Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 12:53 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,817,452 times

Advertisements

I'm in the market for some new rubbers for the car. Was wondering if I should go thru Tire Rack?

Has anyone bought thru Tire Rack?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 05:18 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,492,433 times
We did...I believe it was for our BMW X5. Our only complaint, we paid for overnight delivery and we bought two. One was delivered on time, the other took 4-5 days later in coming. Not sure if it was TR fault tho.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:54 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,267,575 times
Yes, I've dealt with them numerous times. They are very knowledgeable and have a great selection of rubber. I never had any problems at all.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:33 AM

67 posts, read 437,389 times
I've purchased two sets of snow tires from them this past winter. I especially like the web site features such as reviews and closeup of the tread pattern etc.

The tires came in quickly - but I don't think I selected any particular shipping method (usually the cheapest). I searched all around the local area dealers, automotive parts stores, and tire stores for the same tire (comparing prices) and Tire Rack was still by far the least expensive, even with the shipping charges.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:29 AM

9,480 posts, read 11,246,611 times
I've been a satisfied customer since about 1994.

Their site is great for research, I haven't seen anything else like it. Sizes, customer ratings for winter, rain, etc., weights, prices, diameters, RPM (revolutions per mile), it's all there.

TR also tests a number of tires in four-way comparisons.

Usually the tires take about two days to arrive, no matter where I've lived and where their warehouse is.
I always choose the cheapest shipping method, pay attention there since there's no point in spending 100 bucks when 40 will do it.

They are good about returns too. A few weeks ago one of my almost-year-old tires developed a vibration that wouldn't go away. While the TR warranty is out, the Conti warranty should be good since the tire was just under one year old.

It's hit and miss with installers. I used one of TR's recommended installers about 10 months ago.
This was a tire and wheel specialty shop.
I got three different pressures--all closer to 42 than 32--on four tires, the lug nuts were over tight by at least 20 lb. ft., and generally the work "quality" was far below what you'd expect of an 11th grade auto shop class.
Needless to say, I will never return there.

Wal Mart worked fine for me as a mounting facility. They hand torque the lug nuts , actually check pressure , and measure tread depth . Although those depth measures are not always accurate they are close, WM makes the effort, and it's more than others do.
All these data are printed out on your 8 x 11 receipt.

What a concept!

All that is far more than I've typically seen done at the "specialty" and "expert" shops.

Plus for a small premium you can get a lifetime balance good at any Walrus World. Most places, you will pay again for a balance (x 4, since no one knows which tire is off unless they are Tire Psychics) if your wheel throws a weight or if wear causes an imbalance issue.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:37 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,598,188 times
What I like is that you can narrow the review search for tires on your vehicle.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:57 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,720,726 times
I've bought two sets of tires in the past year from them. No problems, easy to deal with.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:31 AM

131 posts, read 421,215 times
Used them a few times for tires. Delivery was easily within a business week, and they can be delivered to where you will get your tires changed. I wouldn't advise it because I like to shop around who will put tires on for me.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:32 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,817,452 times
Thanks....another question....there's been a lot of controversy lately about tire retailers selling what look like new tires but they're actually tires that have been sitting on a shelf for close to 6 years....6 old tires have been shown to be an issue at coming apart during driving resulting in a crash and possibly death.

Does anyone know if Tire Rack checks for that stuff and discards any tires that have a date of manufacture that exceeds maybe 4 years?

Old 07-26-2009, 12:32 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,467,825 times
Tire Rack has been good for me with several cars as well. I like that the salesmen don't pressure you, and can actually speak about the tires that they sell.

Recently, I had to get tires for one of the cars since I was just not happy with the performance of the existing set, and the people at a certain warehouse club knew nothing, except how to push the most expensive tire, which is what I had on the vehicle and which was giving fits. The supposed tire expert suggested that I had to get a new set of the same tire, since I may have gotten a set from a bad batch. I literally told him that I was not insane and walked out. LOL

I called Tire Rack, and they sorted it all out and I paid maybe $5 less per tire (as compared to the other brand), and the new tires are perfect. I have used them in the past for snow tires as well, and they have been superb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive