as I was concerned.

Then, one day I got a job that required me to drive long distances on a daily basis and required me to get a certain amount of work done per day. In the summer, when I have 10 - 12 hours of daylight this is no problem. But in the winter, when I have 6 hours of daylight, it is a big problem. Since I have to drive sometimes 30 or 40 miles from one "job" to another, and I have to complete 15 or so jobs a day, I do not have the luxury of going the speed limit. So, in order to do my job, I have no alternative but to drive like a bat out of H*e*l*l*

I would really rather not do this. I would really rather just drive the speed limit, but I have bills to pay.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-26-2013, 11:23 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
I have to disagree with that.

The vast majority of Americans can barely handle the lower speed limits even on Interstates as it is.

Maybe you or I could, but we'd have to share those roads with incompetents and texters!

-- Posted with TapaTalk
Defensive driving is definitely important. I don't know that 5 or 10 or even 15 miles per hour really makes that much difference, however. I notice that no matter how fast I am going, it's not fast enough for somebody behind me. I can't count the number of times I have been passed in a NO PASSING ZONE, only to be behind the car at the next light. I don't understand why people take such foolish chances with their life.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-26-2013, 11:27 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,170,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Defensive driving is definitely important. I don't know that 5 or 10 or even 15 miles per hour really makes that much difference, however. I notice that no matter how fast I am going, it's not fast enough for somebody behind me. I can't count the number of times I have been passed in a NO PASSING ZONE, only to be behind the car at the next light. I don't understand why people take such foolish chances with their life.

20yrsinBranson
Maybe they are rushing to their next job. They have bills to pay.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:42 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,036,582 times
Just drove from San Antonio to North Houston. Drove 75-85 mph the whole way when not in city limits. Always felt "normal" & completely safe. Saw only 1 revenue generator harassing a commercial vehicle on the highway & 2 Harris County sheriffs harassing someone for drug interdiction, it seemed. (Do NOT consent to a search!). Both on the opposite side of the road.

All in all, a good, safe drive for me.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:44 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,036,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Texas.
This map should be updated, it's now 75 mph on I-10 between San Antonio & Houston & I-35 north of Georgetown.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:42 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,960,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Just drove from San Antonio to North Houston. Drove 75-85 mph the whole way when not in city limits. Always felt "normal" & completely safe. Saw only 1 revenue generator harassing a commercial vehicle on the highway & 2 Harris County sheriffs harassing someone for drug interdiction, it seemed. (Do NOT consent to a search!). Both on the opposite side of the road.

All in all, a good, safe drive for me.
It's always good to see the cops busy on the other side of a divided highway. It usually means clear sailing and ticket-free speeding.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:01 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,402,887 times
Default Sometimes

When I was younger, I was more likely to pass than be passed 90% of the time. So I wasn't obeying the limit. This means that on a 55MPH, with the flow going 70, I was pushing 80-85. Now, I go with the flow, with the priority being to keep a safe distance from all vehicles around me. If this means that I have to speed up to maintain that distance, that's what I do, and I have no problem going up to 85 on stretches. However, this is now the exception, and not the rule.

So now I usually go about 5-10 miles over, more if I have to establish a safe distance.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:30 AM

10 posts, read 18,223 times
No. I usually travel 10 above, and even then I get people tailgating me. I'm pretty wise in what model cars speed camera operators use, and fixed speed cameras are easily spotted. The local street directory also shows every fixed speed camera location so they are easy to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive