Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 01:03 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,553,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
MrWillys sounds like the typical GED union left winger who has to cry about something all the time.
Quit whining, you sound like a typical right-winger, always whining about the left.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:21 PM

4,626 posts, read 12,310,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
MrWillys sounds like the typical GED union left winger who has to cry about something all the time.
And if this was true would this somehow make my value as a US citizen greater or less in your eyes under the constitution?

Old 05-17-2014, 01:26 PM

16,686 posts, read 17,460,264 times
Here's a post I put up in a similar thread a while back where it was suggested that not to buy American was unpatriotic;

In the bad old days of British cars, and I'm talking about the 1970s, there was a 'Buy British' campaign.

Essentially it was a campaign based on 'patriotism' trying to persuade car buyers to spend their hard earned cash on products made by the then nationalised British Leyland group.

This included Austin, Morris, Triumph, Rover, Jaguar, MG and so on.

To say that there were industrial relation problems and that the quality of the cars were suspect was to put things mildly.

For a company to use the patriot card I would say that it had lost the plot in terms of actually producing a good quality, reliable product that stood up to scrutiny on its own merits.

It took many years for the British motor industry to lose the stigma of those days, and it was not through blind allegiance to a product just because it was made in Britain, but by facing up to realities and following the best practices employed by other manufacturers around the world.

I feel that this also applies to this thread. I've highlighted the key part.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:31 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,317,198 times
I would never own one of those stinkers myself but know people who do so I have worked on them. I find their build quality is pretty bad and they were not built with easy maintenance in mind at all. I find Honda vehicles are the worst low build quality throw away vehicles around. Honda may make good motorcycles and four wheelers but their cars are the worst. Also the foreign cars tend to be on the small side which is bad.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:00 PM

Why Imports Suck - Toyota Sucks!

This site says it all.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,293,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Why do foreign cars suck?
Why do all your threads suck?

Good God, just go away already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Is that ad for real?

Tell me it isn't.
It's a parody of this PSA.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:19 PM

805 posts, read 1,875,662 times
Quote:
This site says it all.
The public is not daft, there is a reason why the Accord & Camry have been the top selling sedans for a long time.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:26 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,375,659 times
Quote:
During WW2 we went over to a country that idolized the right wing ideal of Nazism feeling they were a superior race and we used the Willys Jeep to kick their azz.
I'll continue to drive Toyotas and you can have your Willys Jeep.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:33 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,210,881 times
Quote:
I'm just curious, but are you like 13 years old? Can you attempt a small bit of a reasonable argument, or is everything a childish game with you?

Foreign brings low wage jobs? Yes / No
Foreign cars can have expensive repairs? Yes / No
Foreign cars take away from good paying jobs? Yes / No

These are only a few reasons why these are bad for America, and overall the small perceived savings is not justified in the end.
The foreign brands create good paying jobs that didn't exist before. I bet Marysville Ohio is happy that Honda decided to build cars there starting in 1982. That Detroit lost overpaying jobs is the fault of the UAW, the automakers that agreed to those contracts, and the management an designers that chose to build mediocrity for 20-30 years.

Why do you think foreign cars need expensive repairs? Mechanics at a Chevy dealer are paid the same as they are at the Toyota dealer down the street. The hourly rate charged customers is the same too. I don't think parts cost more either. And there is plenty of data that shows a Camry or Accord will need LESS service than a Malibu or Chrysler 200. Consumers usually pay more for the Camry and Accord, because they aren't discounted as much. And because the American equivalents depreciate more, you lose even more of your purchase price when you sell.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The foreign brands create good paying jobs that didn't exist before. I bet Marysville Ohio is happy that Honda decided to build cars there starting in 1982. That Detroit lost overpaying jobs is the fault of the UAW, the automakers that agreed to those contracts, and the management an designers that chose to build mediocrity for 20-30 years.

Why do you think foreign cars need expensive repairs? Mechanics at a Chevy dealer are paid the same as they are at the Toyota dealer down the street. The hourly rate charged customers is the same too. I don't think parts cost more either. And there is plenty of data that shows a Camry or Accord will need LESS service than a Malibu or Chrysler 200. Consumers usually pay more for the Camry and Accord, because they aren't discounted as much. And because the American equivalents depreciate more, you lose even more of your purchase price when you sell.
Congratulations, I was beginning to think you were incapable of a good argument. You make some valid points with the exception of overpaid workers. For anyone to think less pay is good is just a flat out stupid concept. Is less consumer spending good for the economy? Foreign owned companies that build cars here have a much better chance at proper service. However, imports have a much higher percentage of having difficult to locate parts.

We also haven't addressed the Nissan issue. I think they should be thrown out of the country if they can't compensate their employees properly. Also, why don't people complain about European made cars labor unions? They keep it specific to only Americans. Honestly, would you rather work for Nissan at $9.25 or be in the UAW and make $30 with benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive