Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 11:33 AM

414 posts, read 933,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
No, that is a horrendous idea. We should encourage free speech and debate.
Yes, I agree that free speech and debates that can be conducted without being rude, obnoxious and overbearing should ALWAYS be encouraged.

However, some of the folks on here have a tendency to want to ram their beliefs and ideals down our throats ...that is when said people should be reported for violations of the TOS.

Just sayin'

Old 05-18-2014, 11:44 AM

805 posts, read 1,876,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Winter Soldier View Post
However, some of the folks on here have a tendency to want to ram their beliefs and ideals down our throats ...that is when said people should be reported for violations of the TOS.
That's censorship and it weakens debate.

People should be allowed to post their beliefs and ideas however weird and illogical. The community then can debunk said foolishness.

Take the OP of this thread here....he has many post pro UAW cars and against non Union car and every point he had made has been debunked many times. Yet, he has not made a single valid claim. But the good side is that he has exposed again how bad the UAW is for the millions of consumers in this country, the taxpayer and the share holders of the big 3.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:58 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,505,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
During WW2 we went over to a country that idolized the right wing ideal of Nazism feeling they were a superior race and we used the Willys Jeep to kick their azz. These people who felt superior had these little VW's that were always getting stuck, and were otherwise unreliable.

Fast forward to today, and these companies have gotten smart. They come over here with great promises of cheap cars that really turn out to cost more once you have to repair them. They build plants in poor states with high poverty rates, and then pay low wages. Heck, some of these stupid states have paid American tax payer money to these companies to bring these second rate cars, and low paying jobs to our country. What's worse is the people that think this is a good thing.

Some offer economy with gas sipping little boxes with a very good chance of injury in an accident. Other offer a so called perception of higher quality that really means once it's 10 years old it costs a fortune to repair. These owners are like the Nazism ideal and they feel they are better than others, but most know the real truth.

Foreign Cars Suck - YouTube
Really? My Civic with 180K miles has yet to cost a fortune to repair..

Old 05-18-2014, 12:38 PM

102,255 posts, read 108,215,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
tinfoil hat engage!
Look it up, pal. "PLanned obsolescence" in the auto industry. It was exposed by the media back in the 1960's sometime, which revelation caused a stampede to foreign autos. The American auto industry's response was to try to pressure Congress to enact high tariffs for foreign cars, especially Japanese cars. The public reacted with outrage, demanding that US automakers make their cars competitive with the Japanese competition, something the US automakers refused to do at the time. Fortunately, Congress agreed with the American public, and didn't institute tariffs on imported cars.

It was a huge thing. Just because you never heard of it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:50 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,214,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I have seen were they charge more for foreign car part , as some part for a GM would be under hundred dollar , where a similar part for Toyota they would be asking 600 dollars

Being that I worked for a GM dealer and now our Acura store (that also is an auto mall that has 3 Honda stores, Acura,2 Nissan stores,Toyota,Scion,Subaru and Hyundai) and deals with these other parts on a daily basis because we also have a body shop........I can say this is false. I'm not saying some cant be more than others and vice versa but your statement needs something other than words to back that up. I can, however provide such proof because I see all the bills with our other stores parts prices. Also, more times than not, GM prices are actually a lot higher for parts across the board. Not really sure why.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:19 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,892,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I have no idea what Nissan pays their workers in Mississippi, but I know Hyundai was paying folks here in Alabama around $17 an hour about eight years ago, I can only assume it's higher now. Considering the cost of living here, $17 an hour is a good wage for a factory job.
That's more than Ford pays new hires assembling F-250's here at the truck plant

"The new hires will start at the entry-level salary of $15.78 per hour, the company said."

Ford adding 350 jobs at Ky. truck plant - Times Union

and $15.51 at LAP making Escapes

Nearly 17,000 show up to try for Ford jobs in Louisville

Old 05-18-2014, 04:04 PM

834 posts, read 1,220,606 times
There are way, way too many cars produced in this world and nobody can stop this. Just a few pictures to blow your mind. Sure these unwanted oceans of cars will be used as tax write off to the respective governments. Meaning those are YOUR wasted tax dollars!

Where the World's Unsold Cars Go To Die | Zero Hedge

If we would stop producing cars now and use these unwanted, brand new vehicles we would have enough cars for a decade or so. Plus gazillion unemployed people, of course.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:37 PM

24,528 posts, read 26,076,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
There are way, way too many cars produced in this world and nobody can stop this. Just a few pictures to blow your mind. Sure these unwanted oceans of cars will be used as tax write off to the respective governments. Meaning those are YOUR wasted tax dollars!

Where the World's Unsold Cars Go To Die | Zero Hedge

If we would stop producing cars now and use these unwanted, brand new vehicles we would have enough cars for a decade or so. Plus gazillion unemployed people, of course.
Here is what Truth or Fiction has to say about The unsold cars link above.

Unsold New Cars Are Piling Up-Fiction!

Old 05-18-2014, 05:33 PM

242 posts, read 403,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Why Imports Suck - Toyota Sucks!

This site says it all.
However, the website you listed like you has apparently run out of steam! There are no recent postings on the forums, most of them are from 2012 in 2013 or earlier. I guess people realize that import cars are a superior product in many ways and that domestics just suck!

Old 05-18-2014, 05:42 PM

242 posts, read 403,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
That's more than Ford pays new hires assembling F-250's here at the truck plant

"The new hires will start at the entry-level salary of $15.78 per hour, the company said."

Ford adding 350 jobs at Ky. truck plant - Times Union

and $15.51 at LAP making Escapes

Nearly 17,000 show up to try for Ford jobs in Louisville
Great point and in addition the people making those wages at Ford have to shell over a portion of their salary for union dues. Most of which is wasted on the bigwigs in the unions and is not used for the benefit of the union members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive