Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 04:56 AM

9,693 posts, read 10,032,275 times

Advertisements

I have seen were they charge more for foreign car part , as some part for a GM would be under hundred dollar , where a similar part for Toyota they would be asking 600 dollars .........Whether Toyota is responsible for the High cost or the middle man dealer skimming dollars beyond his bounds ..............Same with German car part will cost more then American made parts ......................Probably cost the same to install the parts outside the dealer shop ............ As for quality some parts are engineered poorly and brake downs are expected , where the same parts in other modal no brake down are expected , where there is no difference between foreign and America made , both have some poor quality parts and great parts which never brake down

Old 05-18-2014, 07:04 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,211,013 times
I'd like to offer my opinion from someone who worked both sides of the automotive fence. First, Let me let you know that my career is in parts. I started in a parts dept for Chevy back in 1987 all the way until 2008 when the recession wreaked havoc on GM dealers. I then decided enough was enough and there was an opening in our Acura store so I said what the hell.
Foreign cars do not suck. The parts do not cost more....this is a myth. I thought the parts and service would be more too and when I started there, I saw it was not true at all. Our Chevy store charges $120.00 an hour and so does our Acura store. The parts themselves are not more.....matter of fact, I saw lots of comparable parts being cheaper than some of the GM ones and vice versa. Ever price a headlamp assembly for an Escalade? $2000.......
GM cars in the 80's and thru the 90's were for the most part crap. Even today, at our Chevy store , the Equinox has many issues and we have done many engines in them. At Acura, besides small warranty issues, the cars only come in for maintenance. I can go on and on with examples but I wont. I feel the GM has leveled the playing field with foreign cars to a point. Is one better than the other? Thats up to what you like......but do foreign cars suck? Absolutely not........but these types of posts do.

Last edited by gmdealerguy; 05-18-2014 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-18-2014, 07:12 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,501,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
A Camaro assembled in Canada is far more American than a Nissan built by minimum wage employees in Alabama. The Camaro V8 engines are made in Tonawanda, NY.

Not when that Nissan is assembled with more U.S. made parts than the Lincoln or Camaro. Yes the Camaros engine is produced in the U.S., but the total of parts is still LESS than 50% U.S. sourced AND it is built/assembled in CANADA by CANADIANS. Its a CANADIAN made vehicle, and so is that Lincoln.

Oh yeah.. the few people Ive met that work in Nissans U.S. plants, including Mississippi all make anywhere between $28-$39 an hour and are very happy being very well treated. Prob similar to those Canucks building those Canadian Chevrolets and Lincolns.

Also, Nissan has no production facilities in Alabama, so thats yet another incorrect statement by yourself.

"Nissan says production workers in Canton now make an average of $24.47 an hour, while maintenance workers make $28.49, on average. In Smyrna, the company says production workers make $26.47 on average, while maintenance workers make $30.49 on average."

Old 05-18-2014, 07:29 AM

414 posts, read 932,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I'd like to offer my opinion from someone who worked both sides of the automotive fence. First, Let me let you know that my career is in parts. I started in a parts dept for Chevy back in 1987 all the way until 2008 when the recession wreaked havoc on GM dealers. I then decided enough was enough and there was an opening in our Acura store so I said what the hell.
Foreign cars do not suck. The parts do not cost more....this is a myth. I thought the parts and service would be more too and when I started there, I saw it was not true at all. Our Chevy store charges $120.00 an hour and so does our Acura store. The parts themselves are not more.....matter of fact, I saw lots of comparable parts being cheaper than some of the GM ones and vice versa. Ever price a headlamp assembly for an Escalade? $2000.......
GM cars in the 80's and thru the 90's were for the most part crap. Even today, at our Chevy store , the Equinox has many issues and we have done many engines in them. At Acura, besides small warranty issues, the cars only come in for maintenance. I can go on and on with examples but I wont. I feel the GM has leveled the playing field with foreign cars to a point. Is one better than the other? Thats up to what you like......but do foreign cars suck? Absolutely not........but these types of posts do.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:39 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,578,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
#1 The big 3 have always built in Canada, and wages are comparable. Foreign build in Mexico too, and VW, and Nissan come to mind.

#2 They provide good paying jobs.

#3 this is an opinion that's not even worth pissing on!
So you are excusing GM from out sourcing to Mexico and taking good jobs away from Americans now?
So its bad when someone else outsources but it's ok when GM does it? My are we a hypocrite.

As for #3, same can be said about your opinions.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:54 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,455,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

I suggest that we go back first, European automakers were making superb cars well before WW2. Bugatti, Citoren, Renault, Peugeot, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Opel, Ferrari, Fiat, Maserati, Bentley, Rolls, and Volvo just to name a few were making everything from inexpensive to the most luxurious cars long before the rise of Nazi Germany.
Uh, just for the record, Ferrari wasn't founded as a manufacturer until 1947.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:14 AM

805 posts, read 1,874,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Can we please ban this guy?
No, that is a horrendous idea. We should encourage free speech and debate.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:18 AM

805 posts, read 1,874,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I have seen were they charge more for foreign car part , as some part for a GM would be under hundred dollar , where a similar part for Toyota they would be asking 600 dollars .........
Do you want to provide details that we can double check verify because I'm saying you are wrong.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:22 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,263,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
No, that is a horrendous idea. We should encourage free speech and debate.
There is no such thing as free speech on a privately owned forum. If you break the rules, you should be banned. With Mr Willys, there no debating, he posts the same tired old opinions using 5+ year old stories and treats them as gospel. He also treats other people OPINIONS as fact. Just look at his "Motor Trend" thread

Old 05-18-2014, 11:24 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,624,815 times
I know that by posting in this thread that I am contributing to this, but if you guys really want the OP to shut up about his topic, then don't give him attention and don't make his threads 8+ pages long. At this point he is a lost cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive