Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 09:11 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,228,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I wasn't talking bad about you I was referring to the vicitimofgm troll that posts daily hate threads about GM.

There are lots of GM haters here because owning a foreign car is a trend. Sheep follow trends smart people follow logic. GM has a track record of 60+ consecutive years of leading in sales globally. Foreign car brands don't have any sales records even HALF close to that. If foreign cars are so superior wouldn't they lead in sales globally year after year... People don't consistently buy "junk" for 60+ years in a row. The foreign car owners are obviously butt hurt and jealous.
The sheep you speak of bought GM for decades. For some of that time it was blind loyalty or irrational patriotism. Eventually GM's poor designs cost them sales. That's what competition does - no matter where it comes from.

I don't care what GM did 60 years ago. I care what they do the next time I am shopping for a car. Same attitude I have about ANY manufacturer.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:41 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,601,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The sheep you speak of bought GM for decades. For some of that time it was blind loyalty or irrational patriotism. Eventually GM's poor designs cost them sales. That's what competition does - no matter where it comes from.

I don't care what GM did 60 years ago. I care what they do the next time I am shopping for a car. Same attitude I have about ANY manufacturer.
So the millions and millions of GMs sold are all from "blind loyalty" and "irrational patriotism" That has to be the most moronic thing I ever read on the internet in the 17+ years I've been using it.

You actually think people can afford 20-60k on a GM vehicle for the sole purpose of showing patriotism You are whacked out of your mind.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:50 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,394,462 times
When GM has a reliability record as good as Lexus and a commitment to service that Lexus has and of bending over backwards to fix their cars like Lexus, then I will be impressed. I think they have the ability to make the most reliable cars out there, they just don't care to.
In the meantime, I'll continue to drive my newer model Chevy that loses a quart of oil every 4000 miles and has a lousy transmission, both of which GM service people have told me is no problem worth them fixing.
Maybe someday soon I'll have enough saved up for a Lexus.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
When GM has a reliability record as good as Lexus and a commitment to service that Lexus has and of bending over backwards to fix their cars like Lexus, then I will be impressed. I think they have the ability to make the most reliable cars out there, they just don't care to.
In the meantime, I'll continue to drive my newer model Chevy that loses a quart of oil every 4000 miles and has a lousy transmission, both of which GM service people have told me is no problem worth them fixing.
GM already has a reliability record a LONG one about 60+ years consecutive record. Again...i feel like a broken record here...GM wouldn't lead in sales globally for 60+ consecutive years if they made unreliable vehicles. You foreign car trolls can spin it however you want but sales numbers don't lie. When your Honda or Toyota leads in GLOBAL sales for 60+ years in a ROW come back and talk to me...

How about start with baby steps and try for 10 consecutive years... then come back here and talk smack

Old 05-17-2014, 10:14 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,054,403 times
Quote:
Would you hold other volume brands such as Chevy to luxury brand levels of service? This seems an extreme, in order to set up a straw dog to knock down.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
GM already has a reliability record a LONG one about 60+ years consecutive record. Again...i feel like a broken record here...GM wouldn't lead in sales globally for 60+ consecutive years if they made unreliable vehicles. You foreign car trolls can spin it however you want but sales numbers don't lie. When your Honda or Toyota leads in GLOBAL sales for 60+ years in a ROW come back and talk to me...

How about start with baby steps and try for 10 consecutive years... then come back here and talk smack
The erosion of sales volume by GM does weaken your argument here. Yes, GM still sells a ton, so someone is satisfied with them. Yet, if they were really head and shoulders above the competition, then their sales would be a lot stronger at this stage too. Plus straight sales volume is not always the best predictor as some automakers sell more on being a discount choice (through better pricing, incentives, etc), even if the product is not as reliable in the long run.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:19 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,723,656 times
Quote:
Ya know, when I think of GM's capabilities I think back to 1991-92 when they introduced Saturn. Those cars were very competitive with Japanese compact cars at the time and they proved GM could make a good small car, but at the same time they kept making outdated cars like the Cavalier. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:26 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,394,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Ya know, when I think of GM's capabilities I think back to 1991-92 when they introduced Saturn. Those cars were very competitive with Japanese compact cars at the time and they proved GM could make a good small car, but at the same time they kept making outdated cars like the Cavalier. It just doesn't make any sense to me.
I had a 1999 Saturn. They had personalized service at their service centers and you felt like you were getting good customer service. Then I noticed a change about 2002, that their service was starting to go downhill, by coincidence, Saturn which had been autonomous, had a year earlier been taken over by the corporate bosses at GM and their service had started to suffer.
My experience is that GM does not have a commitment to excellence, and it has nothing to do with whether it's luxury or not.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Welcome to GM.

Instead of making the best Chevy Cavalier possible, and dominating the small car market GM instead decides to sink tons of money into a completely "new" brand/company to make compact cars.

Saturns were fairly well received, but the creation of this new independent subsidiary cost GM about $5 billion by 1990, at a time when an all new vehicle cost a fraction of that to bring to market.

Had GM poured the money dumped into Saturn into their existing brands, they would have been far better off. Saturn was one of many anchors and not any kind of true success when viewed against the whole.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
The erosion of sales volume by GM does weaken your argument here. Yes, GM still sells a ton, so someone is satisfied with them. Yet, if they were really head and shoulders above the competition, then their sales would be a lot stronger at this stage too. Plus straight sales volume is not always the best predictor as some automakers sell more on being a discount choice (through better pricing, incentives, etc), even if the product is not as reliable in the long run.

If foreign cars are way better then GM or other domestic products why wouldn't people flock to buy them and consistently outsell their competitors? If you could prove to me in what ways foreign cars are engineered better and will last longer I will listen, but I never hear any details. I just hear foreign cars last longer and are more reliable without any hard evidence. Since you foreign car owners have no hard evidence...it doesn't weaken your argument...because in reality there is nothing to argue about without evidence. At least GM has a sales history to back them up, what do foreign car manufacturers have...a bunch of hearsay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive